AFLW 2018 - go you Crow girls!

How excited are you to to follow the AFLW in 2018?

• Maximal anticipation, Can't bloody wait - back-to-back, yeah baby!

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Excited and eager to see the girls defend their title!

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Excited enough to see some footy action

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Neutral - likely will watch some games, not bothered if I have other things to do on the day

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Negative Nellie - just can't get any excitement, even if watching girls kicking some balls

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Strongly opposed to AFLW - bring back State of Origin instead..or AFLX..I only want to see men!

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

With the extra two teams and possibly extra three games in 2019 and four more teams in 2020. I hope they increase the size of the list by 2 with 1 Main list and 1 Rookie. 28 Main list and 4 Rookies. Potentially 2 at every on field position.
Improving the midfield should be priority.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ban-upheld-brennan-to-miss-aflw-grand-final-20180320-p4z5ca.html

Ban upheld: Brennan to miss AFLW grand final

Western Bulldogs captain Katie Brennan’s ban has been upheld by the AFL tribunal, meaning she will miss Saturday’s AFLW grand final against the Brisbane Lions. Brennan was visibly emotional as the decision was read out. The tribunal panel of Jason Johnson, Richard Loveridge and Sharelle McMahon took 22 minutes to come to a guilty verdict.
Even after the finding of guilty, Brennan's advocate Sam Norton argued that Brennan's impact in growing women's football made for mitigating circumstances, and that it was an especially cruel blow for her not to play in the game, especially in light of Bob Murphy's absence in the 2016 grand final.
That prompted the panel to again convene to decide whether these were exceptional and compelling circumstances.
This argument was determined by the panel to be irrelevant after they deliberated for a further 20 minutes. Brennan will now miss the decider as well as round one of next season.

Final leaderboard
42 – Chelsea Randall (Adelaide)
42 – Emma Kearney (Western Bulldogs)
35 – Ellie Blackburn (Western Bulldogs)
34 – Kate Lutkins (Brisbane Lions)
32 – Dana Hooker (Fremantle)
31 – Daisy Pearce (Melbourne)
30 – Courtney Gum (GWS)
26 – Kara Donnellan (Fremantle)
26 – Elise O’Dea (Melbourne)
24 – Ebony Antonio (Fremantle)

Wow what a ******* terrible reason Brennan's defence came up with. Can't believe they tried to pull that s**t
Well what other s**t could they have pulled? :)

Congrats to Chelsea Randall. She is the best leader and player in the AFLW this year as far as I'm concerned. Gets a heap of the ball, running back with the flight of the ball on so many occasions, and takes absolutely huge hangers. She is as inspirational as it gets on a footy field!

Wow what a ******* terrible reason Brennan's defence came up with. Can't believe they tried to pull that s**t
I'm sure if it was Daisy Pearce, she might've got off. Regardless, I'm glad the panel didn't fold to those 'exceptional circumstances'

When your Club President is a partner in Gordon Legal.....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-21/dogs-to-appeal-tribunals-brennan-decision

Dogs to appeal Tribunal's Brennan decision

WESTERN Bulldogs captain Katie Brennan is exhausting all options to play in Saturday’s NAB AFL Women's Grand Final, taking her two-match suspension to the AFL Appeals Board. It is believed the Bulldogs will argue that if Brennan were playing in the men's competition, her two rough conduct charges would result only in a fine. The bid to clear the star forward will be held on Thursday afternoon, to avoid a clash with the AFL season opener between Richmond and Carlton.
Under AFL regulations, it will cost the Western Bulldogs $5000, with $2500 refundable in the event of a successful appeal.
The initial one-match ban was upgraded to two matches following the failed Tribunal appearance on Tuesday night and Brennan stands to also miss round one of 2019 if she is unsuccessful. Brennan's second offence came in Saturday night's win over Melbourne, where she was found to have carelessly driven Demon Harriet Cordner's head into the ground with a dangerous tackle.
She was reprimanded for a dangerous tackle on Fremantle's Stephanie Cain in round one.
Lawyers worked into the early hours of Wednesday morning determining whether to challenge after the Tribunal appeal was thrown out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DYztCexVMAAgBcx.jpg:large

I cannot think of another player that embodies everything I admire in an AFL player ... male or female.

I'd like Chelsea to spend some time with our men's squad to show a few of them what achieving your potential looks like.

Absolute gun.

I cannot think of another player that embodies everything I admire in an AFL player ... male or female.

I'd like Chelsea to spend some time with our men's squad to show a few of them what achieving your potential looks like.

Absolute gun.
Absolutely agree with you in the response above. She embodies the talent of football AND the heart of achieving/playing to your potential.
A player any Crows fan should be proud of, whether you're into the AFLW or not.
Honestly, if every player plays the way Chelsea does, then I won't ever have a team to hate!

Absolute gun.

She is incredibly positive on the field as well and you could see how much of a loss she was in the second half of the game on Sunday. She focuses the team so well on the things we can do well and not to dwell on the negative during games.

When your Club President is a partner in Gordon Legal.....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-21/dogs-to-appeal-tribunals-brennan-decision

Dogs to appeal Tribunal's Brennan decision

The fact that there are some slightly different penalities in the AFLW than in the Men's should make this be thrown out. The AFL has already ascertained that there are differences between the two leagues - especially in light of what they constitute as 'high contact' which includes the chest area on women, but that is not high in the AFL.

The fact that there are some slightly different penalities in the AFLW than in the Men's should make this be thrown out. The AFL has already ascertained that there are differences between the two leagues - especially in light of what they constitute as 'high contact' which includes the chest area on women, but that is not high in the AFL.
Agree that there should be differences set in the rulings/penalties for AFL vs AFLW. The obvious being that one game suspension in AFLW is the equivalent to a 3 game suspension in AFL (7 weeks minor rounds vs 22 weeks minor rounds). However, once you start the season, you can't change the rules to create more loopholes for any player. You play abiding by the rules during the season. If it's unfair or needs modifications, then rule changes should occur in the offseason.

Agree that there should be differences set in the rulings/penalties for AFL vs AFLW. The obvious being that one game suspension in AFLW is the equivalent to a 3 game suspension in AFL (7 weeks minor rounds vs 22 weeks minor rounds). However, once you start the season, you can't change the rules to create more loopholes for any player. You play abiding by the rules during the season. If it's unfair or needs modifications, then rule changes should occur in the offseason.

What I don't get is the men have a 3 strikes for reportable offences, but the women's is 2.

Back