Game Day AFLW 2017 R1: Pies V Blues - and so it begins!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting this thread for obvious reasons, on this historic day, but I'd be happy to hand the responsibility for future game day threads over to another poster. Any takers? barrackers?

(Copying from barrackers good work on the preview thread)

DATE: Friday 3 February
GATES OPEN: 5.30pm
FIRST BOUNCE: 7.45PM
WHERE: Princes Park, Royal Parade, Carlton
GATES: Enter via Gates 5 and 6
ADMISSION: Free
TV: Live on 7 and Fox

SELECTED TEAMS

Collingwood,
Carlton

B: 1. Caitlyn Edwards, 25. Meg Hutchins, 12. Stacey Livingstone

F: 26. Shae Audley, 1. Bri Davey, 2. Katie Loynes

HB: 17. Stephanie Chiocci, 21. Nicola Stevens, 20. Cecilia McIntosh

HF: 14. Laura Attard, 22. Bella Ayre, 13. Lauren Arnell

C:
7. Lauren Tesoriero

C: 32. Nat Plane

HF: 2. Alicia Eva, 43. Jasmine Garner, 4. Sarah D’Arcy

HB: 10. Sarah Hosking, 5. Kate Gillespie-Jones, 3. Darcy Vescio

F: 5. Emma Grant, 27. Jessica Cameron, 23. Moana Hope

B: 12. Lauren Brazzale, 31. Danielle Hardiman, 7. Sarah Last

Foll:
60. Emma King, 38. Amelia Barden, 8. Brittany Bonnici

Foll: 16. Breann Moody, 30. Al Downie, 4. Madeline Keryk

Int:
33. Bree White, 6. Christina Bernardi, 22. Sophie Casey, 26. Tara Morgan, 11. Helen Roden, 18. Ruby Schleicher

Int: 15. Natalie Exon, 18. Tilly Lucas-Rodd, 23. Jess Kennedy, 27. Alison Brown, 35. Bianca Jakobsson, 6. Gab Pound

Emerg:
3. Penny Cula-Reid, 9. Melissa Kuys

Emerg.: 8. Kate Darby, 25. Katie Shierlaw

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-01-30/ready-for-the-big-stage

Last edited:
(More copying from the preview thread, thanks to all who contributed)

WOMEN'S LISTS and PROFILES:

COLLINGWOOD: http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/womens-football/aflw-player-profiles
(images and playing positions below)

Name Ht Age
1. Caitlyn Edwards
167cm 20
2. Alicia Eva 163cm 25
3. Penny Cula-Reid 164cm 28
4. Sarah D'Arcy 171cm 25
5. Emma Grant 166cm 27
6. Christina Bernardi 167cm 26
7. Lauren Tesoriero 170cm 29
8. Brittany Bonnici 163cm 19
9. Melissa Kuys 166cm 29
10. Kendra Heil 168cm 28
11. Helen Roden 175cm 30
12. Stacey Livingstone 176cm 28
17. Stephanie Chiocci 170cm 27
18. Ruby Schleicher 175cm 18
19. Lou Wotton 178cm 33
20. Cecilia McIntosh 161cm 37
21. Nicola Stevens 173cm 23
22. Sophie Casey 165cm 25
23. Moana Hope 170cm 28
24. Kate Sheahan 165cm 35
25. Meg Hutchins 174cm 34
26. Tara Morgan 168cm 27
27. Jessica Cameron 162cm 27
31. Georgia Walker 166cm 18
33. Bree White 158cm 35
38. Amelia Barden 167cm 23
43. Jasmine Garner 175cm 20
60. Emma King 186cm 22

CARLTON: http://www.carltonfc.com.au/womensteam/players

Name Ht Age
1. Brianna Davey
2. Katie Loynes 169cm 30
3. Darcy Vescio 23
4. Madeline Keryk 169cm 21
5. Katherine Gillespie-Jones 179cm 25
6. Gabriella Pound 166cm 22
7. Sarah Last 172cm 19
8. Kate Darby 180cm 26
9. Rebecca Privitelli 169cm 22
10. Sarah Hosking 164cm 21
11. Jess Hosking 164cm 21
12. Lauren Brazzale 163cm 23
13. Lauren Arnell 29
14. Laura Attard 168cm 30
15. Nat Exon 162cm 24
16. Breann Moody 180cm 19
18. Tilly Lucas-Rodd 160cm 20
22. Isabella Ayre 176cm 28
23. Jessica Kennedy 165cm 26
25. Kate Shierlaw 186cm 27
26. Shae Audley 160cm 28
27. Alison Brown 179cm 19
30. Alison Downie 188cm 32
31. Danielle Hardiman 175cm 22
32. Natalie Plane 168cm 19
33. Hayley Trevean 167cm 26
35. Bianca Jakobsson 174cm 22

161212_aflwtile.jpg

161212_walkertile.jpg

Georgia Walker
#31 MID/FWD

Summarised from the Pies website:

- Teams will field 16 players a side + six on the bench
- There will be four x 15-minute quarters + time on after goals and injuries
- AFLW will use a size 4 football; AFL use a size 5
- All other rules will coincide with AFL laws

The Team

The forward-50 will feature one the most electrifying and dangerous forward lines in the competition, where one of the faces of women’s football - Moana Hope – will team up with the likes of Sarah D’Arcy, Jasmine Garner and Helen Roden.

The midfield group will be spearheaded by marquee player and dominant ruckman Emma King.

The club's defensive stocks include one of the best young defenders in the game – Nicole Stevens – as well as the experienced Meg Hutchins and Stacey Livingstone.

The Captain

Attacking defender Steph Chiocci has been elected to lead the AFLW Magpies in 2017. The 28-year-old was the 11th pick in the 2016 AFLW Draft. Chiocci will captain a leadership group with deputy Alicia Eva from Melbourne University, and will be supported by ruckmen Emma King and Lou Wotton (Lou is not playing tonight).

The Coach

Wayne Siekman
was appointed Collingwood AFLW head coach back in July 2016, and is supported by assistants Brendan Major, Harmit Singh and Nikki Harwood.

I'm super excited about this.

It is the first day of the season. This is a brand new competition and we don't really know what's going to happen next.

We don't have any expectations that could spoil the party. There are no players to have a breakout season. There is no evolution of a gameplan. It's like having a whole new team full of fresh draftees. The standards are relative - as long as we are at least as competitive as Carlton then we're going to look good.

Can't wait!

They just said on SEN that some at the AFL are concerned that there might be people who can't get in tonight. I'm not saying that to scare people from going, just to warn people that they might need to get their a bit earlier than they had planned.

They also said that the Pies went to the AFL and told them that they had to move the game. Hopefully that means the heads at Collingwood will consider Vic Park next season.

They just said on SEN that some at the AFL are concerned that there might be people who can't get in tonight. I'm not saying that to scare people from going, just to warn people that they might need to get their a bit earlier than they had planned.

They also said that the Pies went to the AFL and told them that they had to move the game. Hopefully that means the heads at Collingwood will consider Vic Park next season.

I intend to get there early, from when the gates open if I can. I know of a few footy fans who are thinking of going, but more to the point I know of quite a few non-footy fans who have been drawn to the occasion.

I'm super excited about this.

It is the first day of the season. This is a brand new competition and we don't really know what's going to happen next.

We don't have any expectations that could spoil the party. There are no players to have a breakout season. There is no evolution of a gameplan. It's like having a whole new team full of fresh draftees. The standards are relative - as long as we are at least as competitive as Carlton then we're going to look good.

Can't wait!
So, like GWS and GC without a ridiculous amount of draft concessions?

In the team lineup can the Collingwood line be the only one bolded and Carton's left unbolded?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus. It holds 25,000..

Spewing this isnt at Vic park. Could easily catch a train there. I can see why they stopped using Ikon.

Gotta agree with this, but maybe pies never registered Vic Park as a potential ground with the league... hence why the game then had to go to Princess Park. Hopefully the pies hietarchy learn from this.... scheduling anything but training and an intra club at the Holden Centre is a mistake IMO

25,000 would be a miracle.

It could be. Except that I have spoken to several people today, who say they are going, as are some of their friends. And they rarely go, if ever, to AFL games. As much as anything, its a symbolic gesture on their part. They want to give the AFL a message.

Build it and they will come...

Spewing this isnt at Vic park. Could easily catch a train there. I can see why they stopped using Ikon.
Same here, was going to go but Ikon is just too hard to get to at that time :( Will be cheering on the girls as best as I can from the couch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back