Women's Footy AFLW- 1st Inductee to HOF

How long before the 1st Female Inductee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely a player would have to hit a few milestones and retire before being considered. Maybe 150 games? 200? Do we set the standard lower because they are women?
Most of the current players have pre AFL careers just like Cornes or Cable did. The bar doesn't need to be lowered.

It has to be Daisy over Phillips. Daisy has been involved in the grassroots emergence of the women's game, and has been flying the flag for a decade. Phillips is a great player, but 11 performances does not a HOF favouritism equal

It has to be Daisy over Phillips. Daisy has been involved in the grassroots emergence of the women's game, and has been flying the flag for a decade. Phillips is a great player, but 11 performances does not a HOF favouritism equal
I think Phillips will be first simply because I think Daisy will be playing for 2-3 years longer simply due to age.

Men must be retired at least 5 years before they are eligible. This rule must apply for women too. Therefore it will be at least 10 years before the AFLW pioneers are eligible.

I think Phillips will be first simply because I think Daisy will be playing for 2-3 years longer simply due to age.
Depends on how much longer she plays. Phillips is 32 and has played one season of football. Unless she strings together a few more seasons at the same standard it would be an insult to those women that have been playing since their junior days for her to get into the HOF off the back of 11 good games. How much better was she than Daisy this year, really? It's like the difference between Dangerfield and Dusty last year. Let's pretend Dangerfield also won a Norm Smith and a flag, but it's also his first season in the comp compared to Dusty who's been playing for 10 years at the same standard.

Men must be retired at least 5 years before they are eligible. This rule must apply for women too. Therefore it will be at least 10 years before the AFLW pioneers are eligible.
I think that's where say Lee and Alberti come in. Debbie Lee theoretically won't retire for 15-20 years from the admin side as the Dees' female football operations manager. But her role in the setup of the league is essential - it was her pressure and discussions with Cameron Schwab that got the exhibition series with the Bulldogs off the ground, and she was pivotal in the assembly of the league before going into her current role. Alberti was similar from the Dogs' perspective.

Both would be worthy first entrants from the AFLW, and that's not something that will need ten years to come to fruition.

What about considering achievements in the VWFL? Moana Hope has already booted over 650 goals at this level. Surely that counts for something.

Depends on how much longer she plays. Phillips is 32 and has played one season of football. Unless she strings together a few more seasons at the same standard it would be an insult to those women that have been playing since their junior days for her to get into the HOF off the back of 11 good games. How much better was she than Daisy this year, really? It's like the difference between Dangerfield and Dusty last year. Let's pretend Dangerfield also won a Norm Smith and a flag, but it's also his first season in the comp compared to Dusty who's been playing for 10 years at the same standard.
It's a fair point, and unlike most other players her body will be fairly beaten around due to her long professional career in the WNBA.

What about considering achievements in the VWFL? Moana Hope has already booted over 650 goals at this level. Surely that counts for something.
It'll definitely come into play for the early pioneers. Daisy has won the VWFL B&F six times and won eight premierships at Darebin. Should absolutely come into consideration given the VWFL was the peak female football competition for all of that time.

jIJakgB.png

This is like a rockbusters clue. Cow-line-wilson. IT DOESN'T WORK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily as far as I know but my response was guided by the thread title
In the same way we recognized 3 SA pioneers last night surely those female pioneers also deserve recognition.

You make a fair point the title could confuse that issue.

I think that's where say Lee and Alberti come in. Debbie Lee theoretically won't retire for 15-20 years from the admin side as the Dees' female football operations manager. But her role in the setup of the league is essential - it was her pressure and discussions with Cameron Schwab that got the exhibition series with the Bulldogs off the ground, and she was pivotal in the assembly of the league before going into her current role. Alberti was similar from the Dogs' perspective.

Both would be worthy first entrants from the AFLW, and that's not something that will need ten years to come to fruition.

Regardless of whether the deserve it or not, these things are not instant.

No active player/coach/administrator/umpire/media personality has ever been entered into the Hall of Fame.

It is clearly for retired persons. The AFL will wait several years before inducting anybody related to AFLW.

It's worth noting it's the Australian Football Hall of Fame, not the Australian Football League Hall of Fame, status in other comps absolutely plays into it.

Regardless of whether the deserve it or not, these things are not instant.

No active player/coach/administrator/umpire/media personality has ever been entered into the Hall of Fame.

It is clearly for retired persons. The AFL will wait several years before inducting anybody related to AFLW.
Simon Goodwin

Back