AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank goodness they lost. The media were beginning to nauseate me this week. Do the AFC actually promote that they've won 4 senior flags? A couple of their supporters at work were saying that they are going for 'their' 5th flag. I remember after the first women's GF, Abbey Holmes on Marngrook claiming "we've now got 3 flags". Seriously?
Heck, if they want to count those premierships, then in comparing standards, Port and other old clubs should count every one of their reserves, u19s, u18s, u17s, u15s premierships as well.

Thank goodness they lost. The media were beginning to nauseate me this week. Do the AFC actually promote that they've won 4 senior flags? A couple of their supporters at work were saying that they are going for 'their' 5th flag. I remember after the first women's GF, Abbey Holmes on Marngrook claiming "we've now got 3 flags". Seriously?
Heck, if they want to count those premierships, then in comparing standards, Port and other old clubs should count every one of their reserves, u19s, u18s, u17s, u15s premierships as well.

Well all ambassadors. I'm actually shocked at how little interest there was even after the AFL Pravda forced promotion ad nauseam.

I mean, they are what they are.

Time to hop on this gravy train, pronto.

I count 88 (see avatar). Still, I think we would reach 200, maybe 250 even, if including all of those.

Missed the final, lost a lot of interest in this season once the Docks went out to be fair, but happy Brisbane won.

They've had player after player desert them, continually been undersold in the media compared to other sides, yet have made three grand finals and now finally have a flag to go with it.

Missed the final, lost a lot of interest in this season once the Docks went out to be fair, but happy Brisbane won.

They've had player after player desert them, continually been undersold in the media compared to other sides, yet have made three grand finals and now finally have a flag to go with it.
Only 8 of Brisbane's original squad are still there, think all 8 played in the GF. I didn't realise they lost 16 players after their 2nd GF in year 2 to the new expansion teams. Thought it was about half that.

Saw a clip of Craig Starcevich's presser, when he was asked about Kennett's demand for a team and expansion and he said where was he and Hawthorn 5 years ago, when they didn't even bid and now are demanding a team? Basically he said to take expansion slowly and build the strength and depth of the comp first.

Obviously self interest talking, but I get he and the Lions wouldn't want to have to replace 16 players at the end of this year if 2 new teams get a licence for 2022.

From what I can work out, the crows had 10 players who played in both 2017+2019 flags on their list and only Randall missed this GF, + 7 players who won the flag in 2019 and 6 of them played yesterday.

It is not a full time league so the majority of players come from the state the side they play for is based in.

You can't expect players in huge numbers to go and play and train interstate for 3 or 4 months, resign from their job and then expect their employer to re-employ them or leave study behind and continually fall behind.

So yeah, most players who nominate for the national draft, even though they can nominate whichever region/state they want, are going to nominate a state or metropolitan region where they live and has a club. So obviously the talent pool outside the state the player lives and the club is based will have minimal impact on them, but it will if expansion concessions are granted.

A few players, (that aren't a marquee signing or pre-list signing), are drafted by a side in a different state to the one where the player, plays in but it tends to be the bottom of the pile players or delisted players.

The talent pool was shallow in SA because no real money was poured into development of female football, compared to WA, where the WAFC took women's footy seriously 15 years before the SANFL did, and when the AFL took over other state leagues/associations, those associations poured more resources into the female game than the SANFL did.

It's why SA played in Div 2 of the national champs with NT, ACT and Tassie and didn't win every year.

But there has been a massive expansion in SA since 2017 and whilst there is good grass roots infrastructure of clubs close by the girls in Adelaide say compared to Brisbane or GC, they have issues re physical infrastructure in particular changing rooms and access to ovals.

The crows lucked out in partnering up with NT females for a third of their side the first 3 years. They "pinched" the best female footballer Erin Phillips from Port and basketball, because we didn't have a side. Signing WA star Chelsea Randall as their first marquee player was a massive coup. She had played for Swan Districts for a decade, won premierships there, won the WAWFL B&F player twice and was a 3 or 4 time All Australian at national championships.

Other thing the crows did right was sign and draft 8 or 9 players from Morphettville Park, who were the dominant side in SA Women's Football League for 6 or 7 years before AFLW started, and those players had played footy together, some for many years. Yes the crows have spent the resources developing players, but most were local girls.

Port will have to spend resources and hide talent to be more than just competitive from day 1. The local talent pool will be better than it was at the end of 2016, but who knows what the bloody zone, pre-signing, marquee, concession and draft rules will be available to Port around 2023/24 when we get a licence.
Wow, that sounds so familiar, Port 1997.

The sanfl really does get up every morning and think of new ways to stuff Port Adelaide around doesn't it?

https://indaily.com.au/sport/footba...ide miss AFLW boat while on the road to China

Koch remains frustrated by the SANFL repeatedly not endorsing Port Adelaide’s wish to set up its AFLW program through the State league SANFLW.

“They refuse to invite us to that competition when we want to be a part of it,” Koch said. “We push on with our own plans, like the redevelopment of the Alberton Oval precinct, which is to be a focal point of our development programs for young women wanting to play Australian football.”

On the general theme of the article, Koch is right in that we can have both. The China push has seen us expand and stabilise our sponsorship base, and getting into AFLW will broaden our community appeal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sanfl really does get up every morning and think of new ways to stuff Port Adelaide around doesn't it?

https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2021/04/16/did-port-adelaide-miss-aflw-boat-while-on-the-road-to-china/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=InDaily Lunchtime 16 April 2021&utm_content=InDaily Lunchtime 16 April 2021+CID_e93b362f2eb09e74d7573a479929ee7f&utm_source=EDM&utm_term=Did Port Adelaide miss AFLW boat while on the road to China

On the general theme of the article, Koch is right in that we can have both. The China push has seen us expand and stabilise our sponsorship base, and getting into AFLW will broaden our community appeal.
A look at the VFLW ladder shows the 2 Vic clubs not in the AFL, have a team, as does the other 8 and Port Melbourne and Darebin, who was the dominate team in the VWFL - Daisey Pearce's old team. No fear there from the local league that Essendon and the Hawthorn wil dominate the league.

Sydney like Port, don't have a women's team in any guise but are doing the development stuff.

You can see it, Essendon and Hawthorn will get the next 2 licenses and Sydney and Port will be the last 2.

On the field, an AFLW team remains a priority, and in 2017 we started building a talent pipeline for a future Sydney Swans women's team by expanding the QBE Sydney Swans Academy to include a Youth Girls program.

In 2021, 326 female athletes will participate in the QBE Sydney Swans Academy. Of those, 224 will participate in the Youth Girls program (U12 to U15 age groups) and 92 in the new Top End program (U16 to U19 age groups).
Recently the Top End girls teams created history, becoming the first female teams to play for the red and white. Both sides marked the momentous occasion by defeating cross-town rivals GWS in their opening matches.

Last edited:
I’m actually ok with us coming in once the AFLW is better established. We’ve got other ducks to line up before we can do it justice.

As for the SANFLW, how do they justify not allowing a foundation club into the women’s league? What’s their reasoning?

... As for the SANFLW, how do they justify not allowing a foundation club into the women’s league? What’s their reasoning?
No AFL in the SNAFL(W) :rolleyes:

They don't need to justify it and can't because they won't come out and say that it is purely to spite us.

No AFL in the SNAFL(W) :rolleyes:

They don't need to justify it and can't because they won't come out and say that it is purely to spite us.

Do the crows have a development team in the SANFLW?

Whatever happened to the Port Adelaide women's team that the club formed a partnership with a few years ago? Wound up? I just went through the Adelaide Footy League tables, 40+ clubs/teams over 7 divisions (+ div 1 reserves comp) but no Ports.

No, they already have a AFLW team. They don't need a pathway to develop new players outside of the AFLW system.

Ok, I was thinking it was more like a reserves/senior type arrangement.

Perhaps that's why the SNAFL is baulking at Port joining, presuming we'll just up and leave once we get the AWFL nod.

Whatever happened to the Port Adelaide women's team that the club formed a partnership with a few years ago? Wound up? I just went through the Adelaide Footy League tables, 40+ clubs/teams over 7 divisions (+ div 1 reserves comp) but no Ports.

Port Districts, wasn't it?

We had a team in the SAWFL until about 2015 from memory.

I’m actually ok with us coming in once the AFLW is better established. We’ve got other ducks to line up before we can do it justice.

As for the SANFLW, how do they justify not allowing a foundation club into the women’s league? What’s their reasoning?
Zones. They don’t want to have two distinct zoning maps.

The viewpoint of the SANFL, and the other clubs, whether right or wrong, is that we can't be both an AFL club and an SANFL club. They have taken the position that we no longer have a right to field teams in any SANFL competition as per other SANFL clubs, only an AFL reserves team. We have no right to women's teams, juniors, men's reserves, and even the local primary schools that would come down and represent the club in the mini league at half-time was pulled from us. We are an AFL club that plays its reserves in the SANFL competition, that's it. Being a foundation club of the SANFL is no longer a care-factor of the SANFL and its clubs. Let's not forget that they voiced their viewpoint of Port during our dark years struggling for money where the papers described the SANFL bailing us out with their money. Bohdan Jaworskyj opposed the bail-out having written to North's members to remember that upon joining the AFL "we (Port) danced on their graves". These clubs don't believe we have a right to succeed in the SANFL and be the strong club that we once were. The current president of Centrals said to me years before 2014, "You know what will happen when the Magpies become the Power reserves. We will take away all your juniors. We will destroy your culture". Note how he used 'we', that doesn't mean Centrals alone, all the clubs had this planned for some time. They are bitter and it will never change. They view Port as the club that left them to die and they don't want any further traces of Port Adelaide success in their league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back