AFLW 2018 - R2 - GWS v Carlton, Fri 6:35pm, Drummoyne Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Only saw the last quarter, but i thought the overhead marking was exceptional given the conditions, and a big step up from last year.

Pies did the same. We have a very good defence.

It didn’t help with some of the panicked kicks into our F50, our players need to spend a bit more time with the ball at half forward.

But from how I see it, youse guys also got a bit luckier with the ump, you’ll have to concede that at least. I thought the guy just had a nervous twitch in his arm, with the way it always flung up like a boom gate and pointed towards the GWS goals. Just personally, I think the ump was just making up free kicks for Carlton as the game went on.

It didn’t help with some of the panicked kicks into our F50, our players need to spend a bit more time with the ball at half forward.

But from how I see it, youse guys also got a bit luckier with the ump, you’ll have to concede that at least. I thought the guy just had a nervous twitch in his arm, with the way it always flung up like a boom gate and pointed towards the GWS goals. Just personally, I think the ump was just making up free kicks for Carlton as the game went on.

In the eye of the beholder. Our board was going off at the umps especially early in the game.

In the eye of the beholder. Our board was going off at the umps especially early in the game.

Nup, as soon as one of your guys hit the ground the umpy would blow his whistle and point, faster than a Japanese bullet train conductor, but when one of our guys had to have their head sewn back on after a clothesline the umpy’s arms remained at his side like an Irish folk dancer.

Nup, as soon as one of your guys hit the ground the umpy would blow his whistle and point, faster than a Japanese bullet train conductor, but when one of our guys had to have their head sewn back on after a clothesline the umpy’s arms remained at his side like an Irish folk dancer.

We can agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can agree to disagree.

There’s that, but look at it from my perspective, GWS is in front, lightning strikes, umpires call it in, game recommences and Carlton wi... w... kick more points than the opposition team that may or may not be described as The Giants. Coincidence? I personally think not.

There’s that, but look at it from my perspective, GWS is in front, lightning strikes, umpires call it in, game recommences and Carlton wi... w... kick more points than the opposition team that may or may not be described as The Giants. Coincidence? I personally think not.

Are you saying the umpires used the weather break to conspire against the Giants?

Are you saying the umpires used the weather break to conspire against the Giants?

No, but... it does seem odd that the Giants had the game done and dusted, I literally had just chalked it up for a win for The Giants, then suddenly a storm hits... and you know what they say about the odds of lightning striking...

AND, is there anyone here who actually comes from Drummoyne? I did some research and found that Drummoyne is ranked 253rd best suburb in Sydney https://www.homely.com.au/drummoyne-canada-bay-sydney-greater-new-south-wales
which is surprising given that I didn’t think that there were that many suburbs in Sydney(?), and I could not find any luminaries, or anything significant that actually has occurred in Drummoyne, except for property on sale. Nothing.

And then all of a sudden, on an innocuous Friday night, there lightning bolts hitting the ground and all kinds of weird s**t going on.

Something doesn’t add up...

No, but... it does seem odd that the Giants had the game done and dusted, I literally had just chalked it up for a win for The Giants
You called a game done and dusted and chalked up a win when GWS had kicked 1 goal?

GWS led the free kick count at quarter time 7-3 or something, it evened up at halftime when I checked the aflw app again, someone somewhere probably has quarter by quarter stats breakdowns.

Anyway, it was a pretty hard fought game, certainly an odd game which won't be forgotten for quite some time.

If it had been dry I think based on the round 1 results GWS would have been very formidable.

Now I wouldn’t go as far as claiming there was a rip in the space-time continuum, I wouldn’t claim the AFL umpires association, or similar organisation, possesses that kind of power, but in a place where, from my research, the most exciting thing is a house selling above the reserve, everything above a fly shatting on a white stuccoed wall would be considered “weird s**t”.

You called a game done and dusted and chalked up a win when GWS had kicked 1 goal?

GWS led the free kick count at quarter time 7-3 or something, it evened up at halftime when I checked the aflw app again, someone somewhere probably has quarter by quarter stats breakdowns.

Anyway, it was a pretty hard fought game, certainly an odd game which won't be forgotten for quite some time.

If it had been dry I think based on the round 1 results GWS would have been very formidable.

Yep, I definitely agree with your latter sentiments.

But, in my opinion, and using advanced combinatorics, the odds of the series of events that led to The Giants downfall last night was beyond that which should have been considered at Drummoyne Oval. Say if you take New York City, apparently lightning strikes the Empire State Building like, nearly 30 times per year, because IMO New York City has a lot going down, so it is the expectation. But Drummoyne Oval? I modelled a series of scenarios based on data (events which have happened in the 253rd best suburb of Sydney) and found that on average, and in certain favourable weather conditions, Drummoyne shouldn’t ever get anything above a zephyr... then suddenly, out of nowhere, lightning is striking the ground...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back