AFLW 2018 - go you Crow girls!

How excited are you to to follow the AFLW in 2018?

• Maximal anticipation, Can't bloody wait - back-to-back, yeah baby!

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Excited and eager to see the girls defend their title!

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Excited enough to see some footy action

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Neutral - likely will watch some games, not bothered if I have other things to do on the day

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Negative Nellie - just can't get any excitement, even if watching girls kicking some balls

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Strongly opposed to AFLW - bring back State of Origin instead..or AFLX..I only want to see men!

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question - why the hell aren't Channel 7 and the AFL using Erin Phillips in the pre-season promos? She's clearly the most coveted player in the league and would easily be the most marketable and recognisable player if used in promos. Yet, we have Daisy flippin' Pearce again, plus some Carlton ring-ins.

Does she not want to do them?
I think at this point the AFL has put all their eggs in the Daisy Pearce Basket as 'The Face' and are probably as contractually obligated to her as she is to them.

I don't think they ever expected Erin Phillips to come in a be twice as good as anyone in the competition including their golden girl! If they did you can be damn sure they would have worked harder to put her into a VIC based team.

I think at this point the AFL has put all their eggs in the Daisy Pearce Basket as 'The Face' and are probably as contractually obligated to her as she is to them.
There's a fivehead joke in there somewhere

I don't think they ever expected Erin Phillips to come in a be twice as good as anyone in the competition including their golden girl! If they did you can be damn sure they would have worked harder to put her into a VIC based team.

Collingwood tried that for this season, trying to use the 'play for the same team your dad did' scenario and giving her marquee money. We had already told Gibson she was being removed as a marquee player and dropping back to the same salary as the majority of the team and replacing her with Erin as the marquee player along with Chelsea. Gibson then was promised the marquee salary at Freo so she headed home. Considering how little money is actually available to these players for the time commitment they have to make and the work sacrifices, it wasn't a surprise to me that Kellie headed back home.

Erin is loyal though, so she shut down the Collingwood offer fairly quickly, plus she has a lot of family support for helping with the twins that would be missing in Melbourne. Erin also had no idea what her money was as a rookie, as she just wanted to play and she loves the team and the girls and how welcoming and helpful the club was to her.

Collingwood tried that for this season, trying to use the 'play for the same team your dad did' scenario and giving her marquee money. We had already told Gibson she was being removed as a marquee player and dropping back to the same salary as the majority of the team and replacing her with Erin as the marquee player along with Chelsea. Gibson then was promised the marquee salary at Freo so she headed home. Considering how little money is actually available to these players for the time commitment they have to make and the work sacrifices, it wasn't a surprise to me that Kellie headed back home.

Erin is loyal though, so she shut down the Collingwood offer fairly quickly, plus she has a lot of family support for helping with the twins that would be missing in Melbourne. Erin also had no idea what her money was as a rookie, as she just wanted to play and she loves the team and the girls and how welcoming and helpful the club was to her.
I like Gibson, but watching her last year she seemed like a bit of a flash in a pan player. Exciting for a few plays a game, then went missing for long periods of time. Erin Phillips on the other hand is this best player in that comp (followed by daylight) and absolutely deserves to be on $$ that represents that. Very happy the Crows made the switch.

I'd seriously be interested in seeing her to play in the men's SANFL side to see how she goes against more competition. I wouldn't be surprised to see her towel up a few of the men.

I like Gibson, but watching her last year she seemed like a bit of a flash in a pan player. Exciting for a few plays a game, then went missing for long periods of time. Erin Phillips on the other hand is this best player in that comp (followed by daylight) and absolutely deserves to be on $$ that represents that. Very happy the Crows made the switch.

I'd seriously be interested in seeing her to play in the men's SANFL side to see how she goes against more competition. I wouldn't be surprised to see her towel up a few of the men.
Gibson is only 21 though - still got some development to do.

While I'm here I want to make a comment. Its a minor one but I feel it should be said

Why the title like that? Would we make a season thread with the title ' AFL - Go You Crow Boys'
Not sure what the grievance is.
Would you prefer AFLW - go Crows!...?
Or maybe AFLW - go you Crow strong-bodied females!...?
AFLW - go, just go!...?

Not sure what the grievance is.
Would you prefer AFLW - go Crows!...?
Or maybe AFLW - go you Crow strong-bodied females!...?
AFLW - go, just go!...?
I feel it's sexist.

I have already stated my preference. Knickers knotted

Gibson is only 21 though - still got some development to do.
I'll give it to her she's super athletic and seemed to have some nice skills on the occasions she had the ball, but is that enough to be a marquee player? Probably not, nothing against her, I just don't think her skill set is that unique.

Finding the next echelon is where it gets hard. The natural footballers who change games for their teams. They to me are the cream, and it might take 5-10 years to find someone who can play better then #13 was last season.

I'll give it to her she's super athletic and seemed to have some nice skills on the occasions she had the ball, but is that enough to be a marquee player? Probably not, nothing against her, I just don't think her skill set is that unique.

Finding the next echelon is where it gets hard. The natural footballers who change games for their teams. They to me are the cream, and it might take 5-10 years to find someone who can play better then #13 was last season.

And this year she's even fitter than she was last year... That woman can do almost anything.

On Kellie, which Coopers said she is still young. Yes she is, but she has been playing the game for a while and needs more consistency in her game and to not be so susceptible to targeting by the opposition. Freo went after her from the first bounce last year - in a way that completely disgusted the rest of our team. The poise our players showed in not getting too stuck in but protecting Kellie when they could was great.

Anyone has a favorite yet for the Crows AFLW? I think everyone has to love Phillips for what she has done for the Crows, and the female league in general. Super silky skills and aggression to go with it!
Who would be the next popular 2 or 3 players after Phillips?
Probably my next 3 faves are:
- Perkins - great character and can roost a football.
- Randall - tackling beast, love her aggression.
- Marinoff - possession beast, and love her bubbly nature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I go Perkins, Phillips, McCormick as my top three favs in that order. For once it's all forwards and not a defender to be seen! Metcalfe only just misses out on a spot in the top three.
McCormick is an interesting one. She's got great ground skills being a soccer convert. I just haven't seen her do any speccys/marks, so if she can improve her aerial contests, it will make her really dangerous as a forward.

McCormick is an interesting one. She's got great ground skills being a soccer convert. I just haven't seen her do any speccys/marks, so if she can improve her aerial contests, it will make her really dangerous as a forward.
Watch her create space for either herself or her teammates. She is brilliant at that. You can see it in Wallace’s goal from the weekend. She’s more a small forward type who uses physicality so doesn’t have to display those skills.

My favourite player is Stevie-Lee Thompson. She just didn’t seem to ever lose a contest. It would be easy tio stay an Erin or a Tex Perkins or a Randell but Stevie Lee just won ever battle.

My favourite player is Stevie-Lee Thompson. She just didn’t seem to ever lose a contest. It would be easy tio stay an Erin or a Tex Perkins or a Randell but Stevie Lee just won ever battle.
Yes, she's great. I think our defense is quite strong overall with the likes of Randall, Cramey, Foley and Thompson. These are all natural footballers with clean skills.

Back