AFLW AFLW 2018 - R5 - What did you like, learn or hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Courtney Gum, teams that play rubbish footy getting beaten (in one case, thrashed) by teams that play good footy.

Learned/hated: The AFL established a women's competition. Good thing. Spruik it as the premier women's competition. Good thing. Insult the players in the elite competition by giving them inexperienced umpires so those umpires can gain experience. Not a good thing. Inexperienced umpires can gain just as much experience umpiring D4 amo practice games. Why are the best female players not being umpired by the best umpires?

Really, really hated: No AFLW game in Melbourne.

Last edited:

Liked: Courtney Gum, teams that play rubbish footy getting beaten (in one case, thrashed) by teams that play good footy.

Learned/hated: The AFL established a women's competition. Good thing. Spruik it as the premier women's competition. Good thing. Insult the players in the elite competition by giving them inexperienced umpires so those umpires can gain experience. Not a good thing. Inexperienced umpires can gain just as much experience umpiring D4 amo practice games. Why are the best female players not being umpired by the best umpires?

Really, really hated: No AFLW game in Melbourne.

Which umpires are these? The ones that umpire AFL? If you want the best then maybe we get AFL players to play instead of these cruddy womens footballers.

Its like me playing division 3 reserves footy in local footy and complaining I get s**t umpires - deal with it. A lot of crappy womens footballers playing AFLW, and maybe the women's footballers will get better in time, along with the players playing the game.

Which umpires are these? The ones that umpire AFL? If you want the best then maybe we get AFL players to play instead of these cruddy womens footballers.

Its like me playing division 3 reserves footy in local footy and complaining I get s**t umpires - deal with it. A lot of crappy womens footballers playing AFLW, and maybe the women's footballers will get better in time, along with the players playing the game.
What a strange argument for poor umpiring. It isn't the same issue as the players.
It's not as if good umpires are too busy doing other umpiring things at this time of year. This is a televised flagship event, having the best umpires who can make the game flow should be a no brainer.

What a strange argument for poor umpiring. It isn't the same issue as the players.
It's not as if good umpires are too busy doing other umpiring things at this time of year. This is a televised flagship event, having the best umpires who can make the game flow should be a no brainer.

Having players who can make the game flow would be a no-brainer as well.....

Having players who can make the game flow would be a no-brainer as well.....
But fixing the umpires issue can be done overnight, better players will take a few years. They are exclusive strategies.

Why not pick the low hanging fruit whilst its there?

$$$ probably. Top umpires cost money, and you don't want to risk injury in a peripheral competition. I can't think of any other reason to have a boundary who has to come in five metres for a throw-in (which appalled me at the Bulldogs game I went to, I'm all for pathways and giving people a go but really???).

I’d rather they upped the umpires from c grade guys to b grade guys.
Give it to those established in the state league comps who’s next step will be afl.
Rather than those trying to become state league umpires.

Give them afl feedback on what they need to take the next step.

That’s an umpires persepctive.
Heck, I’d nearly rather they actually put d grade guys in. D grade are those who didn’t have the fitness and commitments to do the running side of things to take that next step. But they Generally have a better feel for the game as they’ve been in the system longer.

Hated: The timing. Granny should have been this week. Apparently it's a 7 issue, as most things are.

Loved: Katie Brennan's suspension. On behalf of Mo Hope, and all Magpie fans who listened to Katie's commentary on SEN last year, I've got one thing to say: karma's a bitch. Enjoy watching the granny from the outer. For those who don't recall, Katie thought that if 'Mo concentrated more on footy instead of going down media street, she'd play better'. Well guess what. If Katie concentrated on footy instead of throwing her weight around, she might be playing in the grand final next week.

Hated: The timing. Granny should have been this week. Apparently it's a 7 issue, as most things are.

Loved: Katie Brennan's suspension. On behalf of Mo Hope, and all Magpie fans who listened to Katie's commentary on SEN last year, I've got one thing to say: karma's a bitch. Enjoy watching the granny from the outer. For those who don't recall, Katie thought that if 'Mo concentrated more on footy instead of going down media street, she'd play better'. Well guess what. If Katie concentrated on footy instead of throwing her weight around, she might be playing in the grand final next week.

Isn't "throwing her weight around" precisely what a big forward is supposed to do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back