AFL X - seven-a-side football - The X makes it sound cool.

Is a modified game of Aussie rules on a soccer pitch a good idea?

• Yes

• No

• I'd need more info on it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Futsal is soccer's 5-a-side version of the big game and it is used by many clubs to hone the skills of the players, particularly young players. The ball is smaller and heavier than a normal football so the game is generally played on the ground and ball skills are key. With fewer players and small pitches, all members of a team get regular touches.

Aussie Rules does need a smaller game that can be played either indoors or on a smaller pitch, but the game needs to focus on the skills of kicking, handballing and positioning. Whilst tackling is a skill, it means that games can only be played on a grassed surface and the physicality might put some people off playing it recreationally. It also prevents there being mixed teams. (9's has the advantage here). The only contact that should be allowed is like in basketball where you try and block your opponents pass rather than grab them and using your body to position for marking or taking possession.

The point of a game like this should be to build the basic skills in young players and to keep regular footballers in good touch and a bit of fitness. It's concerning that the AFL seem to want to market it and sell it to TV as a first step. It would have been nice for them to licence the game to the general public, similar to the way they market Auskick, and then see how it goes. (I doubt that the rules or the configuration of the field are so amazing that the AFL has spent enormous amounts of money getting it off the ground).

Lastly, with the new women's league, it is also a shame that the rules (tackling) seem to make it impractical to have mixed teams which would have been a good way to get more women interested in the game. There may not be enough interest by women to be able to make full teams otherwise, but we'll see.

The main point I feel is they want to play it on rectangle fields (FIELDS) but why not stick with the AFL 9's thing, it's got a name brand already and you can just add tackling/bumping, and play it on a rectangle ...

Brand differentiation maybe? Could get confusing if you have two different versions of AFL 9's (ie girls less inclined to play because they associate it with full contact).

I play 9's and often wish there was more room on the field even in a non-contact game, I could see how less players would be the go if the AFL is trying to create a unique one-on-one contested game.

Sounds like pretty good fun to me and if I was still able to play full contact footy without feeling like someone had attacked my knees with a sledgehammer I'd happily give it a go during the off-season.

Last edited:
How many of you have played AFL9s before? Its fundamentally flawed for these reasons.

9 players each side on a soccerfield is equivilant to two 36 player teams in a regular game, aka way too congested. 7 seems a much better number for both onfield space and ability to actually get a team together (Ive played 7 v 7 before due to lack of numbers and the game flowed MUCH better).
On top of that the "last person touching it gives away the free" is garbage and fails to reward spoils and defensive work at all. You either intercept mark or allow the opposing forwards to have a shot on goal.
Lack of tackling also sucks ass as well as its very possible to have "light tackling" that is very safe without having full on shirt-fronts and getting slammed.

AFL-X sounds like a massive improvement and would be a good summer sport for off season local league players who dont play cricket or basketball (like me).

Would work overseas.

Imagine this scenario.

Wembley Stadium virtually is unused most of the English football season and the off-season.

Have AFLX playing there in say 10 years time with a lot of Aussie ex-pats playing in it.

We can only dream - it's this that could make the game successful away from home in the Northern winter for example.

It could work...
I think that they would have to half the playing time as well to interest people wanting to see a small and fast game style. It would be like fast 4 tennis and there would be exhibition matches before the preseason. I would definitely watch it to get some footy fix in January-February after the test series and the Aussie open. Summer is for cricket and the A-league and tennis so it wouldn't be that successful. IMO they shouldn't do it it wouldn't work.

Last edited:
A lot of competitions internationally (Japan AFL, AFL Central/Northern England to name a couple) are already played on football/rugby pitches and they are 9-a-side, which works. Not sure why the AFL don't just run with developing that.

How many of you have played AFL9s before? Its fundamentally flawed for these reasons.

9 players each side on a soccerfield is equivilant to two 36 player teams in a regular game, aka way too congested. 7 seems a much better number for both onfield space and ability to actually get a team together (Ive played 7 v 7 before due to lack of numbers and the game flowed MUCH better).
On top of that the "last person touching it gives away the free" is garbage and fails to reward spoils and defensive work at all. You either intercept mark or allow the opposing forwards to have a shot on goal.
Lack of tackling also sucks ass as well as its very possible to have "light tackling" that is very safe without having full on shirt-fronts and getting slammed.

AFL-X sounds like a massive improvement and would be a good summer sport for off season local league players who dont play cricket or basketball (like me).
I've played AFL9s, but admittedly only at Corporate Games and not park competition. So the rules are probably bit relaxed even more.

But I also play Touch Footy (Rugby League) and that is a much more mature game and the rules are well defined.

AFL9s rules and how they actually play are very different and I can see it's a new game as it's changed from the years I played. One year you can only have a shot at goal from a mark, then the next year they allowed open play goals. Also the non-contact side of things is out the door for ball in dispute (off ruck taps) and marking contests. One of our guys had white line fever and dived in on a ground ball and feared for my legs being smashed into pieces.

"AFL X" It's like they're stuck in the marketing of 90's children's toys.
The idea is there to utilise soccer grounds which have less use during summer while the footy grounds are overrun with cricket. Also very good for expansion to other countries.
Still nothing will be better suited to an international market like www.footyindoors.com.au

Im not sure "playing on a soccer field with 7 people" is an idea that really counts as intellectual theft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This AFL development boss Lethlean sounds pretty dodgy if all that is true. Claims a $10k prize for pinching another guy's idea.

Is there anyone in the AFL organisation with any integrity at all?

The Integrity Unit. They're investigating as we speak. I'm tipping they'll announce no evidence, and that Gill's got a monstersize c*ck.

It doesn't take a genius to come up with the idea of seven-a-side football, but someone has to. And there's no doubt that old mate Mr X has the right to feel a bit put out by the AFL claiming his idea as their own.

Even though the Americans came up with it first. It's called Metro Footy.

Im not sure "playing on a soccer field with 7 people" is an idea that really counts as intellectual theft.

But if you're going to give a cash prize for the idea surely you give it to the guy who originally brought it to you, not to your employee who he presented it to.

I can see why the guy would feel a bit miffed.

Sounds alright to me. From what I read of it there would be no impact to the AFL comp, so not sure why there is so much angst.. or is whinging about stuff just the default Bigfooty position?

I feel like this further justifies my comments in the CEO thread.

Did Gilligan forget there's already a Australian Football-lite called AFL 9s? It's already got that precious AFL branding you love so much! And it actually has a foothold in the mixed gender sports-as-social-recreation market!

This new game has lasted one day.

The real scandal here is that the AFL are handing out 10 grand bonuses amongst themselves for coming up with 'ideas'. Particularly when its to the GM of innnovations and strategy, because coming up with ideas is his job.

Suspect that the AFL execs are living pretty high on the hog on other peoples money

Besides it's a Rugby League field....
Soccer fields have more stretchers and an ambulance ever 20 meters between each box of tissues.

Played 9s. Don't think 7s would make that big a difference surely...it's 4 extra people?

The 9s rules don't have to stay the exact same for this 'X' comp.

I just don't see why they can't take on the 9s concept which has a small grassroots following already without the TV rights hype etc, and build on it. Why do we need 2 variations of the game - one getting thousands of $$ thrown at it, the other enjoyed and supported already...

Back