Autopsy AFLW 2017 R2 - pies go down to Melbourne in game of 2 halves

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-11/match-report-secondhalf-surge-keeps-demons-season-alive

COLLINGWOOD
3.0 4.1 4.1 4.1 (25)
MELBOURNE 1.0 1.0 5.1 7.2 (44)

GOALS
Collingwood:
Edwards, Hope, Grant, Cameron
Melbourne: Phillips 2, Anderson, Paxman, Mifsud, Scott, Jolly

BEST
Collingwood:
Barden, D'Arcy, Eva, Grant, Chiocci
Melbourne: Paxman, Phillips, Pearce, O'Dea, Mithen

INJURIES
Collingwood:
Nil
Melbourne: Downie (head)

Reports: Nil

Official crowd: 6,917 at Ikon Park

MY REVIEW

Game of 2 halves tonight and a good lesson on what we do right and where we need to improve.

In the first half we played smart composed footy and we clearly learnt from the last couple of weeks by handballing backwards to a player in space and taking our time or knocking the ball into space if the opportunity presented. We seen how dangerous our forwards and especially Hope can be when given space.

On Hope she seems at her best when she can knock the footy to ground and wheel around. I also liked her goal celebration, you could tell she was fired up and the game meant something.

In the second half we couldn't get our hands on the footy as easily, but we also played some really dumb footy allowing Melbourne players to run off our forwards unopposed to once again get us on the quick break as we seen against the blues and dogs, not having someone on the goal line, allowing Melbourne players to peel off and run into their forward 50 unopposed, allowing their forwards to lead onto the footy unopposed or in general playing from behind.

While we lack pace especially in contrast to the key position players of other teams I beginning to wonder if it's a fitness issue. The preseason was only 7 or 8 weeks long and we completely went off our game after half time. Besides being bipolar I can't see any other reason for the contrasting halves.

Last edited:
Hope needs to lose some weight and get fit otherwise she won't survive the future of AFLW filled with great female athletes.

It's all well and good to beat up amateur girls in the country but a national high speed comp is something a little different. She has a lot of talent but I'd love to see her beep test result.
Would get tired turning the test on.

Well just got home, first football unrelated comment.
Ikon Park is a safety hazard, back of seats rotten and boards loose on seats.

I wonder whether CFC thought that things would just happen, we pride ourselves on supposedly being the biggest and the best.
When the girls came out for the pre-game warm up looked sloppy and coaches busy talking to each other in the middle of the ground. although when kicking for goal girls very accurate.
Melbourne on the other hand, coaches were spread around the group.

We had a banner, where as Melbourne had a group of girls forming a line as they ran their banner. I realise it is just optics but it all adds to the atmosphere and the spectacle for a new competition.

Now to the game, I have already mentioned our set up and didn't see a lot of cohesion. Cannot question the girl's endeavour.

Not sure what instructions they were given but leaving two spare back and no-one dropping back was frustrating. Barely saw the runner go out.

On the positive, Chiocci is a star and marquee worthy. Stevens, McIntosh short but tries hard, Stevens also good. I didn't mind King's game.

I also make some allowance for them being part-time and some being new to the game but at the same so were the opposition. The gap for me seems to be in coaching and fitness. I wonder how we measured up height wise, they looked taller.

Oh and I hate the grey training tops, why grey?

Last edited:
we lack speed, so when melbourne flick the switch, they were to quick for us
we try hard, tackle well but not enough speed and skill. but hopefully in time
we will recruit that

Structures were nonexistent in the second half. At one point, it went out of bounds in the dees forward pocket and I counted 7 Collingwood players behind the ball deep in defence. No dees girls in 30metres. To me, that seems a bit lazy, or lack of fitness, or lack of structure. No matter which, it's not good. The umpiring was also inconsistent. The frees they paid were there, but seemed to be given a lot of latitude sometimes, and then pinged harshly the next.

Our captain is a dead set gun. Love her. Thought she looked good on tv last week, but in person, love her workrate and mongrel.

On another negative note, didn't see the hit late, or who delivered it as I was in the opposite pocket, it looked late and deliberate. Could be a long break coming up.

Also, Collingwood fc get your s**t together. Playing at carltons ground is embarrassing. Get the scheduling right you peanuts.

Hard work these first two games. You can see the girls trying, but then let down by their fitness/skills/experience/coaching. Topped off by having to play at an opposition venue. 'Teething problems' indeed! Can't help but feel this could have been better established and managed by the club. They underestimated the crowd numbers and level of interest. Did they also underestimate the seriousness with which some clubs have gone about it? It really irks me, but Carlton have done this better.

On the crowds, they really have a different make up to your typical footy crowd, and proving to be an untapped resource. Dollar signs will be going off at AFL HQ.

Hard work these first two games. You can see the girls trying, but then let down by their fitness/skills/experience/coaching. Topped off by having to play at an opposition venue. 'Teething problems' indeed! Can't help but feel this could have been better established and managed by the club. They underestimated the crowd numbers and level of interest. Did they also underestimate the seriousness with which some clubs have gone about it? It really irks me, but Carlton have done this better.

On the crowds, they really have a different make up to your typical footy crowd, and proving to be an untapped resource. Dollar signs will be going off at AFL HQ.

It's currently free to get into the games this season?

This was my first look and I totally agree.

What kind of crowds do you think they will get in season 2 when you have to pay to go and the novelty has worn off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope needs to lose some weight and get fit otherwise she won't survive the future of AFLW filled with great female athletes.

It's all well and good to beat up amateur girls in the country but a national high speed comp is something a little different. She has a lot of talent but I'd love to see her beep test result.
Heard before the season started she wasn't keen on the running components of training. Showing very much this is true.

She isn't big or strong enough just stand there pointing.

What kind of crowds do you think they will get in season 2 when you have to pay to go and the novelty has worn off

I've said elsewhere that the 'novelty' crowds will thin down, but it will build again. That may be next season. I've met so many at the AFLW who have attended their first ever games, or are rare attendees at the footy.

If the crowds average out at around 5k, that will be about right.

It's currently free to get into the games this season?

Yep, but that won't be the case forever. As others have pointed out, when entry is eventually charged, the $ could be used to increase the girls' meagre pay packets.

Do any of you hear our women's coach speak?

He sounds like a dad they nabbed from the under 9s. Sounds like has absolutely no clue what he's talking about and literally sounds like a coach who normally coaches children.

It's no wonder we're terrible.

I wish we recruit more athletes. Skills were always be sloppy in the first few seasons, the fitter and stronger teams will always have an easier time as the game right now is contests + counterattacking from turnovers (and most likely will be for a while).

IMO should have built a team of athletes with a couple of good ball users and then recruit more skilled users as the years go on. Awareness from other sports is transferable. Girls like Erin Phillips just know where to be on the field to be dangerous. It'd be easier teaching these girls how to kick a ball good enough than getting someone like Hope to get into top shape.

I've said elsewhere that the 'novelty' crowds will thin down, but it will build again. That may be next season. I've met so many at the AFLW who have attended their first ever games, or are rare attendees at the footy.

If the crowds average out at around 5k, that will be about right.

I feel like there is quite a big chance Crowds will drop off to VFL level in the near future.

I don't see why the Collingwood's womens team will get substantially bigger crowds than the VFL team outside of the initial novelty and people wanting to show suport for female sport.

We say a 23k > 6k drop from week 1 to 2 if I'm not mistaken

Do any of you hear our women's coach speak?

He sounds like a dad they nabbed from the under 9s. Sounds like has absolutely no clue what he's talking about and literally sounds like a coach who normally coaches children.

It's no wonder we're terrible.
The bloke was an assistant at the Dandenong stingrays ffs. Anyone who knows anything about the coaching community knows that isn't exactly a highly regarded position. Probably a volunteer position and or very low paying like most TAC assistants. Mind boggling.

So many of these sort of coaches have had a go at local football and failed miserably. There is a big difference to holding up the board at quarter time compared to running the show.

I feel like there is quite a big chance Crowds will drop off to VFL level in the near future.

I don't see why the Collingwood's womens team will get substantially bigger crowds than the VFL team outside of the initial novelty and people wanting to show suport for female sport.

We say a 23k > 6k drop from week 1 to 2 if I'm not mistaken

I have to admit I'm sceptical of the crowds being maintained once the JLT series kicks off and doubly so once there's an entry fee, but I think the 5-6k is more the standard size when its stand alone.

The other matches this weekend have both drawn close to 8k so I wouldn't be overly concerned with the novelty of it.

As Vicky Park reported in the gameday thread it's a bit of different crowd to AFL / VFL games.

When you get folks going along who have never been to an AFL game in their lives then it's difficult to predict what's going to happen next. You may very well end up being right, it might drop off. But you could end up being wrong too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back