Autopsy AFLW 2017 R2 - pies go down to Melbourne in game of 2 halves

I think the handballing skills of quite a few of the players need a fair bit of work, that has probably stood out to me the most.
Maybe we need to drag out some film of Collingwood playing 125 years ago to compare so other posters can see how the men's competition has developed.;)

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
TG, the AFLW is not for you. We get that. But it is for tens of thousands of girls and women, especially young women. It's for my daughters to enjoy. My grandaughters when they grow up. My friends, many of whom have been to their first footy match in years in the last two weeks. Its for my colleague at work who took her nieces, aged 5 and 3, to the first game. And the 5 year old who couldn't stop talking about it afterwards, she was so excited to see girls playing footy, at a big ground and with lots of people!

Let's look at it another way. Boys have been watching men play Aussie Rules for 160 years, dreaming about playing it themselves. I'd guess every player on our list went to the footy as a kid, and loved it.

Girls have not had that opportunity, and now they do, at the highest level.

The standard will improve. The crowd numbers will fluctuate and improve over time.

But I'm reading some mean-spirited posts here. Calling it 'rubbish' as you have, reflects more on you than it does on the AFLW.

For me, right now, its a significant advance. These first games are symbolic as much as anything. Why would you want to rain on the parade of 1000s of happy girls, to whom this means so much?
The crowd numbers will not improve because when people are asked to pay more will stay away. It's been a novelty and it's already starting to wear off crowd at Melbourne game was well down on the first one. Charge them $20 a head and see how many will turn up each week.

Your expectations must have been extraordinarily low.

Really 76er? It's about the worst standard of footy one could hope to witness but someone isn't allowed to say that just because it's women?
It's a great opportunity for all women/girls to play the game they love in a much more professional environment but let's not kid ourselves about the standard. To expect people not to factually say that the standard of footy is poor because it's 'not cool' is .......... not cool.

Didn't think the standard was so great in 1958 but we won. Look were the game is at now.

What did you expect?

The crowd numbers will not improve because when people are asked to pay more will stay away. It's been a novelty and it's already starting to wear off crowd at Melbourne game was well down on the first one. Charge them $20 a head and see how many will turn up each week.
They will get as many if not more that the VFL and that is the level I expect them to be next year.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Nobody is asking or expecting you to be interested in it.

Why are you even in this thread?

Ed and the board signed Collingwood up to AFLW??? :huh:

images
Eddie signed them up because he didn't want to have the backlash of us being one of the bigger clubs that missed out. I wish the concept didn't begin so Eddies name wasn't even brought it in the first place. He should not be affiliated with this stuff it's a big joke.

You have responded to one of my points. What about the others?

No. just no. Wait until all three are on at the same time. Whole reason we watch the reserves is to see who is coming in to the senior side.
You may but I don't think the high percentage of girls and women do. I didn't think you went to reserves games.
Stop using yourself as the yardstick because if you do together with your posting history, no-one would go to the footy.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Maybe we need to drag out some film of Collingwood playing 125 years ago to compare so other posters can see how the men's competition has developed.;)
You kind of beat me to the punch with the post about the 1958 game, but never mind!

They invariably show the "classic" 1966 VFL Grand Final (Pies vs. Saints) on the GF eve marathon. I've made the comment a few times over the years that the standard on display was terrible, yet it's talked about as one of the great games.

The women's football standard will no doubt improve significantly over the years as the talent pool will grow very quickly given how positive the start has been for this competition.

Eddie signed them up because he didn't want to have the backlash of us being one of the bigger clubs that missed out. I wish the concept didn't begin so Eddies name wasn't even brought it in the first place. He should not be affiliated with this stuff

Why do you care about Ed?

Collingwood is much bigger than Eddie McGuire?

it's a big joke.

If you feel that way, that's cool. Best you give it a miss then?

Sep 27, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SAS, SSC Napoli, ΠΑΟΚ FC
TG, the AFLW is not for you. We get that. But it is for tens of thousands of girls and women, especially young women. It's for my daughters to enjoy. My grandaughters when they grow up. My friends, many of whom have been to their first footy match in years in the last two weeks. Its for my colleague at work who took her nieces, aged 5 and 3, to the first game. And the 5 year old who couldn't stop talking about it afterwards, she was so excited to see girls playing footy, at a big ground and with lots of people!

Let's look at it another way. Boys have been watching men play Aussie Rules for 160 years, dreaming about playing it themselves. I'd guess every player on our list went to the footy as a kid, and loved it.

Girls have not had that opportunity, and now they do, at the highest level.

The standard will improve. The crowd numbers will fluctuate and improve over time.

But I'm reading some mean-spirited posts here. Calling it 'rubbish' as you have, reflects more on you than it does on the AFLW.

For me, right now, its a significant advance. These first games are symbolic as much as anything. Why would you want to rain on the parade of 1000s of happy girls, to whom this means so much?
Second this. The flow on effects are already being seen at local level as well- my local club has introduced Girls U13s, 15s, & 18s with plans to introduce a senior side in the next 2-3years. I have no doubt that had this opportunity been available just a few years ago I would have been lacing up the boots every Saturday instead of trundling round the local track. Now thousands of girls have the opportunity to more easily participate in the sport they love, and will have idols that they aspire to be. The skills & quality will undoubtedly take time but the positive effects are already being seen at arguably the most important stage- the grassroots level.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Eddie signed them up because he didn't want to have the backlash of us being one of the bigger clubs that missed out. I wish the concept didn't begin so Eddies name wasn't even brought it in the first place. He should not be affiliated with this stuff it's a big joke.

Lol are you seriously attacking AFLW as a 'big joke'?

You spoke about the standard, well obviously it's not up to the AFL quality we're used to seeing, since they were not professionals until now.
I'm confident the quality will improve quite a lot over the next few years...there was already quite an improvement from week 1 to week 2 and the intensity is impressive.

And i guess if Collingwood won the AFLW premiership you wouldn't give a stuff and see it as totally irrelevant?

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Second this. The flow on effects are already being seen at local level as well- my local club has introduced Girls U13s, 15s, & 18s with plans to introduce a senior side in the next 2-3years. I have no doubt that had this opportunity been available just a few years ago I would have been lacing up the boots every Saturday instead of trundling round the local track. Now thousands of girls have the opportunity to more easily participate in the sport they love, and will have idols that they aspire to be. The skills & quality will undoubtedly take time but the positive effects are already being seen at arguably the most important stage- the grassroots level.
Flow on effect? You can't be serious. 70,000 ollingwood fan wouldn't have even watched the womens game. In no way do they present what the Collingwood team is about.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Lol are you seriously attacking AFLW as a 'big joke'?

You spoke about the standard, well obviously it's not up to the AFL quality we're used to seeing, since they were not professionals until now.
I'm confident the quality will improve quite a lot over the next few years...there was already quite an improvement from week 1 to week 2 and the intensity is impressive.

And i guess if Collingwood won the AFLW premiership you wouldn't give a stuff and see it as totally irrelevant?
If Collingwood won a womens flag it would mean as much as winning a pre season nab cup flag. 0.

Sep 27, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SAS, SSC Napoli, ΠΑΟΚ FC
Flow on effect? You can't be serious. 70,000 ollingwood fan wouldn't have even watched the womens game. In no way do they present what the Collingwood team is about.

Not going to argue with someone who has missed the crux of my argument. We will have to agree to disagree for now

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Just wanted to address a few of the points being raised:

Of course the standard was not going to be anywhere near the men's competition. These girls are part timers who are mostly working/studying full time. Because of their low contracts ($8-16k for the season, from memory) they can only spend 8hrs a week at the club - that's 8 hours/week training for what, 2 months? Also the majority of them have probably not played footy all through their development - it just wasn't available to all girls, and quite a few had left footy for a number of years to pursue other careers/sports and have only recently come back because of this opportunity at what it could mean for the sport.
Give them another year or two together, and renumerate them so that they can be full time athletes (even if it is only for just the length of the AFLW pre-season & season, say 4months) and the level of play is guaranteed to improve.
As someone who has followed my share of women's basketball over the years, even though the physical attributes of women will also be different to that of the men, there is no reason that the level of skills can't become comparable.

And yes, the crowds in the first round were inflated because of the novelty of the first games and free entry, but crowds held up reasonable well this round, and I have plenty of friends who went to the Freo game today who would be more than willing to pay for tickets. The goal of this first season was always about getting an idea of crowd interest - and I think so far it has been a great success. Keep the same level of interest for next year and I reckon most of the people who attended would be willing to pay for tickets.

The challenge from here is how do you turn it into a profitable, and sustainable, product. I think you have to keep it at 8 teams for the moment (maybe at least 5 years) just to get the depth of talent up. It also will need to be heavily promoted as a product, if for no other reason than to start to make these girls household names. But I think if you keep the games at this time of year, when people want to watch AFL but don't have any games to watch, and you renumerate the girls well enough that you can train them full time over those few months, then I really see this being successful.

Without Ed we would be the Carlton of the 2000s. A rubbish club.

I'm not knocking Ed here.

I just think that when judging the merits of matters Collingwood, protecting the personal image of the club President is the last thing that I would or should give two hoots about. All the more so given he's the one responsible for matters Collingwood because he is after all, the club President? :huh:

Just wanted to address a few of the points being raised:

Of course the standard was not going to be anywhere near the men's competition. These girls are part timers who are mostly working/studying full time. Because of their low contracts ($8-16k for the season, from memory) they can only spend 8hrs a week at the club - that's 8 hours/week training for what, 2 months? Also the majority of them have probably not played footy all through their development - it just wasn't available to all girls, and quite a few had left footy for a number of years to pursue other careers/sports and have only recently come back because of this opportunity at what it could mean for the sport.
Give them another year or two together, and renumerate them so that they can be full time athletes (even if it is only for just the length of the AFLW pre-season & season, say 4months) and the level of play is guaranteed to improve.
As someone who has followed my share of women's basketball over the years, even though the physical attributes of women will also be different to that of the men, there is no reason that the level of skills can't become comparable.

And yes, the crowds in the first round were inflated because of the novelty of the first games and free entry, but crowds held up reasonable well this round, and I have plenty of friends who went to the Freo game today who would be more than willing to pay for tickets. The goal of this first season was always about getting an idea of crowd interest - and I think so far it has been a great success. Keep the same level of interest for next year and I reckon most of the people who attended would be willing to pay for tickets.

The challenge from here is how do you turn it into a profitable, and sustainable, product. I think you have to keep it at 8 teams for the moment (maybe at least 5 years) just to get the depth of talent up. It also will need to be heavily promoted as a product, if for no other reason than to start to make these girls household names. But I think if you keep the games at this time of year, when people want to watch AFL but don't have any games to watch, and you renumerate the girls well enough that you can train them full time over those few months, then I really see this being successful.

Would you go the Freo v Pies AFLW game coming up in a few weeks? (IIRC it's a double header with the men's?)

Greening Magic

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood

Didn't think the standard was so great in 1958 but we won. Look were the game is at now.

What did you expect?

I got exactly what I expected.

I'm not knocking the fact the AFLW has been introduced as it's already excited my 7 year old daughter who loves to kick the footy with me and was excited to get her photo taken with Mo Hope.
What I don't support is the notion that it's currently at a good standard. And that one shouldn't criticise the standard.
The standard is laughable but we all know the bigger picture is the future, be it 5, 10,20 years down the track.
It will no doubt improve as the juniors who've had the opportunity to develop all the way through the grades come through.
The AFL need to keep it as an 'out of season' novelty comp for a while yet so it can establish a following and improve the quality.

What I don't like is the fact that when someone knocks the current game it's considered 'not cool'.
God forbid the backlash a current AFL footballer would get if they decided to bag the AFLW.
Gill would make them do an educational course to make them understand the error of their ways. :drunk:

I got exactly what I expected.

I'm not knocking the fact the AFLW has been introduced as it's already excited my 7 year old daughter who loves to kick the footy with me and was excited to get her photo taken with Mo Hope.
What I don't support is the notion that it's currently at a good standard. And that one shouldn't criticise the standard.
The standard is laughable but we all know the bigger picture is the future, be it 5, 10,20 years down the track.
It will no doubt improve as the juniors who've had the opportunity to develop all the way through the grades come through.
The AFL need to keep it as an 'out of season' novelty comp for a while yet so it can establish a following and improve the quality.

What I don't like is the fact that when someone knocks the current game it's considered 'not cool'.
God forbid the backlash a current AFL footballer would get if they decided to bag the AFLW.
Gill would make them do an educational course to make them understand the error of their ways. :drunk:
Fair enough. Great for your daughter.
However since this is the first year, what standard were you measuring against. I think that was what was being questioned.

Back