Preview AFLW 2018 R6 v Bris Lions (Saturday, 10th Mar, 4.30pm (EDT), 3.30pm (EST) @ Morton Bay SC)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW - R6 | BRISBANE LIONS vs COLLINGWOOD

DATE: Saturday 10th March
GATES OPEN:
FIRST BOUNCE:
3.30pm (EST - Qld), 4.30pm (EDT - Vic)
WHERE: Morton Bay Central Sports Centre (Qld)
ADMISSION: Free entry
TICKETING INFO:

PARKING:
PUBLIC TRANSPORT:

TV: http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/broadcastguide
Live on: Fox, AFL app (no free to air this week)

CLUB INFO:

LAST TIME:
2017 Round 3 - South Pine Sports Complex

http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/match-centre?matchid=100640302&competitionid=10064

BRISBANE 4.3 (27)
COLLINGWOOD 3.5 (23)

PREVIEW:
This week's game takes us 30km north of Brisbane to Burpengary in what will also be the lions first game away from their regular AFLW home of South Pines SC.

Our performances have improved both individually and as a group as the year has progressed with another promising display ensuring against the 'dogs in a more open free flowing match. Against WB I thought Hutchins was smart as second ruck directing her taps well, Hope again lively, Lambert had a good first half and McIntosh done a great defensive job as a small back. Some mistakes aside Duffin and Garner showed enough in defence to suggest getting classy ball users behind the ball maybe a winning formula for 2019. Unfortunately though given we weren't able to come away from Moe with the points means like last season we've left our run too late. What our club wouldn't do for a longer season.

There's still more than enough to play for though particularly given we look odds on to claim the spoon with two tough matches remaining. Although it wouldn't guarantee it winning our next two would just about ensure we avoid finishing last given our superior percentage. We almost (and should have) upset the then unbeaten lions last year, and we've certainly progressed as a side since then. Our best chance however maybe the crows in round 7 especially if they're out of grand final contention and elect to rest Phillips. Avoiding any more suspensions would go a long way too. Six founded reports (D'Arcy, Ross, Casey, Tesoriero, Chiocci, Bonnici) in just six rounds isn't something to be proud of and it's something we need to work on regardless of provocation, frustration or over eagerness.

The other aspect is trialling the likes of Brazill, Parker and Stratton to see if they're up to the grade so it's pleasing to see they've been given a chance to show their wares. Parker and Stratton in particular are likely playing for a spot in 2019. Good luck to our 3 debutants; hopefully it's a cracking match.

TEAMS:

COLLINGWOOD

B: Emma Grant 5, Jess Duffin 27, Ash Brazill 10
HB: Chloe Molloy 2, Cecilia McIntosh 20, Ruby Schleicher 18
C: Kristy Stratton 41
HF: Sarah D’Arcy 4, Jasmine Garner 43, Christina Bernardi 6
F: Meg Hutchins 25, Moana Hope 25, Caitlyn Edwards 1
Foll: Emma King 60, Jaimee Lambert 13, Brittany Bonnici 8
I/C: Georgie Parker 19, Tara Morgan 26, Lauren Tesoriero 7, Amelia Barden 38, Melissa Kuys 9

Emg: Holly Whitford 28, Sarah Dargan 46

IN: Ash Brazill, Georgie Parker, Kristy Stratton, Tara Morgan
OUT: Stephanie Chiocci (susp.), Holly Whitford, Sarah Dargan, Iilish Ross (foot)

New: Brazill, Parker, Stratton

BRISBANE

B: B.Koenen 3, K.Lutkins 13, S.Campbell 20
HB: N.Exon 15, I.Ayre 2, L.Kaslar 11
C: E.Bates 1
HF: S.Conway 12, T.Randall 16, E.Zielke 8
F: J.Wuetschner 23, S.Frederick-Traub 14, K.Ashmore 10
Foll: S.Webb 4, J.Stanton 17, A.Anderson 18
I/C: B.Gibson 25, K.McCarthy 9, A.Clarke 21, E.Pittman 29, M.Hunt 6

Emg: J.Zanchetta 7, G.Collingwood 28

IN: S.Conway, E.Pittman, M.Hunt
OUT: N.Hildebrand (injured), G.Collingwood (omitted), J.Zanchetta (omitted)

Last edited:
Are we allergic to playing in Melbourne? Just somewhere in the wider metropolitan area would do. I've given up all hope for Vic Park.:'(

Sadly. I highly doubt we play any AFLW at Vic park

Are we allergic to playing in Melbourne? Just somewhere in the wider metropolitan area would do. I've given up all hope for Vic Park.:'(
Olympic Park next week for our third and final Melbourne metro match and one of those was at Princess Park.

I'm surprised they didn't mix the fixture up more this season - for example we've played Freo/BL/GWS interstate in both 2017 and '18. Likewise we've hosted GWS and Adelaide in Melbourne both years. In fact our only games to switch home status were against WB and Melb.

Vicky I'm too getting a bit peeved

What are we the promotional tool again ( but let's pay lynch promo money ) for nothing

Biggest show in town , come watch collingwood get robbed lol

Umpiring , fixturing and commentary making it very hard to enjoy

Looks like Parker and/or Brazill might be in the frame for this week. Parker's been promoted to the senior list for Casey who's now on the LTI list. Brazill finally back from injury.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2018-03-08/changes-to-aflw-list
That explains why Casey didn't come straight back in last week following her suspension. A bit of a pity about Ross too, tough aggressive defender who's looked okay in recent weeks. Hopefully the stress reaction in her foot doesn't become anything more.

3 debutants leaving Guttridge as the only player yet to play in 2018. Turns out Stratton is another childhood 'pies supporter too making it at least three from the last draft.

B: Emma Grant, Jess Duffin, Ash Brazill
HB: Chloe Molloy, Cecilia McIntosh, Ruby Schleicher
C: Kristy Stratton
HF: Sarah D’Arcy, Jasmine Garner, Christina Bernardi
F: Meg Hutchins, Moana Hope, Caitlyn Edwards
Foll: Emma King, Jaimee Lamberts, Brittany Bonnici
Int: Georgie Parker, Tara Morgan, Lauren Tesoriero, Amelia Barden, Melissa Kuys
Emg: Holly Whitford, Sarah Dargan

OUT: Stephanie Chiocci (susp.), Holly Whitford, Sarah Dargan, Iilish Ross

Also looks like the venue is up to Olympic Park standards
Seating: Limited. Patrons advised to BYO portable chairs

Last edited:
3 debutants. Turns out Stratton is another childhood 'pies supporter too making it at least three from the last draft.

B: Emma Grant, Jess Duffin, Ash Brazill
HB: Chloe Molloy, Cecilia McIntosh, Ruby Schleicher
C: Kristy Stratton
HF: Sarah D’Arcy, Jasmine Garner, Christina Bernardi
F: Meg Hutchins, Moana Hope, Caitlyn Edwards
Foll: Emma King, Jaimee Lamberts, Brittany Bonnici
Int: Georgie Parker, Tara Morgan, Lauren Tesoriero, Amelia Barden, Melissa Kuys
Emg: Holly Whitford, Sarah Dargan

OUT: Stephanie Chiocci (susp.), Holly Whitford, Sarah Dargan, Iilish Ross

Also looks like the venue is up to Olympic Park standards

Massive Outs there.

So we Preparing for the VFLW Season?

Massive Outs there.

So we Preparing for the VFLW Season?
Chiocci is a loss, but otherwise we've replaced 3 first year players with mature aged 3 debutants. How big the outs are will be dependent on how the 3 new women go.

Chiocci is a loss, but otherwise we've replaced 3 first year players with mature aged 3 debutants. How big the outs are will be dependent on how the 3 new women go.

She is a Massive loss and top 3 most Important Players. Struggle to see us Winning without her

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah exactly. Replacing 3 first year players with 3 first year players shouldn't cause us too much pain. Chiocci is a big out but that was forced upon us so we'll do what we can to cover her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back