AFLW - #12 Isabel Huntington

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for Izzy to debut for GWS, after a long injury delay:

Izzy Huntington will make her return from an ACL injury on Saturday after moving clubs and cities, and rediscovering her love for the game in the process.

There is something Izzy Huntington has forgotten.

"I can't remember my pre-match routine," she tells AFL.com.au. "I should have written it down. Actually, I don't know whether it worked anyway."

She'll need to remember it pretty quickly, though. Because, after 616 long and gruelling days filled with emotions ranging from doubt, to excitement, to acceptance, and just about everything in between, Huntington will be back playing in the AFLW this weekend. "It's pretty weird, the thought of playing again," Huntington says. "It feels so foreign to you after being out for so long, it's almost like you're starting your career from scratch. You don't know whether you'll be able to perform as you did before. It just feels weird, you forget so much."

The GIANTS told Huntington she would be making her long-awaited comeback during an impromptu team meeting held on Wednesday afternoon, her reward for more than 20 months' worth of operations, rehabilitation, and conversations around whether she would even return at all. "There are so many times when you think, do I just give up? Is it actually going to work out? Is it worth it? You get used to the idea of questioning your career at a really young age," Huntington says. But when the realisation hit for Huntington that she would finally make her comeback – and that she would be doing so in front of family and friends travelling up to Blacktown this Saturday when the GIANTS host Richmond – the answer was yes. Yes, it was all worth it.

more in the story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back