AFLQ Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palmy Sandgate great match was nearly ruined by the worst umpiring i have seen. Looks like they were trying to set a new free kick award! No team benefited from the umpire's but they took the flow out of the game with disgusting decisions. Palmy had there chances again much the same as the maggies game all over them then got ran over in last quarter. Super game none the less. Sets up for a ripper next week palmy v noosa. Dont think there were any injury concerns other than Nuss with a head clash and palmy ruckman looked very ginger by last quarter. No injuries up there Noosaboy?

I`d imagine the magpies are well and truly the real deal if their Senior list is fully available.Yeah good effort by Springwood but i did read somewhere that the magpies had over 50 inside 50s for only 16 majors.Not sure if its mental strength,maybe more like poor use and decision making in that area.They will be there at the finish.
Great defensive work :thumbsu: :cool:

Palmy Sandgate great match was nearly ruined by the worst umpiring i have seen. Looks like they were trying to set a new free kick award! No team benefited from the umpire's but they took the flow out of the game with disgusting decisions. Palmy had there chances again much the same as the maggies game all over them then got ran over in last quarter. Super game none the less. Sets up for a ripper next week palmy v noosa. Dont think there were any injury concerns other than Nuss with a head clash and palmy ruckman looked very ginger by last quarter. No injuries up there Noosaboy?
I think the top 2 sandgate v grange would be game of the week

No all good up here Kwhit.Trompf got through no worries and theres a fair bit of selection pressure coming from the twos.players like Duke,Smith,Wallace and Durdin all going ok in the seconds and pushing for spots.Big challenge this week at Palmy!

PETER IVES PASSES AWAY
Peter Ives, one of Queensland football’s great servants, has died aged 54.

Monday 13 June 2011

Ives, the 1978 Grogan Medalist and a member of the Queensland Football Hall of Fame, died on Sunday (12 June) following complications with heart surgery.

The ever-competitive left-footed rover had suffered a heart attack on Friday and was admitted for a quadruple bypass but failed to come through the surgery.

Originally from Toowoomba, Ives made his name with the Mayne Tigers, twice winning the Clem Ryan Medal for the best & fairest player in the QAFL U19 competition before playing more than 100 senior games with the Tigers from 1975-80.

He was the first Mayne player to win the Grogan Medal, named after long-time Mayne official J.A. “Joe’ Grogan, and was named in the Mayne Tigers Team of the Century.

A one-time Geelong VFL triallist and a member of the final 100 players nominated for the Queensland Team of the Century, he was a fixture in the Queensland team through late 1970s, playing 12 times for his State.

In 1983 he filled the one missing gap in his stellar career when, having moved to the Gold Coast to play with Southport, was a member of the Sharks’ premiership side in their first season in the QAFL in 1983.

A plumber by trade and a long-time merchant seaman, Ives was described by former teammate and long-time Queensland football official Shane Johnson as “a fearless and wonderful competitor” and “a gut runner before gut-running became fashionable”.

“He was absolutely fearless. He’d through himself head-first into every contest and was the sort of guy you’d love to go to war with. He was a team player through and through,” said Johnson.

“He wasn’t especially quick but he never stopped running – that’s how he got to so many contests and how we he was so effective. And although he didn’t kick the ball too sweetly at times he was a very penetrating kick.”

Ives, long-time divorced, leaves two children – son James, captain of the Queensland U16 side last year. and daughter Lauren.

This was very sad to read knew Peter back in his playing days for Mayne Great player and bloke. RIP Peter thoughts and condolences to his family.

PETER IVES PASSES AWAY

Monday 13 June 2011

Ives, the 1978 Grogan Medalist and a member of the Queensland Football Hall of Fame, died on Sunday (12 June) following complications with heart surgery.

The ever-competitive left-footed rover had suffered a heart attack on Friday and was admitted for a quadruple bypass but failed to come through the surgery.

Originally from Toowoomba, Ives made his name with the Mayne Tigers, twice winning the Clem Ryan Medal for the best & fairest player in the QAFL U19 competition before playing more than 100 senior games with the Tigers from 1975-80.

He was the first Mayne player to win the Grogan Medal, named after long-time Mayne official J.A. “Joe’ Grogan, and was named in the Mayne Tigers Team of the Century.

A one-time Geelong VFL triallist and a member of the final 100 players nominated for the Queensland Team of the Century, he was a fixture in the Queensland team through late 1970s, playing 12 times for his State.

In 1983 he filled the one missing gap in his stellar career when, having moved to the Gold Coast to play with Southport, was a member of the Sharks’ premiership side in their first season in the QAFL in 1983.

A plumber by trade and a long-time merchant seaman, Ives was described by former teammate and long-time Queensland football official Shane Johnson as “a fearless and wonderful competitor” and “a gut runner before gut-running became fashionable”.

“He was absolutely fearless. He’d through himself head-first into every contest and was the sort of guy you’d love to go to war with. He was a team player through and through,” said Johnson.

“He wasn’t especially quick but he never stopped running – that’s how he got to so many contests and how we he was so effective. And although he didn’t kick the ball too sweetly at times he was a very penetrating kick.”

Ives, long-time divorced, leaves two children – son James, captain of the Queensland U16 side last year. and daughter Lauren.

This was very sad to read knew Peter back in his playing days for Mayne Great player and bloke. RIP Peter thoughts and condolences to his family.
Tiger G my thoughts with family and close friends, I did play against him and admired his commitment. A real sad loss.

Tiger G my thoughts with family and close friends, I did play against him and admired his commitment. A real sad loss.
Thanks Dino, can i ask who you played for? They were great days in local footy. So young. tragic loss, it goes past his playing days, he sponsered mayne.coached juniors,Mayne's team of the century, top 100 Qld's team of the century, sad news.

And disappointing that he will miss his young fellas footy career which i reckon is a highlight for most Dads that have played the game, no matter what level their boy gets to and James can play a bit!!

That Frewster is a bloody good kick NB - beautiful technique and damn straight.
yeah fantastic technique SMY.Has kicked afew behinds earlier on in year but must have been on song last weekend.Played a fair bit of footy down back in Victoria.Has a great work ethic and really good team player.Just walked in to the club too,no fuss,no big contracts,no big head which is what every club wants.

yeah fantastic technique SMY.Has kicked afew behinds earlier on in year but must have been on song last weekend.Played a fair bit of footy down back in Victoria.Has a great work ethic and really good team player.Just walked in to the club too,no fuss,no big contracts,no big head which is what every club wants.

great bloke from what i have heard (a bloke from the roos has met him a couple of times and said he comes accross like a top bloke). same bloke also said how he met him.... club usually doesn't have to pay players when committee members employ them fulltime, which is win win.

I am sure Noosa isn't the first, and won't be the last with a superstar playing for next to nothing thanks to fulltime job from a club supporter.

Much better way of recruiting players IMO (assuming they are good workers!! LOL) and generally seen as more valuable to the player as well. Problem on the coast has been the lack of work unfortunately.

Tipping results

Switchnplay 36
Magpie Boy 36
Speedyunit 35
Warner/parts 34
Tiger G 34
2010Premier 33
Demonettes 26
Cheekydino 11

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 10 Tips

Burleigh v Mayne
W/Magpies v Maroochy
Sandgate v W/Grange
PBC v Noosa
Surfers v Springwood

Thanks Dino, can i ask who you played for? They were great days in local footy. So young. tragic loss, it goes past his playing days, he sponsered mayne.coached juniors,Mayne's team of the century, top 100 Qld's team of the century, sad news.
Tiger played I with coorparoo and yes a great era it was then

Tiger played I with coorparoo and yes a great era it was then
Coorparoo Roos, great club Mayne and Coorparoo had a great rivalry in the 60's and beyond. My son played for Coorparoo juniors down at Giffin Park 2003-2006 great bunch of people It brought back memories of watching some great games between Mayne and Coorparoo at Giffin park.
Ironically my very 1st game for Mayne Juniors 35 years ago was against Coorparoo, excuse my rant guys.:thumbsu:

Round 10 Tips

Burleigh v Mayne
W/Magpies v Maroochy
Sandgate v W/Grange
PBC v Noosa
Surfers v Springwood

Burleigh - 15pts
Maggies - 109pts
Sandgate - 9pts
Noosa - 5pts
Surfers - 42pts

i would love to see Mayne win though in memory of Peter Ives

The Burleigh v Mayne game will be intersting, apparently the NEAFL don't play this weekend. Mayne have got on permit for this game Cleve Hughes from Southport (ex Richmond player) and Luke Ferguson and a couple of other players from Morningside for this game.
Hope they help the Tiges get a win, they deserve it ,coming so close so many times. Fingers crossed

Coorparoo Roos, great club Mayne and Coorparoo had a great rivalry in the 60's and beyond. My son played for Coorparoo juniors down at Giffin Park 2003-2006 great bunch of people It brought back memories of watching some great games between Mayne and Coorparoo at Giffin park.
Ironically my very 1st game for Mayne Juniors 35 years ago was against Coorparoo, excuse my rant guys.:thumbsu:
Hey tiger great to read your story and to see the juniors of coorparoo still active although the coorparoo kings trying to keep the roos alive. I can only hope the roos come back as a team of the old era (doubt that) but only morningside the surviving member in the top league, congrats to them. I would love to continue this conversation and chat about the old days, players, etc. I am open to further converation.
cheers mate

The Burleigh v Mayne game will be intersting, apparently the NEAFL don't play this weekend. Mayne have got on permit for this game Cleve Hughes from Southport (ex Richmond player) and Luke Ferguson and a couple of other players from Morningside for this game.
Hope they help the Tiges get a win, they deserve it ,coming so close so many times. Fingers crossed
Tiger if Mayne are going to break through it must be this week, but the current playing list would not know who Peter Ives was? Hopefully it has filtered through to the boys. Go Tiges!!

Tiger if Mayne are going to break through it must be this week, but the current playing list would not know who Peter Ives was? Hopefully it has filtered through to the boys. Go Tiges!!
it would be filtered through the club, but some of the players knows Ivesy through his involvement in sponsering the club and coaching teams in the juniors. Thanks Dino for your great thoughts!:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back