AFL X - seven-a-side football - The X makes it sound cool.

Is a modified game of Aussie rules on a soccer pitch a good idea?

• Yes

• No

• I'd need more info on it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have played that, we used to do something similar and called it forcing back, probably the same name but maybe i misunderstood the pronunciation, if you kick the ball and someone on the other side caught it they would get and extra five steps before they had to kick it, basically the longest kicks win, but if sides were relatively equal the game could go on for hours.

If you did not mark the ball the ball was kicked from where it landed on the full, the trick was to kick long into open spaces so the oppostion did not mark it and therefore gain a 5 or 10 metre advantage, before they had to kick it.

Yeh, same game, probably all three names were used interchangeably.

Why do people keep comparing this to 9s? 9s is it's own distinct game aimed at the casual recreational crowd. It's like comparing Rugby 7s to touch football.

A lot of competitions internationally (Japan AFL, AFL Central/Northern England to name a couple) are already played on football/rugby pitches and they are 9-a-side, which works. Not sure why the AFL don't just run with developing that.

Very true, that's one of the biggest questions I have as well.

Could have something to do with owning the game as an AFL invention?

Very true, that's one of the biggest questions I have as well.

Could have something to do with owning the game as an AFL invention?

Theres also no standardised version of the game internationally. This may be a way to do that. Note as well AFL Europe run an international championship in the rectangular version as well as the 18 a side. Im surprised its taken the AFL this long.

9 a side good,
16 a side bad,
18 a side good

Never change figbooty, never change.
Actually 16 a side is quite good, the VFA played that way for years it's just not good for the AFL, mainly because the bastards at AFL house have already changed the game to where it is hardly recognisable and we don't need the boys club fiddling with it more than they already do.

I am not sure of the point, will only steal players and fans from the traditional game, robbing Peter to pay Sebastian.

Edit: And im not talking about AFL players, im talking grassroot footballers and fans!

Last edited:
I think some variation of this game or the 9's game is likely to be considered for Brisbane youth footy. They just can't keep teenage boys playing the game with several hundred dropping out each year. One big complaint from boys and families seems to be that with the emphasis on developing elite talent there's not much left over for kids who don't take the game as seriously and have less time to commit to training etc. With footy being such a minor game to start with in Brisbane it means that there often aren't that many teams or team mates left for these average players. I believe AFL Queensland is looking at a lot of different and maybe radical ideas to try and turn the tide of teenagers dropping the game and heavily modified games are a possibility.

Theres also no standardised version of the game internationally. This may be a way to do that. Note as well AFL Europe run an international championship in the rectangular version as well as the 18 a side. Im surprised its taken the AFL this long.

Standardisation of a cut-down version is a good idea, and I get that, but I'm wondering why 7 players is considered preferable to 9 players (unless it's merely to do with the area of a soccer pitch compared to the area of a standard oval).

As i suggested in another thread, smaller cities or big towns such as Canberra, Cairns, Newcastle, Albury, Bunbury etc can all probably run a AFL team in a National comp through AFL X or whatever it is called in the off season - less players at a smaller ground should equal less costs.

Sounds like a very interesting idea but one that has been floating around big footy in different formats for a number of years, instead of the AFL brainstorming, they should have just read big footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol I'll call this out for what it is: a shitty attempt to boot soccer off soccer pitches during summer.

Will get pantsed.
Legit I think Fitzpatrick & co. look at how Hitler took Europe over and think "hey, that's a good idea!".
Doesn't really make any sense to me. "AFL-variant played on field with soccer dimensions" doesn't mean Suburb City United F.C are going to be forced off their 'pitches' at gunpoint or something.

Doesn't really make any sense to me. "AFL-variant played on field with soccer dimensions" doesn't mean Suburb City United F.C are going to be forced off their 'pitches' at gunpoint or something.

Let's see how it plays out. The AFL are one of the dirtiest organisations going around in this regard.

I am not sure of the point, will only steal players and fans from the traditional game, robbing Peter to pay Sebastian.

Edit: And im not talking about AFL players, im talking grassroot footballers and fans!
The point is that soccer has been the biggest participation sport for decades because parents liked the limited contact for their young kids but participation dropped significantly at around 16 years of age, so it was never really an issue for afl but the stats since th A league has been formed and players from this comp get paid well as proffesionls but more importantly get traded to big European clubs has turned that stat on its head. In the last 5 years participation of soccer has outstripped afl at the same rateas juniors, which is around 3 to 1, that is a terrifying stat This new, non contact game is purely to get youngsters ( and parents) playing a fun, limited contact sport, and it's a brilliant idea.

The point is that soccer has been the biggest participation sport for decades because parents liked the limited contact for their young kids but participation dropped significantly at around 16 years of age, so it was never really an issue for afl but the stats since th A league has been formed and players from this comp get paid well as proffesionls but more importantly get traded to big European clubs has turned that stat on its head. In the last 5 years participation of soccer has outstripped afl at the same rateas juniors, which is around 3 to 1, that is a terrifying stat This new, non contact game is purely to get youngsters ( and parents) playing a fun, limited contact sport, and it's a brilliant idea.

Participation in Soccer has always outstripped the AFL overall, and the best players have always been traded to big euo clubs. And by roughly the same margins. Theres nothing "terrifying" about it. That figure hasnt changed much since the 2006 estimates were released.

]

Participation in Soccer has always outstripped the AFL overall, and the best players have always been traded to big euo clubs. And by roughly the same margins. Theres nothing "terrifying" about it. That figure hasnt changed much since the 2006 estimates were released.

]
Nope, the figures in participation of soccer have changed drastically, yes it's always outstripped afl and nrl but that figure dropped below those sports from15 year olds onwards so it was never an issue. But the stats show that the participation rates in soccer from the last 5 years have matched the junior figures which is 4 to 1 which is attributed with kids staying on becasue they see a career in the sport which has never been the case. As I said in my post the concept of AFL X 7 is a great idea to combat this trend.

Nope, the figures in participation of soccer have changed drastically, yes it's always outstripped afl and nrl but that figure dropped below those sports from15 year olds onwards so it was never an issue. But the stats show that the participation rates in soccer from the last 5 years have matched the junior figures which is 4 to 1 which is attributed with kids staying on becasue they see a career in the sport which has never been the case. As I said in my post the concept of AFL X 7 is a great idea to combat this trend.

which stats are we using here?

Nope, the figures in participation of soccer have changed drastically, yes it's always outstripped afl and nrl but that figure dropped below those sports from15 year olds onwards so it was never an issue. But the stats show that the participation rates in soccer from the last 5 years have matched the junior figures which is 4 to 1 which is attributed with kids staying on becasue they see a career in the sport which has never been the case.

I think you may find it has quite a lot to do with the influx of tourist and permanent residents this country has taken in over the last 16 years as to why the "stat" is now 4/1.

Back