afl womens venues

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold coast will probably play at southport or maybe the training ground, and I think they are playing a game in Townsville (or something). Not sure about the Eagles but would thing it would be at a good wafl ground. Saints and tigers will be at the grounds they use to train at.

I think the draw will be out soon, i think they needed the structure of the draw to be rubber stamped by the Commission

West Coast hope to play home games at their new setup in Lathlain, now named Mineral Resources Park (listed capacity at 15k but I can't see how it would still be that high after the recent upgrades). And I hope to see the inaugural AFLWestern Derby scheduled at Perth Stadium later in the season (once cricket is finished), but that might be overly fanciful thinking.

North will also play one, maybe two, games at Arden Street.

Brisbane's new base in Springfield won't be ready until the 2021 season.

Gold coast will probably play at southport or maybe the training ground, and I think they are playing a game in Townsville (or something).
Yeah the Suns have a three-year deal to play one home game per season at Great Barrier Reef Arena at Harrup Park in Mackay. Brisbane Heat has drawn record WBBL crowds there (which admittedly are modest 5-6k numbers). Wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up Adelaide's expired commitment in Darwin, too.

Pretty sure that's all we're supposed to know about at this point. There's been one or two oddballs every season though so I'm expecting that to be the case again. Will they fixture another night game at Drummoyne resulting in a blackout fiasco three years running? Don't rule it out!

Btw who else watched yesterday's VFL game at Punt Road and thought the fence is dangerously close to the boundary line? Either way, it also looked like s**t having the low camera angle and even worse with it facing north-west late in the afternoon (cue epic JJ Abrams lens flare). Keeping in theme with a lot of the old suburban grounds which don't exactly help present AFLW as a league too concerned about professionalism.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but Caro mentioned a major sticking point with the fixtures is curtain raisers. The main problem being changerooms that the AFLW players consider appropriate and comparable to the mens at the major ground. So basically the grounds would need four big changerooms.

She said Adelaide Oval and most likely the MCG would be okay, what would be the situation at other major grounds?

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but Caro mentioned a major sticking point with the fixtures is curtain raisers. The main problem being changerooms that the AFLW players consider appropriate and comparable to the mens at the major ground. So basically the grounds would need four big changerooms.

She said Adelaide Oval and most likely the MCG would be okay, what would be the situation at other major grounds?

The MCG has only 3 changerooms available for players I think. Adelaide Oval has 4 including the Crows and Port only changerooms. 1 changeroom for each ground is reserved for the umpires

The MCG has only 3 changerooms available for players I think. Adelaide Oval has 4 including the Crows and Port only changerooms. 1 changeroom for each ground is reserved for the umpires
From what i have read on the situation is that it is complex with some wanting more games and others wanting better conditions (which may have something to do with the changerooms and curtain-raisers), but i would expect that it would be more to do with the hours trained and things like that. From what i recall from last season there was no curtain raisers played, with the gf on the day after port (?) Played in rd1

Adelaide Oval has 7 in total. The Crows only, Port only, visiting AFL and then four in the members stand for cricket/ other sports. Caro said the AFLW players Union were happy with the size of the members stand changerooms (main cricket rooms).

From what i have read on the situation is that it is complex with some wanting more games and others wanting better conditions (which may have something to do with the changerooms and curtain-raisers), but i would expect that it would be more to do with the hours trained and things like that. From what i recall from last season there was no curtain raisers played, with the gf on the day after port (?) Played in rd1

There are a heap of things they need to work through. One small part being the AFL want AFLW curtain raisers to save on broadcast costs but that can only happen if there are facilities. In the near future they have said they want them to be comparable to what the men use.

I was just interested what grounds would need upgrading to accommodate that.

Adelaide Oval has 7 in total. The Crows only, Port only, visiting AFL and then four in the members stand for cricket/ other sports. Caro said the AFLW players Union were happy with the size of the members stand changerooms (main cricket rooms).
7?
I’ve only been under the members stand once and I thought there we’re 3 there?
The 2 cricket team changerooms (used for curtain raiser teams) and a 3rd which the afl umpires use.
The curtain raiser umpires used the cricket umpire rooms (which would barely be big enough for a volleyball team)

I’m wondering if I’m forgetting 1. The area which north Adelaide celebrated their premiership is the cricket lunch area, plus Auskick changing area. But it’s open between the 2 southern rooms and 1 northern room

Either way, there’s enough rooms at Adelaide oval anyway.

Does anybody (RussellEbertHandball ???) know when Norwood Oval's redevelopment is due to be completed and whether it could effect AFLw games?
Last year the south/west stand was torn down and reduced capacity slightly. But they western stand is currently gutted with the umpires changerooms taken away and I wonder if it's safe for a full crowd above the gaping hole.

Im thinking a lot about next season as I might sign up for the top tier womens membership if I can utilise the benefits. But a combination of holidays (missing 3 straight weekends in February) and venue (Norwood oval good, Unley oval) will determine what I do.

Does anybody (RussellEbertHandball ???) know when Norwood Oval's redevelopment is due to be completed and whether it could effect AFLw games?
Last year the south/west stand was torn down and reduced capacity slightly. But they western stand is currently gutted with the umpires changerooms taken away and I wonder if it's safe for a full crowd above the gaping hole.

Im thinking a lot about next season as I might sign up for the top tier womens membership if I can utilise the benefits. But a combination of holidays (missing 3 straight weekends in February) and venue (Norwood oval good, Unley oval) will determine what I do.
This was the story I read in May in the Tiser's messenger section

Work is expected to begin on the $8 million redevelopment of Norwood Oval in less than a fortnight.
Norwood Football Club president Paul Di Iulio said builder Schiavello was recently appointed for the revamp, which includes a new stand and function centre – to be known as the Wolf Blass Community Centre – where the Baulderstone Stand once stood.

It was demolished in October. Mr Di Iulio said the work would begin on May 13 and was expected to be finished in time for the 2020 football season, in either February or March.

The Adelaide Crows declined to comment on the number of games it might hold at Norwood Oval next year for the AFLW season. An AFLW spokeswoman said a fixture would be released in late October.

I wish the Norwood-Payneham council kept their constitutes in the loop.
I love when we receive mail in regards to future plans and to raise any queries with the council
We send something through
Then they go ahead and do it anyway without acknowledging our concern

I hadn't heard anything in regards to Norwood oval in years since they sent out a little survery asking us for our preference from 3-5 options. I don't even know which one they went with. Just that they delayed it a year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the lowest capacity AFLW Stadium?
Punt Road would just crack 5K with OHS and other regulations.
You can fill out to 10K like both AFL GF Training session but that was packed to the brim with people shoulder to shoulder.

What's the lowest capacity AFLW Stadium?
Punt Road would just crack 5K with OHS and other regulations.
You can fill out to 10K like both AFL GF Training session but that was packed to the brim with people shoulder to shoulder.
Of the venues that have been played at previously I would say Hickey Park has the lowest with roughly 4,800. Punt rd is said to be 6k

Of the venues that have been played at previously I would say Hickey Park has the lowest with roughly 4,800.
Collingwood used to play at Olympic Park where there were no stands whatsoever (I guess technically the crowd could fit in the surrounding parklands but there would be no elevated view)

Well the fixture that came out 10 days ago or so has answered your question.

The crows play their home AFLW games at Richmond Oval, except for when they play Richmond, that home game is at Unley Oval - sorry Peter Motley Oval.

Surely the AFL are not that *in' paranoid that they can't have Richmond play at Richmond Oval in SA?

Well the fixture that came out 10 days ago or so has answered your question.

The crows play their home AFLW games at Richmond Oval, except for when they play Richmond, that home game is at Unley Oval - sorry Peter Motley Oval.

Surely the AFL are not that fu**in' paranoid that they can't have Richmond play at Richmond Oval in SA?

SANFL conflict? the SANFL womens league were playing at this time last year, with the bloods playing two of the March weekends there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back