Autopsy AFLW 2017 R2 - pies go down to Melbourne in game of 2 halves

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting discussion here on AFLW and its 'worth'.

I think there are a whole bunch of things to consider tbh.

1. It's not going to be perfect in season one. Hell, AFL itself isn't perfect in season 121.

2. To that end, AFL was of an awful standard (by today's measure) when it first started. No doubt many of the players then came from different non-football backgrounds and took a few years to get the hang of it all. The scores this season so far from what I can tell largely mirror what we saw when VFL was in it's infancy in 1897. It's also worth noting the shorter quarters and less stoppages mean we have less time for scoring to take place.

3. It's ok to say you don't like it or it's not for you - but that doesn't mean you have the right to s**t on the experience for those who do value and enjoy it.

4. It's ok to constructively criticise. There are a shitload of elements of the women's game that need improvement but that will come. It was never going to be an elite competition straight off the bat but it's certainly got the promise and potential in coming seasons.

Interesting discussion here on AFLW and its 'worth'.

I think there are a whole bunch of things to consider tbh.

1. It's not going to be perfect in season one. Hell, AFL itself isn't perfect in season 121.

2. To that end, AFL was of an awful standard (by today's measure) when it first started. No doubt many of the players then came from different non-football backgrounds and took a few years to get the hang of it all. The scores this season so far from what I can tell largely mirror what we saw when VFL was in it's infancy in 1897. It's also worth noting the shorter quarters and less stoppages mean we have less time for scoring to take place.

3. It's ok to say you don't like it or it's not for you - but that doesn't mean you have the right to s**t on the experience for those who do value and enjoy it.

4. It's ok to constructively criticise. There are a shitload of elements of the women's game that need improvement but that will come. It was never going to be an elite competition straight off the bat but it's certainly got the promise and potential in coming seasons.

Thats all good and well but when will the women play at Vic Park, the crowds will be good and local business will be good as well - must be a win win if ever i saw one.

Hey Eddie whats the go ?????

Pretty sure AFL was created merely as a means of keeping cricketers fit over the winter. They probably didn't care about the standard.

IIRC the scoreline of the first game was 1 goal to 0?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back