AFLW 2017 - R4 - What have you liked, learnt or hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

I only had time to watch demons v Carlton this time.

Liked: the maturity shown by Dees to hold it together in the last quarter when Carlton had found some momentum. Loved Daisy's work in this regard.

Learned: Melbourne are a longer term proposition at this stage with lots of young, inexperienced players that appear to have talent worth developing.

Hated the 50 frees - this penalty needs adjusting in the women's games. Actually, it could use a rethink for encroaching on the protected zone type offences in the men's also, but it is way OTT for the women's matches.

Liked, Non Victorian teams doing well. Important to grow the game, men and women.

Learnt (again), Dogs list lacks serious depth and needs work before season 2

I only had time to watch demons v Carlton this time.

Liked: the maturity shown by Dees to hold it together in the last quarter when Carlton had found some momentum. Loved Daisy's work in this regard.

Learned: Melbourne are a longer term proposition at this stage with lots of young, inexperienced players that appear to have talent worth developing.

Hated the 50 frees - this penalty needs adjusting in the women's games. Actually, it could use a rethink for encroaching on the protected zone type offences in the men's also, but it is way OTT for the women's matches.
100%Agree on 50metre penalty rule.This rule is so far from its original intention it's ridiculous

Liked: The reaction of the Collingwood players to their first win. Clearly the competition means something to them, and well done.
Learned: Sadly, I hoped for a miracle but it isn't going to happen with our girls, this year at least. We'll build and do better though.
Hated: Starting to get a pissed at people holding the AFLW to the AFL standard. The players are paid peanuts and had a limited preparation.

Learned: Apparently this league is still on. Only reason I knew was it came on the tv at the pub in inverloch and everyone complained about it and asked for it to be switched to the cricket

It's not going anywhere buddy. You're just going to have to suck it up

People power will decide...it lost in the pub yesterday let's see if it can capture the attention of the sports loving public or if they continue to switch over to something that does

The Saturday night game got less than 200,000 viewers on FTA. Even if it was shown in Melbourne only that's a pretty bad effort considering the teams involved AND Crocodile Dundee 2 beat it.

Liked: The standard of some of the games, and how excited they are when they win
Learned: I actually prefer the AFLW games to some of the ho hum JLT games. Cant believe it!

Liked= the fact that these women can actually play this game really well, good to watch.

Learnt= they still have a long long development way to go, precision passing and one touch grabs, it all takes time.

Hated= Nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're underselling Crocodile Dundee here.
agree
the second one is pretty good too.
as for AFLW, im puzzled why people thought a league in its first year, with its first crop of draftees, who have very little in the way of preseasons and proper training behind them, is not the spectacle that a league with over 100 years of pedigree has.
im excited to see it build over the next 5-10 years
Would watch over the cricket...i really dont get the attraction to cricket.

Learnt: Slanted talent pool means that injuries to the best players make a difference.

Davey out for the Blues means their inside midfield unit all of a sudden turns from one of the best into one of the worst.
Adelaide got thumped by Freo in the pre-season, but with no Phillips playing, (although with a 1 game sample size) she clearly has made a difference into how good Adelaide have been. I don't think the "experts" were necessarily wrong in thinking that Adelaide would be a bottom-2 team, it's just that, nobody knew Phillips would be one of the best players in the competition, and she alone has transformed Adelaide from wooden spoon to premiership contendors
Dogs have Brennan, O'Connor out, and Lambert (presumably) still playing injured after missing a game two weeks ago (because she's having no influence on the matches whatsoever, and I think she's not rotating through the midfield) and can't even beat Collingwood. We beat Collingwood quite comfortably in the practice game (the 10 point margin in the end flattered the Pies in terms of game dominance). Who knows if O'Connor has been playing injured since round 1 etc. We thumped Freo by 30+ points in Round 1, Lambert and O'Connor were among our best, been injured since, Brennan was playing injured, but was less injured than she was round 2 when she re-rolled her ankle and obviously wasn't playing since then in better Dogs games, but without that forward punch that resulted in losses.

We all knew that the talent pool was slanted, and teams would live and die by their best 5-8 players, but I don't think we all knew to what extent that was true. The best 20-50 players are just that much better than the next 150-180 in the competition that it's really them that makes or breaks it (compared to men's footy).

I think with the next generation the improvements aren't going to come with the top end talent, but rather the depth of talent. What I mean, in that, say the talent pool expands 4x larger, I don't think that means that there's going to be 4x Vescio, Brennan, Pearce, Blackburn etc. Because these players were likely identified to be the best from a young age, they're unlikely to drop out of football. Like Blackburn was a 4x U/18 all-australian - it means she dominated the national U/18 champs at 15 years old so much that she was an AA. My point is, that if the junior participation rate increases 4x, we're not going to have 4x Blackburns because players that good were already playing/aren't going to drop away. I mean, the increased participation level means we'll get more obviously, but it'll be 2x Blackburns out of 4x the talent pool. But the extended talent pool helps improve that quality of the players ranked 20/50-200 in the competition, because the player who is solid at junior level, but not quite AA-at-15-superstar, is less likely to stop playing into adulthood with expanding talent pool.

Small squad sizes also contribute to this problem, in that with only 27 players not everybody drafted perfectly - and they're not AFL men's outfits with heaps of draft watchers etc. the draft was even more of an inexact science with more limited resources to conduct the draft. We saw a Carlton top-up player play well against Melbourne - yet she wasn't drafted - and other top-ups like Walker at Collingwood were getting games ahead of actual players that were drafted. I mean every Melbourne team passing over Sarah Perkins (although with doubts about her fitness which she improved massively during pre-season) kinda proves that as well. Likewise, some team's FA's, like Gogos for the Dogs, have played every game whilst other actual drafted players have been dropped etc. this proves that if they could have extended their squads to 30-35 players, the quality of play would have increased, because they could have captured 20-50 more players, and then, if those extra players thrived in an AFL environment or just the drafters screwed up, they would get games ahead of the players that already played. There's no question that there's a say 40 players not currently on AFLW lists that are better than perhaps 10-20 of players currently on AFLW list, and this would improved the quality of play massively.

And with the talent pool/number of adult teams increasing twofold, threefold in a matter of years, and the benefits reaped will come sooner than later I reckon. Part of my excitement from this year's league isn't so much the footy itself this year (because to be honest, some of the footy has been pretty terrible and scrappy), but to see the base as to which it's played at so we can look at the massive improvement year on year.

I get the feeling that teams will draft heavily from the U/18 talent pool year-on-year - not so much that these players are more physically mature, it's just that you're more likely to find a better 18 year old than 28 year old because that 18 year old had better junior coaching, would have played TAC Cup footy (which hasn't existed before this year), and simply, it's a bigger pool to pick from as participation increases.

This post ended up being heaps longer than I had first anticipated but anyway it's interesting to see how the league develops.

^ No doubt, if you lose one of your marquees, it's felt quite heavily, examples across half the teams so far.

Interestingly, things haven't panned out as many thought before the start of the season. As the second strongest state in women's footy, and noting that Freo had sourced all of their players locally, we thought Freo was going to be a top two team.

The Lions haven't surprised me because I thought their extra recruiting had been pretty good, and they have some very good local girls.

Adelaide is a surprise package - absolutely no one would have expected them to be undefeated after four games, and all that with having 9 NT girls doing most of their training away from the main group - quite incredible what they have managed to do so far.

What were people's thoughts on Brisbane entering the season.
About 5 years ago I remembered the qld state team were pretty good and were obviously the #3 state at the time. So with Victoria being split 4 ways I thought that'd bring them down to or below brisbanes level.

Entering this season my expectations were
Freo premiers
Brisbane runners up
The four vic teams fighting it out in the middle
Adelaide hoping to be competitive vs Victorian teams
GWS praying like hell they went better than 0 premiership points.

There's talk more AFL teams are clamouring for an AFLW license for the 2018 season. I reckon before the league expands, AFLW quarter lengths need to increase just like men’s footy. This allows more chances for scoring opportunities - which is one of the reasons there are complaints about the lack of goals kicked in an AFLW game. As a supporter, I know my team won't be able to mount a comeback from 3 down goals at 3qtr time because there simply isn't enough time. Also if they are going to start charging for games, I'd certainly want more bang for my buck than an hour's worth of actual football.

There's talk more AFL teams are clamouring for an AFLW license for the 2018 season. I reckon before the league expands, AFLW quarter lengths need to increase just like men’s footy.

I'm glad I'm not the one deciding who gets licenses next, it's going to be very hard to keep everyone happy.

I don't think the quarters need to increase, but the clock needs to halt during stoppages, as it's just too easy for a team to run the clock down. The heat is definitly a factor determining the quarter length, as women are more susceptible to extreme heat than men for a variety of physical reasons.

The Saturday night game got less than 200,000 viewers on FTA. Even if it was shown in Melbourne only that's a pretty bad effort considering the teams involved AND Crocodile Dundee 2 beat it.
In response to these poor ratings, this Saturday's Adelaide v Brisbane game has been moved to 7mate in Melbourne, The movie "King Kong" will instead air on the main channel at 7pm.

In response to these poor ratings, this Saturday's Adelaide v Brisbane game has been moved to 7mate in Melbourne, The movie "King Kong" will instead air on the main channel at 7pm.

As much as I would crow about it being a victory due to bad ratings. I reckon that's just 7 playing it safe due to the interstate teams.

Though it should rate its socks off with where the teams are on the ladder.

Injuries could have an impact on the standard/popularity of the game moving forward if they continue at the rate they have been happening.

It's worrying that so many knee injuries are occurring within the league.

I'll watch any football so have tuned into a few games and enjoyed them. Would be into it more if Richmond had a team.

Problem is that it is not currently a mainstream women's sport which means the depth of talent and skill is ordinary. You watch a game of top flight women's netball, basketball, tennis or hockey.. and you can tell those girls are awesome at those sports. They would smash any average bloke. Whereas AFLW is maybe on par with some suburban junior games. 4 or 5 who can play and a lot that can't. They try but the skills just aren't there. A decent male amateur AFL player would go out there and be one of the better players. No way that happens in a mainstream women's sport.

If the AFL persist for long enough for it to become mainstream (they will..) then the standard will improve and it will be far better viewing. We love our footy so people will watch.

I'll watch any football so have tuned into a few games and enjoyed them. Would be into it more if Richmond had a team.

Problem is that it is not currently a mainstream women's sport which means the depth of talent and skill is ordinary. You watch a game of top flight women's netball, basketball, tennis or hockey.. and you can tell those girls are awesome at those sports. They would smash any average bloke. Whereas AFLW is maybe on par with some suburban junior games. 4 or 5 who can play and a lot that can't. They try but the skills just aren't there. A decent male amateur AFL player would go out there and be one of the better players. No way that happens in a mainstream women's sport.

If the AFL persist for long enough for it to become mainstream (they will..) then the standard will improve and it will be far better viewing. We love our footy so people will watch.

For reference, the Newcastle U15 soccer side beat the women's national team 7-0
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...-newcastle-jets-u15-side-20160525-gp43yl.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back