Autopsy AFLW 2017 R5 vs Freo (@ Mandurah) game day #9, 'pies hang on & WIN by 1 point!! TWO IN A ROW!!! #40

Remove this Banner Ad

We lost to Brisbane by 4 points.

GWS and Adelaide are our last two matches. We should beat GWS and hopefully we can take it up to Adelaide.

Keep Dreaming of us Making the Finals as we 0.1% Chance

It worked out okay but I have no idea how that tackle on #5 wasn't given holding the ball

Me neither; we certainly got pinged for ones much hotter than that and it seemed to be a trend of the game that Freo were given a lot more leniency to get rid of the footy before they were penalised.

She's just so fantastic Alicia Eva.
Definitely my favourite of the ladies team

She's just so fantastic Alicia Eva.
Definitely my favourite of the ladies team

Stop the video at the 17 second mark and compare the relative positions of Eva and Hope. Hope gestures Garner to kick to the goals (not sure why Hope would do that, there was nobody goalside of her, Eva was a fair way back and behind Hope). Eva gut runs and kicks the goal.

Looks like it could have been a set play

Stop the video at the 17 second mark and compare the relative positions of Eva and Hope. Hope gestures Garner to kick to the goals (not sure why Hope would do that, there was nobody goalside of her, Eva was a fair way back and behind Hope). Eva gut runs and kicks the goal.

Looks like it could have been a set play
Could have been.

Just loved her run, was terrific.

Best thing I saw in both games - that sort of effort, makes me smile.

If Prized Icon could have chased down Hey Doc in the guineas today at Flemington then maybe, I'd have smiled more

There's a good article on the BBC website about the popularity of women's football in Australia, it's well worth checking out. For some reason I'm unable to paste the page address here, so if you want to read it just copy and paste the headline to search for it:-

AFLW: How a women's league has captivated Australia

Women are playing Australian rules football professionally for the first time in 2017, drawing sell-out crowds and stunning TV ratings. The league has been celebrated on several fronts despite some controversy over pay, writes Elissa Doherty in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're up to 5th spot on the ladder after Round 5, which looks far nicer than 8th did a few weeks back! Beat GWS next week and we're not likely to drop below that spot (even if Adelaide then beat us) and we just might get to climb another spot or two. We're at least finishing the season off very well, it's a pity it started so poorly but I'm sure there's a lot more confidence within the team now.

Anyone think that Hope is carrying an leg injury?
Doesn't seem to move freely.
She had her knee bandaged the last week after injuring it against Brisbane

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/5dda011396465afe43343dc905c815fb
Hope battled through Saturday’s narrow loss to the unbeaten Brisbane Lions after suffering a knee injury early in the game.

After receiving treatment the star forward returned to the field but appeared hampered by the injury.

How much more exciting would this season be for us if it was a Final 4? The only issues I see with that are that it would add an extra week or two to the season depending on what finals format you used.
l like the idea of a final four, and really what does it matter if there season goes an extra week or two

Remove this Banner Ad

Back