AFL X

Matt_TY

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2003
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Has AFL X been abolished or still on the cards to be played in 2019?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Depends. Last it was heard of the AFL was asking clubs to "think differently" about AFLX, in other words, begging them to take this trash at all seriously. Here's hoping the clubs rebuffed that request and this 7-a-side nonsense is consigned to history.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Depends. Last it was heard of the AFL was asking clubs to "think differently" about AFLX, in other words, begging them to take this trash at all seriously.

I'd like to think that it was the Bulldogs not even putting in the bare minimum that caused this.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
AFL X next year..

Rugby 7's tournaments are generally played out across 203 days though.

AFL X is s**t but the AFL will stick with it sadly.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure if I understand what they are proposing.

Will these four 'franchises' have totally original team names, colours and jumper designs?

Won't the clubs of the players picked by the appointed captains have to all agree to release them?

And if they are trying to get more high profile players to play won't the clubs be reluctant to release them?

Lots of unanswered questions.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I suspect it is highly likely to be on in February in some form or other.

I'm hoping it ends up as 9-a-side, similar rules to the main game in a state or origin tournament played about this time each year

The 7-aside as preseason set up I suspect wont work because - incomplete opposite to how Gil was promoting it - I think it loses much of the best bits of the game

But anyway, I suspect the most likely is a repeat of last year some time in the middle of February

People are foolish if they think the AFL is going to just give up developing a small field version of the game

I'm hoping it ends up as 9-a-side, similar rules to the main game in a state or origin tournament played about this time each year

The 7-aside as preseason set up I suspect wont work because - incomplete opposite to how Gil was promoting it - I think it loses much of the best bits of the game

But anyway, I suspect the most likely is a repeat of last year some time in the middle of February

People are foolish if they think the AFL is going to just give up developing a small field version of the game

I'm still holding out hope someone will Adriana it

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

They wont give up after one year, but they will need to adjust it, and just because they try and push it doesnt mean it will succeed in any way shape or form.

Time will tell but the existing version isnt going to take off.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
They wont give up after one year, but they will need to adjust it, and just because they try and push it doesnt mean it will succeed in any way shape or form.

but what do we mean by "take off"? I doubt they are going to set a high bar for what they consider to be a success or not

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
but what do we mean by "take off"? I doubt they are going to set a high bar for what they consider to be a success or not

Exactly. The ridiculous people trying to death ride it might like to imagine bars but in reality the AFL will keep working to establish a rectangular pitch version of the game regardless as the cost is small and the potential payoffs in the longer term (whether they be in participation of commercial, domestic or international) are substantial

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Don't know what you mean by "take off" but I agree (IMHO) the existing version they launched this year is off the mark somewhat.

I would basically have a 9-a-side competition with pretty much the same rules as the 18-a-side version but perhaps
-only allowing set shots from marks taken inside 25 metres
-(maybe) retain a last touch rule
-(maybe) retain the 9 point goal outside 40 metres if it helps keep shape in the game (i.e. stops teams pushing all their numbers back)

Beyond that I would pretty much have the same rules as the main game. There was way too much space last year and players in miles of space kicking "zoopers" from 40 metres out was silly.

I think Garry & Tim on SEN mentioned they may do AFLX with recently retired players as clubs were just using young kids and no-names and thus no-one was interest (or no-one was interested because it is a s**t-house concept)

And that then is the end of it, because without the guns, wtf are we watching this for?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd personally prefer just see an under 21's State of Origin.

Thing is, you are not going to get anything other then club based in February, a month out from a new season. Clubs aren't going to give up their under 21's for a game let-a-lone any period of time that would be required to train them together to a system

The best bet for any thing that involves existing players is to play it in October / November. I like the idea of a "small field" (I reckon 9 a-side is optimal) state of origin tournament or set of tournaments. You would only need squads of, say, 15 so even with 8 teams you only need to pay 120 players

Back