AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I cant see it being anything other than Essendon/Sydney in 2022 and Port/Hawks in 2023.

I suspect Kennet knows this, hence the angst.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It might be that they bring in all 4 at once. If it is 2 and 2 though, I reckon we are in an OK position given they'll want to water down Adelaide's dominance.

This is exactly the sort of comment the critics of AFLW need to read.

Great news. Also like that they're starting in December. Hopefully that eventually gets pushed back even further for a longer season and plenty of exposure for the game.

My kids ask my why boys can't play netball when it's on tv. Kids ask lots of questions, it means squat to it's success or failure.

Whatever happened to the Port Adelaide women's team that the club formed a partnership with a few years ago? Wound up? I just went through the Adelaide Footy League tables, 40+ clubs/teams over 7 divisions (+ div 1 reserves comp) but no Ports.
They were initially a stand alone club, then when you went "One Club" you took over the PAWFC (ontop of the PAMFC)

Pre-merger you along with Morphetville Park were the powerhouses of womens football. But as the womens game grew, the PAFC neglected the team and after a few years it collapsed.

Players felt neglected by the club and didn't feel a part of the club like they previously had been when it was stand alone.

The killing blow was when the SAAFL (now AdFL) kicked out clubs from higher leagues. West Adelaide was using the league to keep their SANFL together and gaining chemistry by having their own team, but when got kicked out, they got around it by aligning themselves with Fitzroy. Port just let their players go their own way and not even try and keep the team together. Some went to SMOSH West Lakes, others (including someone I dated) went to North Haven.

It's why I roll my eyes at statements by Koch saying you're building the womens games from the ground up (rather than the top down as the Crows are). The club (While you were on the board Koch) neglected the game and are jumping back on when you realise it's beneficial long term to the game.

With the announcement today I look forward to playing each other in womens too. WIll be good for the growth of the game. Im just hopeful the Womens showdowns are played at Adelaide Oval, as it'd be near on impossible at either Alberton or any other SANFL Ground (Remember, Crows crowds pre-covid were 10k+)

With the announcement today I look forward to playing each other in womens too. WIll be good for the growth of the game. Im just hopeful the Womens showdowns are played at Adelaide Oval, as it'd be near on impossible at either Alberton or any other SANFL Ground (Remember, Crows crowds pre-covid were 10k+)

Yeah I reckon Alberton or Norwood/Thebarton will be fine if people have to actually pay to go.

It might be that they bring in all 4 at once. If it is 2 and 2 though, I reckon we are in an OK position given they'll want to water down Adelaide's dominance.

“Based on their submissions and readiness”, the teams could enter the competition in the season beginning in December of 2022.
The full AFL statement is here...

Looking at the Club website it looks as if we are raring to go in '22.

According to Matthew Richardson, “We are well placed to enter the AFLW competition in Season Seven which will commence in late 2022. Our AFLW working group are well progressed in preparation for the business model submission and the upgrade of our facilities at Alberton Oval are also aligned with this timeline."

1620890392750.png

They were initially a stand alone club, then when you went "One Club" you took over the PAWFC (ontop of the PAMFC)

Pre-merger you along with Morphetville Park were the powerhouses of womens football. But as the womens game grew, the PAFC neglected the team and after a few years it collapsed.

Players felt neglected by the club and didn't feel a part of the club like they previously had been when it was stand alone.

The killing blow was when the SAAFL (now AdFL) kicked out clubs from higher leagues. West Adelaide was using the league to keep their SANFL together and gaining chemistry by having their own team, but when got kicked out, they got around it by aligning themselves with Fitzroy. Port just let their players go their own way and not even try and keep the team together. Some went to SMOSH West Lakes, others (including someone I dated) went to North Haven.

It's why I roll my eyes at statements by Koch saying you're building the womens games from the ground up (rather than the top down as the Crows are). The club (While you were on the board Koch) neglected the game and are jumping back on when you realise it's beneficial long term to the game.

Mate the oval was half full at the grand final with free tickets. There were a smattering of people all season, the oval would be ridiculous. If anything crowds will suffer with four more teams diluting the pool even more.

I think the first women's showdown though may draw a big crowd if hype takes over with a caveat it depends on if ticket pricing, we all know the AFL can * that up in their sleep.

Bloody shame the ******* Croms got first dibs on tne SA audience...again 😡😡

Is it really that hard to look it up yourself then believe AFL Pravda?

I'll edit this to add, look at the minute interest on bigfooty and that tweet and match that up with what the AFL tells you. What they aren't telling you is they are addicted to the gov cash they can manipulate their way from it. That cash won't last forever.

Bloody shame the ******* Croms got first dibs on tne SA audience...again 😡😡

I’m a big supporter of women’s footy, but those numbers are bullshit 😂.
Very creative contextualising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a big supporter of women’s footy, but those numbers are bullshit 😂.
Very creative contextualising.

I love the 6.1 million viewers one. It's actually 300,000 people who've watched 20 games over 5 years.

I love the 6.1 million viewers one. It's actually 300,000 people who've watched 20 games over 5 years.
20 percent of 155k over 5 years (as new fans) is 34k people who have never been to a game before.
Spread between all the teams, it’s not as great as it sounds.
There’s no need of this misleading stuff.

I reckon this claim of neglect is nonsense. It appeared to be that the Port women's team was doomed because the sanfl excluded them from joining the league. Just like the Magpies reserves under the sanfl's rotten deal there was no hope of these teams remaining competitive because they couldn't retain quality players.

Ralph reckons all 4 remaining teams will be in for 2022/23 - we'll find out in a few hours time:

AFLW expansion: AFL expected to lock in 18-team AFLW competiton for 2022-23 season
The AFLW is expected to embrace more teams into the competition in a landmark day for the code. Find out which clubs are tipped to enter the league.

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.

The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

Ralph reckons all 4 remaining teams will be in for 2022/23 - we'll find out in a few hours time:

AFLW expansion: AFL expected to lock in 18-team AFLW competiton for 2022-23 season
The AFLW is expected to embrace more teams into the competition in a landmark day for the code. Find out which clubs are tipped to enter the league.

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.

The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

Didn't the AFL already say this months ago?

It is who is in next year that has been up in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back