AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

FMD the tier 1 players got paid $32k this year and $37k next year. What has she dont to justify 4 times their pay? Let her sign as many ASA's as she can, but the AFL would have to change their whole CBA for her. That aint happening.

For those who are interested in Port getting a team - there's talk of the AFLW expanding to 18 teams and starting in December for a 2022/2023 season. So potentially only 1 more season on the sidelines for us.

For those who are interested in Port getting a team - there's talk of the AFLW expanding to 18 teams and starting in December for a 2022/2023 season. So potentially only 1 more season on the sidelines for us.
Who said that or who is reporting that?

I'd be surprised if the AFL would introduce 4 sides in one big band and have to find over 100 players and maybe ask every existing club to give up say 4 players. They have so far indicated it will be 2 then 2 more one or two years later.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest

I'd be surprised if the AFL would introduce 4 sides in one big band and have to find over 100 players and maybe ask every existing club to give up say 4 players. They have so far indicated it will be 2 then 2 more one or two years later.

Tayla Harris asking for 150k per season. At 9 games a year that's normalised to 366k for 22 games a year. Not to mention the shorter pre-seasons and not full time conditions.

Insane demand at this stage, surely.
Jack Strange is getting robbed blind with his $200 a game. He'd win plenty of Brownlow's in the womens league.

Edit: Just saw Garibaldi Red's post, will leave this key info here for those that can't be bothered with the link.

The AFLW would go head-to-head with cricket and the Australian Open tennis from 2022-23 under a proposal before the AFL that would see two women’s seasons played in the same calendar year.

The future of AFLW will be on the agenda when the league’s competition committee meets on Tuesday.

The four AFL clubs yet to be admitted into the women’s competition - Sydney, Hawthorn, Essendon and Port Adelaide - are all pushing to enter the league, with the Hawks and Bombers adamant they should be allowed to field a side next season.

While the AFL is yet to make a decision, the pathway for AFLW expansion and the season structure is set to be decided by the AFL Commission at a meeting next week.

Well-placed sources confirmed on Monday that among the possibilities on the table is for the 2022 season to be played in a similar January-April window as 2021, while retaining the status quo of a 14-team competition.

Under the proposal, the following season would begin in December 2022 and be the first to feature all 18 clubs.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
150k for hacking a footy a around the park.

Where do I apply?
You forgot the brand. The footy-related part of the salary would be on par with the rest of the league (probably, just a bit higher — but I don’t watch the games to know this).

The difference is due her name and image.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tayla Harris asking for 150k per season. At 9 games a year that's normalised to 366k for 22 games a year. Not to mention the shorter pre-seasons and not full time conditions.

The funny thing is though, that there wouldn't be too many people that have her profile, her media coverage, a statue made of her etc, that are making less than 150k.

Despite probably not being in the top 30 players in the AFLW at any stage of her career, she has become their marquee attraction, and will get people through the gates. It's not as ridiculous a demand as it sounds. It's what it would do to the rest of the league's pay packets which is where the issue would be.

AFLW is Gil's legacy. Last week he hit 7 years as CEO. All 18 teams with a team before he goes would complete it.

Dont reckon he will go past 10 years as CEO. Oakley did 10 years, Jackson 7, Demetriou lasted 10.5 years.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
AFLW is Gil's legacy. Last week he hit 7 years as CEO. All 18 teams with a team before he goes would complete it.

Dont reckon he will go past 10 years as CEO. Oakley did 10 years, Jackson 7, Demetriou lasted 10.5 years.

2 years at most. Eddie's already organising Gil's replacement.

Taylor Harris should be paid her worth as a player by her club in line with the rest of the player cohort.

There should also be a different pool of money, provided by the AFL, to pay for her image and brand rights which would provide her opportunities to elevate her earnings to the level she's asking for. Same goes for any other players that are being used to promote the game. It should be separate from her earnings as a player.

It's one thing to say that the request from Harris is too high, but given the AFL and their sponsors are using her image to build the presence of the game around the country, then she should be entitled to tap that while it's running hot.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Taylor Harris should be paid her worth as a player by her club in line with the rest of the player cohort.

There should also be a different pool of money, provided by the AFL, to pay for her image and brand rights which would provide her opportunities to elevate her earnings to the level she's asking for. Same goes for any other players that are being used to promote the game. It should be separate from her earnings as a player.

It's one thing to say that the request from Harris is too high, but given the AFL and their sponsors are using her image to build the presence of the game around the country, then she should be entitled to tap that while it's running hot.

I couldn’t agree more really.

The “two pools of money” helps clarifyng what is equal pay, what is different, and why.

Depends on how much they make from her.
If her image brings in the sponsorship dollars, then she’s entitled to it.

There’s a fair bit of me me me about Harris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
She’s a pro sportsperson, with an even more limited window than the men.
What do you expect?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
She’s a pro sportsperson, with an even more limited window than the men.
What do you expect?
Do you expect other people to treat her differently to other self important players like Dangerfield because of her gender?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The funny thing is though, that there wouldn't be too many people that have her profile, her media coverage, a statue made of her etc, that are making less than 150k.

Despite probably not being in the top 30 players in the AFLW at any stage of her career, she has become their marquee attraction, and will get people through the gates. It's not as ridiculous a demand as it sounds. It's what it would do to the rest of the league's pay packets which is where the issue would be.
Wouldn't be too many people with all that from playing a part time sport with plenty of time in the rest of the year pursue everything else.

I mean, Connor McGregor got whooped in a boxing match, but at least nobody made a statue.

Thats what ASAs cover. As I wrote before she can go and do all the deals she wants. The AFL dont use her image that mucb more than other players.

Do you expect other people to treat her differently to other self important players like Dangerfield because of her gender?

Making s**t up in your head again?
It’s not a level playing field.

By the by, many AFL player wages are totally distorted and out of whack with their contributions to the sport and the money that flows into the game. The fact that first year draftees are now paid 6 figures salaries for basically being underdeveloped junior footballers straight out of high school and unlikely to play many or any senior games is a minor outrage. That money should be allocated to the actual AFL players who put on the show and create the spectacle. If you're good enough to play a lot of senior footy early ala Rozee, Butters and Duursma, that's what the additional ~5k per match worth of match payments are for.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

"I have a statue you know. Have you seen my statue? Have you seen my statue?"

Back