Official Club Stuff AFLW 2018 Practice Matches - Crows/Freo game stream link in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Collingwood v Melbourne
  • Friday, January 19th
  • Olympic Park, Melbourne
  • Game start: 7.30pm
  • Entry: Free
  • Girls Play Footy Radio will be there to call the match and give full analysis of each team
Western Bulldogs v Carlton
  • Saturday, January 20
  • Mars Stadium, Ballarat
  • Bouncedown: 7pm
  • Gates open: 6pm
  • Free Entry
  • GPF Radio may also be on hand to call the Western Bulldogs-Carlton game in Ballarat, which is to be confirmed in the coming days.
GWS v Brisbane
  • Saturday, January 20.
  • Gates open at 9.30am
  • Game to start at 10am.
  • WestConnex Centre, 1 Olympic Boulevard, Sydney Olympic Park.
  • Free Entry
Adelaide v Fremantle

Last edited:

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Collingwood V Melbourne
  • Friday, January 19.
  • Olympic Park Oval, Olympic Blvd, Melbourne
  • Gates Open ???
  • Game to start at ???
  • Free Entry
That is as much info I've been able to find online. I can only presume a 7pm start.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Collingwood V Melbourne
  • Friday, January 19.
  • Olympic Park Oval, Olympic Blvd, Melbourne
  • Gates Open ???
  • Game to start at ???
  • Free Entry
That is as much info I've been able to find online. I can only presume a 7pm start.

Gates... always open (no gate).
Game to start at 7.35pm - saw one of the Pies fans tweet it.

Two practices might be streamed this weekend. Green light given for one, waiting to hear on the other.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
WITH less than three weeks to go until the start of the second season of the NAB AFL Women's competition, teams will take to the field for the first time in an official capacity this weekend.

Although some teams have already played scratch matches against state league and academy squads over summer, every side will have a formal practice match before the season gets underway on Friday, February 2.

Collingwood and Melbourne kick off proceedings on Friday night at the Holden Centre across from the MCG, while fellow Victorian sides Western Bulldogs and Carlton will make the trek to Mars Stadium in Ballarat, west of Melbourne, for their match on Saturday evening.

The Blues have said all 11 of their new players – including recruits Nicola Stevens (from Collingwood) and Tayla Harris (Brisbane Lions), and all draftees and rookies – will take part in the match.

Greater Western Sydney will host the Brisbane Lions at its training ground, WestConnex Centre at Sydney Olympic Park, on Saturday morning.

Premier Adelaide will incorporate its practice game against Fremantle (in Darwin at TIO Stadium on Saturday night) into a training camp at the team's second base.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-15/aflw-wrap-practice-matches-to-kick-off

Definitely heading to the Pies v Dees, should be good as I expect Melbourne to have improved dramatically and I want to see how Molloy goes now that she's on 'the big stage'
Give us your thoughts when you get back mate

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I attended Coll. v. Melb. practice match.
A very hot day in Melb., during day c. 38 deg. -possibly explaining the very poor crowd of c. 500?, although became probably c.23 deg. after half time. There were virtually no mainstream media ads or write-ups of this match in Melb.(nor for tomorrow's Footscray match at Eureka Stadium, Ballarat). Last year's practice match crowd, Coll. v. Footscray at Oly. Park also, had a c. 1800 crowd, IIRC.

Game was a good spectacle & high scoring, despite the flooding - 7.4 to 6.7, Coll. winning, & kicked the last 5 goals. Heavy hits & tackles, as usual. Big flocks of seagulls were a very annoying distraction. The Coll. song was not played at the end -disappointing for their fans, & others.

Importantly, skills have noticeably increased, cf 2017, for the bottom 5 players. Also, overall, kicking has improved, better link-up play.
This bodes well for the AFLW. I am very confident the AFLW season proper will again attract very good crowds & ratings (when not played concurrently with the AFL). It is great watching football in balmy conditions -but not over 28 deg.

30,000 tickets have been sold for stand alone AFLW Freo. V. Coll. at PS in Rd 2 -over 50,000 are expected to attend. Probably a H & A world record for a women's regular comp. match, for any female sport (excluding international matches, or female matches combined with men's matches). Why aren't the AFL heavily promoting this possible world record!?

EDIT:

As the AFLW will almost certainly be played always in the heat of summer, the sweat in eyes/slippery hands/loss of concentration will reduce AFLW player skill levels -but coaches are still adopting ugly/scrappy heavy running/flooding tactics. This constant running in the heat exacerbates the heat/loss of skill problems. To assist in promoting the AFLW as much as possible, the AFL should introduce rule changes to have a more traditional/positional open game.

Also, Moana Hope once had a solid figure -she is quite slim now. I assume that her disappointing year in 2017 (where she was probably the main marquee -as a top goal kicker- for the AFLW) is responsible.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
I also attended the match last night.
It was obviously a very hot day but that didn't seem to deter the fans as there were still around 500-600 in attendance. I arrived an hour early to get a good spot and from then it was obvious Melbourne were more switched on and prepared, they had everyone warming up outside with just some short kicks, while the only Collingwood player outside was Britany Bonnici, who didn't play due to an ankle complaint. Just something a little off topic here but the support from Collingwood fans was amazing, say what you will about them and the stereotype that's been created but they're easily number 1 for support across both comps.

The first quarter was fairly even as both teams attempted to find their grove. Collingwood's midfield problems have been well documented since the beginning of the comp but it was really obvious that the pies were struggling in the middle of the park despite ruck dominance. There were passages were Collingwood dominated play and it was fairly smooth but Melbournes pressure forced mistakes and led them to take the lead into Quarter Time.

The second quarter was all Melbourne, they were more structured and organized, everyone knew what they needed to do and Collingwood really cracked. Melissa Hickey had a noteworthy quarter getting a couple of tackles and asserting herself as the strongest mid on the ground. Interesting point for me was Collingwood's forward line structure when King was in the ruck, seemed Molloy was playing far up the ground and Garner was a more traditional CHF while new recruit Eliza Hynes was at FF.

I left at halftime to get home for bed but from one of my friends that were there, he said that Collingwood just clicked, it was almost like a different team in the second half

Noteworthy performances:
Collingwood: 1. Caitlyn Edwards, 38. Amelia Barden, 60. Emma King, 25. Meg Hutchins
Melbourne: 18. Melissa Hickey, 5. Elise O'Dea, 29. Eden Zancker, 2. Meg Downie

Other things I thought are worth noting:
Meg Hutchins spent more time in the forward line for the Pies than in defence, most likely just a trial for preseason but she did surprisingly well

Chloe Molloy played more as a midfielder and was shown not to be a powerful runner, but also showed she's a smart footballer

Melbourne's skills aren't as good as last year and seem to be relying on a high pressure, contested game to force opposition to make mistakes.

Melbourne's forward line is looking VERY strong, their conversation was average, if they can fix that they'll be the scariest team to face

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
GWS def. Brisbane 75 -26 points this morning at Syd. Oly.Park. The game played over 5 "qtrs", had an extra 15 mins. final "qtr" -GWS kicked 5 goals.

It is very pleasing to see the high scoring -which indicates average kicking & general skills are improving! Possibly the bottom 5 players are also more skilled & more fit. I haven't seen any vision of this game.

Incidentally, I hope the brutal tackle that gave Coll. D.Guttridge a broken collarbone in last night's game against Melb. is looked at by the AFL. There was a lengthy delay. Broken collarbones indicate significant force was applied in the tackle, & the Umpire signalled a free kick for a high tackle.
She was charging into the Coll. open goal in the last minute of the final qtr, with Coll. down 3 points. There is no place for thuggery in AF, male or female.

I was at the opposite end of the ground, so didn't have a clear view -but it looked like a sling, & Guttridge was butchered.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
GWS def. Brisbane 75 -26 points this morning at Syd. Oly.Park. The game played over 5 "qtrs", had an extra 15 mins. final "qtr" -GWS kicked 5 goals.

It is very pleasing to see the high scoring -which indicates average kicking & general skills are improving! Possibly the bottom 5 players are also more skilled & more fit. I haven't seen any vision of this game.

Incidentally, I hope the brutal tackle that gave Coll. D.Guttridge a broken collarbone in last night's game against Melb. is looked at by the AFL. There was a lengthy delay. Broken collarbones indicate significant force was applied in the tackle, & the Umpire signalled a free kick for a high tackle.
She was charging into the Coll. open goal in the last minute of the final qtr, with Coll. down 3 points. There is no place for thuggery in AF, male or female.
Very happy with our result, Eva looks to be a good get already

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
3qtr time Fremantle 3.6.24 Adelaide 2.4.16. Fremantle pressure been excellent, Adelaide not been allowed free disposal or time on the ball, lot of rushed kicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back