AFLs love affair with Gambling. Is the game compromised?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bias against certain teams absolutley happens but it is often completley unconcious and officials don't even notice it's happening. A study was done a few years ago going back through archival penalty data for the NHL to see if jersey color mattered in sports. These researcher's found that referees were more likley to call a penalty on a team wearing black jerseys. The example they presented was the 1979-80 Pittsburgh Penguins who changed their jerseys from sky blue to black mid-season. Before the switch, they averaged 4 penalties per game. After the switch, they averaged 6.
Similar research was done using English soccer leagues, where the lighter the colours trended more frees for and visa versa. For this reason I'm always happy when Richmond has to wear their yellow guernsey rather than their black. But hard to measure if there's anything in it because they wear yellow for away games which would mitigate.

I have one - it is that umpires are human and can have bad nights for any number of reasons, not all of them involving sinister underworld figures, could be as simple as a lack of sleep due to a young child that leads to judgement impairment.
Yep.

If they do favour a team, look for simple psychology.

Confirmation bias for the better team, or influence of the group (crowd).

It's not like cricket, with the spot bets, where you can tell a bowler to bowl a no-ball on the 3rd ball of his 3rd over, for example...

Anyone who watched the GC v Dogs game last night witness an umpiring performance so biased towards the Dogs, that questions need to be asked.

The disturbing thing is that commentators dont comment on bad decisions anymore…

There seems to be preferred results in alot of games where one side seems to get the better of the umpiring.

And you can’t comment about it or you’ll get fined!!!

Last month the AFL admitted getting a cut from the profits from gambling!!!!
So the more the sportsbet companies win the more the AFL WIN!!!

The game has been compromised and there are preferred results the AFL wants, to boost profits…..

I hate sports gambling & the avalanche of ads that appear in the games, the preview & review programs etc.

It's a disgrace & certainly opens the door for serious consideration of match-fixing etc.

One of these days i'm going to put a brick through the TV if Nathan Brown keeps doing these sportsbets ads.

What a ******* twerp he is.

"Joe Bloggs is paying $2 to get over 30."

Who gives a ******* s**t. * off

AFL has ramped up the dial in gambling ads so fast it's now dependent on them

If the government turn off the tap, which they should, the AFL will need to re write their financial models

It's kind of a disagree this was allowed to happen and it's obvious to me that the gambling interests put McLachlan and Demetrius in their positions because they knew they would support them.

My understanding is that gambling interests wanted to go with Dillon and were dead against Brendan Gale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth bringing up that the primary reason that the NRL are playing games in LasVegas is to try to attract newly legalised and expanded sports betting markets in some American states so they can get a gambling deal set up with a US betting company for the NRL to take a cut of the revenue on NRL games.

It really is an unashamed venture based on the hope of more gambling revenue.

The question for the AFL is if they are even somewhat successful in expanding revenue, will the AFL be tempted to follow suit?

Just gamble with Ladbrokes. You will soon never do it again.

When you win they won't pay you out, block your account, steal your deposit

and you will never gamble again.

Worth bringing up that the primary reason that the NRL are playing games in LasVegas is to try to attract newly legalised and expanded sports betting markets in some American states so they can get a gambling deal set up with a US betting company for the NRL to take a cut of the revenue on NRL games.

It really is an unashamed venture based on the hope of more gambling revenue.

The question for the AFL is if they are even somewhat successful in expanding revenue, will the AFL be tempted to follow suit?
It's quite genius from the NRL really.

The whole Vegas thing is pretty much 100% about tapping into the US' sports betting market. And as Vlandys said, bookies over there are looking for things to bet on outside of their timezone.

If the NRL can get a gambling deal, it will likely also involve a broadcast deal also.

Potentially an enormous win for the NRL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back