AFLs love affair with Gambling. Is the game compromised?

Remove this Banner Ad

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Anyone who watched the GC v Dogs game last night witness an umpiring performance so biased towards the Dogs, that questions need to be asked.

The disturbing thing is that commentators dont comment on bad decisions anymore…

There seems to be preferred results in alot of games where one side seems to get the better of the umpiring.

And you can’t comment about it or you’ll get fined!!!

Last month the AFL admitted getting a cut from the profits from gambling!!!!
So the more the sportsbet companies win the more the AFL WIN!!!

The game has been compromised and there are preferred results the AFL wants, to boost profits…..

Anyone who watched the GC v Dogs game last night witness an umpiring performance so biased towards the Dogs, that questions need to be asked.

The disturbing thing is that commentators dont comment on bad decisions anymore…

There seems to be preferred results in alot of games where one side seems to get the better of the umpiring.

And you can’t comment about it or you’ll get fined!!!

Last month the AFL admitted getting a cut from the profits from gambling!!!!
So the more the sportsbet companies win the more the AFL WIN!!!

The game has been compromised and there are preferred results the AFL wants, to boost profits…..

Try again. Turnover doesn't mean profit.

They get a % of winnings

That video is unavailable mate.

They get a % of turnover according to the article in the OP. Which would be much better for them then a % of winnings.

That video is unavailable mate.

They get a % of turnover according to the article in the OP. Which would be much better for them then a % of winnings.

I’m not sure why the video won’t load….

He specifically says there are 2 parts. they get a % of profits … and also a % of turn over.

Are certain results on the day that much more profitable for the bookies? Like when the club with the larger supporter base gets up?
If they are doing their job, the favourite winning is always good for bookies.
Winning margins e.g. 40 points or more would be big deal.
A few free kicks to bring the margin back would be a real temptation.

That 50 metre penalty with about 5 minutes to play that allowed Bailey Williams to kick a goal was a horrendous call against the Suns. And the Weightman flop a minute or so later which got the Dogs another goal wasn't any better.

Just a couple of poor decisions that happened to favour one team at a crucial time - not necessarily part of a fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So every result, nine per week, are pre-arranged between the umps, the bookies and the AFL?

Or is it just some of them?

What happens when the umpires, despite their best intentions to get the right team the win, can't do it? Will last night's umpires still get paid, or will they sleep with the fishes the next week, and the AFL get new ones who can do the job?

Do the AFL then lose their pre-arranged cut from last nights failure?

Hmmmm, so many questions....

The gambling ads and integration into actual AFL coverage is nauseating and a cancer on the game.

Last nights umpiring late in the game was borderline cheating and bringing the game into disrepute, an absolute shambolic display and the field umpire should be dropped immediately.

Not sure if the two are linked however, might be a long bow

I think it's highly unlikely that there's any conspiracy between the AFL / umps / bookies / sponsors to fix matches and increase profits. I think it would just be too difficult to keep everyone involved quiet about it. Surely a whistle-blower (pun unintended) would have leaked something by now.

There are certainly some matches that look "fixed" when multiple umpiring errors occur late in a close game and all benefit one team only. It could just be a coincidence. It could be individual umpire's bias, conscious or sub conscious. There could even be individual umpires on the take, but I doubt there's a broader conspiracy.

This season seems to be particularly frustrating for many fans, perhaps having 4 umps has made things worse instead of better as many have suggested.

So every result, nine per week, are pre-arranged between the umps, the bookies and the AFL?

Or is it just some of them?

What happens when the umpires, despite their best intentions to get the right team the win, can't do it? Will last night's umpires still get paid, or will they sleep with the fishes the next week, and the AFL get new ones who can do the job?

Do the AFL then lose their pre-arranged cut from last nights failure?

Hmmmm, so many questions....

They are getting a cut from the profit!!!

So there are results that are more favourable to the AFL!!!! I believe that is wrong and should be stopped.

Let’s stay someone has put $1,000,000 on the Suns to make the 8 into a few other combinations… bringing the odds out to $20…
The computer evaluates the results and it’s in the interest of sportsbets that the Suns don’t make the 8….
Those figures are then forwarded to the AFL…..
And now it’s a business interest that the result can be justified by the AFL insuring that it increase its profits!!!

Surely people can see a conflict here?

Wether or not it’s acted on or not?

Cerra against Sydney was short odds to get 25 possessions and would have been on 60-70% of same game Multis etc….
With Carlton struggling with only 1 fit player on the bench, Cerra, who is having an influential game, starts on the bench and spends the first 8 minutes stuck there!!!! He finished with 24 possessions. Seems strange to me… a fit and firing midfielder, in a close game, spending a 3rd of the qtr on the bench.
This could well been preplanned but it doesn’t seem right!!!
Now knowing that the afl benefits more from certain results .. accumulative over the round… are they influencing certain results?

I’m asking wether it’s ethical that the governing body, that controls the game, should be benefiting from certain results?

When the level of incompetence is unbelievable, it probably is.

Last nights game was unbelievable.
But now we know the AFL can benefit from certain result… so the integrity of the game and every decision will be questioned.
It’s a cancer and needs to be investigated properly IMO.

They are getting a cut from the profit!!!

So there are results that are more favourable to the AFL!!!! I believe that is wrong and should be stopped.
I believe it was already mentioned that they get a cut of turnover, not profit.

So not dependent on results.

He clearly says in the video they get a cut of both!!!
In that case, they need to change the arrangement, to allay charges of vested interests leading to conflict of interest.

But, no, not for one moment do I believe that the AFL has any preferred winner, or that any umpire has gone out with a preferred winner in mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back