Toast AFL's Rambos

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
We hear a lot about the mummas' boys of the AFL.

The "go home factor" and the "flight risks". The JHFs and the Archie Perkins. The "Qld one day and home the next" Josh Shaches. And of course Ollie "Bellarine Dream" Henry

But what about the blokes who never go home. The road warriors. The true pros. The Rambos. The blokes you put on a plane and send anywhere and they still get the mission accomplished without mercy or complaint.

I'm thinking blokes like Lachie Neale and James Aish.

Who else fits into the category?

Last edited:
Brodie Grundy

Travis Boak.

Cats came hard for him when we were at our worst. Would have been very easy for him to leave but he stuck with and is now our games record holder.

Cale Hooker. We tried to trade him multiple times, incl back to his hometown of Perth. Once he even switched his phone off and hid at a random friends house until after the trade deadline so he couldn’t be reached to agree to a trade.

After the drug saga he was one of the first to sign on because he wanted to return and help rebuild. By this stage he was an All Aust key back who had no shortage of offers.

Why somebody would be so keen to stay at ******* Essendon I don’t know, possibly some kind of Stockholm Syndrome, but he loved the joint and the club didn’t deserve him. Love.

Brent Reilly. Melbourne boy who left for Adelaide just after his 18th birthday. He was given the role of being the mentor for many Crows recruits. He's now a stalwart in South Australian footy and many local NFPs.

Cale Hooker. We tried to trade him multiple times, incl back to his hometown of Perth. Once he even switched his phone off and hid at a random friends house until after the trade deadline so he couldn’t be reached to agree to a trade.

After the drug saga he was one of the first to sign on because he wanted to return and help rebuild. By this stage he was an All Aust key back who had no shortage of offers.

Why somebody would be so keen to stay at ******* Essendon I don’t know, possibly some kind of Stockholm Syndrome, but he loved the joint and the club didn’t deserve him. Love.

Not sure it was The Hangar that was the pull that kept Cale in Melbourne.

Hookesy and his great chum Bellcho were the Kings of Chapel St for a time. Driving up the Strip in the topless mini moke on a sunny arvo musta been some sorta lure. The duo did well.

And in their time off, they headed down to Tulla to fill out the week.

765e97281ae95197c73f3ceefe5f4fe3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dustin Martin rejected the biggest offer ever made to an AFL footballer to this day in 2017 to play out of Elizabeth Arden St, which is much closer to his home town of Castlemaine than is The Swinburne Centre.

You gotta be made of some serious stuff to do that. :)

Luke Shuey
Andrew Gaff
Shannon Hurn
Beau Waters
Liam Duggan
Tom Cole
David Hynes

just off the top of my head.

We hear a lot about the mummas' boys of the AFL.

The "go home factor" and the "flight risks". The JHFs and the Archie Perkins. The "Qld one day and home the next" Josh Shaches.

But what about the blokes who never go home. The road warriors. The true pros. The Rambos. The blokes you put on a plane and send anywhere and they still get the mission accomplished.

I'm thinking blokes like Lachie Neale and James Aish.

Who else fits into the category?
Lachie Neale & James Aish?

I don't think Rambo would leave his team and go to another one, even if the new team isn't in his home state.

Kurt Tippett had the opportunity to go home to the Gold Coast but was brave and chose to try and grow the game in Sydney instead

Last edited:

Love this nomination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back