Afl X WAS AWESOME

Remove this Banner Ad

The idea that longer goals are worth more is so dumb. The NBA makes longer shots worth more so that shorter players can score and to open up the paint. But in the AFL, shorter players are often just as capable of kicking a 40 meter or 50 meter goal, because goals aren't height based they're length based. Nor, from what I've seen, does it really open up congestion, as the 3-pointer is supposed to.

Instead of trying to tweak it, how about just get rid of it? It's not necessary as smaller players do already kick a lot of goals.

I couldn't watch it. The things I love about AFL were missing. Little pressure. breakaways that stopped right away because the ground is so small. Zooper goal attempt at any opportunity.

AFLW has poor skills but genuine pressure and having a go. Too much possibly. But AFLX has nothing, just run kick handball kick - repeat.

probably unlikely to have many injuries because of how it works only real positive to me.

Overhyped, americanised and nowhere near the game we know and love. Give me another JLT game instead next year.
Players can still get injured in this format but it's much less likely than the full contact of JLT. I'm happy to have just the two JLT games.

I disagree. AFLX is supposed to replace Aussie Rules as our 'foreigner friendly' export. The league is too money-grubbing to accept our game is great, but is something peculiar to this country. They are lucky to have fans that love the game so much that they'll sit through this watery crap even though it's essentially rectangular VFL with fairy lights.

But surely no one cares what the 'export' version looks like?

For the average Australian fan, AFLX is nothing more than a pre-season warmup with less chance of injury.

It's not my cup of tea, but I don't begrudge them doing it.

The idea that longer goals are worth more is so dumb. The NBA makes longer shots worth more so that shorter players can score and to open up the paint. But in the AFL, shorter players are often just as capable of kicking a 40 meter or 50 meter goal, because goals aren't height based they're length based. Nor, from what I've seen, does it really open up congestion, as the 3-pointer is supposed to.

Instead of trying to tweak it, how about just get rid of it? It's not necessary as smaller players do already kick a lot of goals.
Nothing related to aflx is necessary

With a Zooper Dooper gun.

rainbow_gun__by_k1l3.jpg

A rainbow coloured ethnic cleansing.

Went in with low expectations and it still disappointed. Basically the AFL throwing all their worst pre-season rules (super goals, last touch out of bounds) into a bruise-free game where scoring was devalued. A colossal failure as a spectacle, one of those very rare occasions where there was not a single positive to take from it. :thumbsdown:

I imagine though it was probably reasonably fun to play and that social sport niche could certainly be found with it (especially where the average skill errors and lesser fitness would actually improve the contest), but that said, there was nothing here that you can't already get in AFL 9s.

Overall, it's a game for players, not spectators. The whole event with AFL-listed players was just an expensive marketing gimmick that probably did more to hurt the AFL brand and reduced numbers format than it did to promote them.

I have tickets for tonight, but won't be going after watching it on TV last night.
Glorified training drill, they'd be better off televising intra-club matches.

AFL is a boring and outdated version of AFL X.

I'd like to see some of the exciting new initiatives moved into the traditional format- Zooper goals, shorter game length.

With only 7 on the field, Tasmania could finally have a team.

People calling it "bruise free" are idiots. Why do you want to see players injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The zooper goal spoils the game, how is kicking a goal from 40m a highlight?

The beauty of our game is the contest... whether it be in the air, at ground level... so create rules to encourage these things.

I think it would be a much better game with the zooper goal reversed and extra points given for a goal inside 30m. This would encourage players to hold their position closer to goal, more kicks to a contest and more opportunities for a high mark or a crumbing goal or even a shot from an angle. With players holding their position more I think 9 players would also be better for each team.

I like the idea from the AFL, but in its current format it does not deliver!!
Because zooper dooper lobbied the AFL to make it 40 so they could hear their brand more often.

this is undeniably sh*thouse.

a Zooper goal. says it all really.

puzzling the AFL leadership have such a lack of faith in the quality of their core product despite 120 years of resounding success; a sport that has sustainably integrated into the national life delivering truly outstanding customer and employee satisfaction.

it speaks of an empty vacuous leadership culture in place now. the old school tie and wacky miss-the-mark innovations reign, damaging the brand.

without the integrity and intrinsic value of the core product it would trail off into nothingness, cricket style.

it will take a lot, but maybe with this mediocre crew in charge, debasing all that we value in the great game, that's in the realm of the possible.

the hard heads should act quickly on the inevitable coup, before the tipping point is reached.

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity"

This is like canapés for the men’s season, the JLT series is the entree, the premiership season is the main meal, and the finals series is the dessert. What a delicious idea.

AFL is pretty much the best thing in the entire Universe, and when I think it can’t get any better... it does!

#IheartAFL
#IheartAFLinallforms

I'd suggest AFLX will probably be the dominant pre-season competition within the next 5 years.

Similar to T20 cricket, its fast paced, lots of scoring and family friendly.

They'll keep tweaking it until it finds an audience, our culture these days like the fast paced games with constant scoring and a result

Load of s**t. Go home it’s over. Just taking the piss out of our game. FFS stop calling it a grand final FFS.plebs. It ain’t nothing of the sort.

It would stand a better chance than the main game. But still won't appeal to many at present. They will need to tweak it before it finds an audience.

Why would it when the main game is better

Aflx is going nowhere

This is good as a bit of kick and giggle but it's nothing that should be taken seriously. Players and fans aren't taking this seriously which is how it should be but i hope the media don't take this too seriously. This coin toss before the Hawthorn vs Melbourne 'grand final' was hopefully a one off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back