AFL's 300m Stadium Dream

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of the Vics in this thread seem to be saying Etihad is fine. It was several WCE supporters who were laying into it.

Send those who moan about etihad to sit on the wooden benches and watch the game at subiaco and see what happens to the moaning.

Why should we compare a stadium to the worst of stadiums that is about to be shut down? The whole point of those quotes used in the article was to say Etihad was falling behind stadia in Adelaide, Perth, and eventually Sydney - if you want to provide the best experience, the comparison needs to be with the best stadia.

Most of the Vics in this thread seem to be saying Etihad is fine. It was several WCE supporters who were laying into it.

Explain to me how the team someone supports could possibly be relevant to this debate? I was an Eagles supporter who said I (personally) hated it the day it opened - and I live in Victoria.

Which I would've thought makes your point moot.

Why can't we have a discussion about Etihad without it being flooded by whinging from the west about Subiaco?

Subiaco is a shithole because of one single reason, the WA govt's inability for decades on end to improve or replace it.

It has nothing to do with Etihad.

If you read his proposal, it's not even really about the stadium - it's about the surrounding precinct which is an unmitigated planning disaster. Ask anybody who has a business on the Docklands. The place is like a cemetery.

Vics are desperate as they know the new Stadium in Perth will be the best in the country.

Not really. Since Etihad was opened the MCG has been rebuilt, the SCG majorly renovated and Adelaide Oval rebuilt. All three are superior stadiums to Etihad, as you'd expect with newer buildings. The Perth Stadium will be the same, I don't think anybody really cares.

I have no issues with it. The g is pretty awesome but i feel like unless it's 70% full the atmosphere lacks a bit behind that of etihad's; even when etihad is at 50%.

Why can't we have a discussion about Etihad without it being flooded by whinging from the west about Subiaco?

Subiaco is a shithole because of one single reason, the WA govt's inability for decades on end to improve or replace it.

It has nothing to do with Etihad.

If you read his proposal, it's not even really about the stadium - it's about the surrounding precinct which is an unmitigated planning disaster. Ask anybody who has a business on the Docklands. The place is like a cemetery.
Aren't they getting a new stadium anyway now?

Etihad is sterile and has no atmosphere.
Use the MCG and play lower drawing games at Princes Park again.
Disagree completely. A Crows v a low drawing Melbourne club at the G has no atmosphere, Yet 25k at Etihad has plenty.

I have no problem what so ever with Etihad, I really can not understand the hate for the place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explain to me how the team someone supports could possibly be relevant to this debate? I was an Eagles supporter who said I (personally) hated it the day it opened - and I live in Victoria.

I would say there is a pretty high correlation between club supported and how often the person has/will have been at the ground, making it a very relevant point. That there are some exceptions (such as yourself) doesn't change that.

I havent watched a game at adelaide oval yet but of the bigger stadiums etihad has been far and away the best for me. Good seats, great visibility, great facilities. I quoted how shite subi is because i find it unfathomable that people think there is anything wrong with etihad.

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurba...guires-victoria-stadium-what-melbourne-needs/

This sums up some of the main points about why Eddie's plan is so stupid.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, however, how much cheaper and more practical does the AFL's plan for Etihad look when compared to Eddie's. It's like they have created this demand and the government has to pick an option out of the two. If the AFL just said we want 300 mil to upgrade the facade of Etihad, without it being compared to the logistical and monetary headache of undergrounding km's train lines, a train station, demolishing 2 stadiums and building 2 more.

The AFL's plan seems practically free now.

Vics are desperate as they know the new Stadium in Perth will be the best in the country.
Fear not, plans are afoot to improve the MCG, still the ONLY 100,000 stadium in Australia and the home of football. I can't wait to see a game at the new Perth stadium, but....

I actually dont mind etihad. Its great for interstaters travelling to watch their team play. Stay in an apartment in docklands, walk over to an indoor stadium with seats in first tier the best as you feel like youre on top of the ground and close to the action. The worst seats are at ground level as the lights make it hard to see anything further than 50m in front of you.

Just as a quick point of reference...

The Serie A...a league with a revenue of €1,792,000,000...plays at some of the biggest shitholes you have ever seen (and I have)...they are disgraceful.

For The Lucky Country we sure do piss and moan a bit...

Italy in general is a bit of a shithole, really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back