AFLW 2018 - Round 1 - Carlton v Collingwood, 7.45pm, Fri Feb 2nd, Ikon Park

Acinath

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
National Anthem should be reserved for ANZAC Day and the Grand Final. It's stupidly overplayed in the AFL.

Wrong. National anthem should be played before every major sporting event.

The one thing American sports have down pat is their pre-game stuff. Celebrating people fighting for their country and showing some pride in where they live.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Incorrect. Due to ground availability boys are being moved to ridiculously early Sunday time slots or ridiculously late. Clubs that get girls sides up get so many grants and improved facilities after years of neglect from the AFL, VFL and all football bodies below. Don’t even mention the pathway programs available to young female footballers.

Ground availability is an issue all over the country due to more teams playing on the same days. Congestion and shifting of matches is inevitable.

As for female programs - name me a single boys program that has been canned to make way for the women.

It's going to take time.

The reality is, women's cricket has been around for quite a long time at a semi-pro level, with Australian cricket now fully professional. Women's basketball is as well.

Women's soccer is touch-and-go, but that's because you get plenty of players who are playing for multiple teams as seasons change over. You can only do that because the women's soccer seasons run at different times of the year because they are shorter.

Meanwhile, literally 18 months ago women's footy was entirely amateur. The only 'professional' exposure they got was a week leading up to an exhibition game.

Five years time, with five years of professional training and talent pathways, and the league will look far better.
And there is nothing wrong with that, totally agree that it needs time and with time it'll become better!

But right now there shouldn't be anything wrong with lambasting how poor it looks and how bad they are without being labeled a misogynist or sexist.

There was a Cavs v Heat game on the other day in Men's Basketball that was labelled one of the worst games of NBA for years, horrible performances left-right and center and no one bats an eye when the players get attacked for how bad they were, but if you attack a poor match of women's football, there is uproar!

Indeed this women's league will expose the physical differences and cognitive prowess of men vs women. They are going to need a smaller ball, definitely a smaller ground and some sort of extra rules to give free-kicks easier so that they get more shots at goal. Feminists are going to be having a cry if rule changes specific to women are even hinted at. It should follow tennis, where women have more time to rest between change overs and only two set games.
They already have rules specific to the AFLW, do they not?

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm in no way a fan of the AFLW, bores me to tears...

BUT

Why are people bagging the commentary? How would they expect to increase viewers, young girls playing, etc if they pot them for poor skills every 4th possession?

Opinions on here are entirely different, but it's a bit silly to think professional commentators would say another negative about the game at the stage it's at.
They dont need to bag them but dont ignore a poor shot for goal. My major gripe id the force it down the throats of 'how good are they', 'these girls are so skilfull' yet we will just ignore someone kicking it out of bouds on the full from 30m on a 45 degree angle

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm in no way a fan of the AFLW, bores me to tears...

BUT

Why are people bagging the commentary? How would they expect to increase viewers, young girls playing, etc if they pot them for poor skills every 4th possession?

Opinions on here are entirely different, but it's a bit silly to think professional commentators would say another negative about the game at the stage it's at.
I didn't think there was much wrong with the commentary, in fact jason bennetts, or whatever his name is, is the best commentator that 7 has. He's way better than their usual suspects, reminds me of past commentators who just called the game and nothing more. Richie Benaud would be proud of him. On the other hand, the girl on special comments was just really awkward. She didn't know what to say, or how to say it and that made it hard to listen to.

Pokep

Team Captain
Apr 10, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rubbish. Young boys football has never lacked for attention. Check the evidence being put out by clubs across the country - they arent stopping work with boys to switch to girls. The girls are always a new addition. Its not an either/or equation in any instance ive seen reported.

What a load of crap. They are giving prime-time to this rubbish over young boys footy, plain and simple. How is this deserving of this time slot on channel 7 and who is losing out? There is always a loser.

This is called political correctness, just to give females "a go" they are trying every trick in the book - media coverage - no umpiring - commentators pretending it was high quality - books being written...garbage.

How about using all these resources productively instead of trying to shoe-horn in this trash? Does footy really look like a female sport to you? Honestly? In this day and age of PC, they are attempting to get women to do everything a man does well, for a reason I can not comprehend. How about women also start working as trash collectors, workers in concreting/labour, build houses etc instead of trying to show everyone they are equal by trying to play "footy". The moment the AFL charges for a ticket, everything will come crashing down.

Acinath

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I didn't think there was much wrong with the commentary, in fact jason bennetts, or whatever his name is, is the best commentator that 7 has. He's way better than their usual suspects, reminds me of past commentators who just called the game and nothing more. Richie Benaud would be proud of him. On the other hand, the girl on special comments was just really awkward. She didn't know what to say, or how to say it and that made it hard to listen to.

I wish Bennett did AFL games. But that's probably an argument for a different topic.

Pali23

All Australian
Nov 6, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ground availability is an issue all over the country due to more teams playing on the same days. Congestion and shifting of matches is inevitable.

As for female programs - name me a single boys program that has been canned to make way for the women.

There are so many more available to young girls. Your club has a girls team you’ll get lights new change rooms gear anything you ask for pretty much.

And there is nothing wrong with that, totally agree that it needs time and with time it'll become better!

But right now there shouldn't be anything wrong with lambasting how poor it looks and how bad they are without being labeled a misogynist or sexist.

There was a Cavs v Heat game on the other day in Men's Basketball that was labelled one of the worst games of NBA for years, horrible performances left-right and center and no one bats an eye when the players get attacked for how bad they were, but if you attack a poor match of women's football, there is uproar!
I think the thing is it's an unfair blasting. You're comparing an NBA game - a top level men's fully professional basketball match - to other top-level b'ball matches.

Whereas this is comparing very raw talent to leagues where guys have been playing for years. Even in the Ammos you have guys that have played footy for 10-15 years, if not since they were kids.

To constantly point out that the standard is poor or the skills are shocking is failing to recognise where they have come from.

In five years, I actually agree with you. But right now, I just don't see it.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Said it before.....how can this continue on prime time TV. 1.5 hours of footy for 36 points to be derived.

I would rather they televised the TAC competition.

All this AFLW league is just political correctness gone wrong.

22 to 14...how can that rubbish be on prime time TV....give us a break
They need to shorten the ground, this is like watching the little league running around, bring the goals up 20 metres each end...

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
And the worst thing the afl could and will do is introduce more teams and dilute the talent that is currently available and will come in the next few years. At best the skill level will plateau when they introduce new teams, when it should be improving with better players coming through if they keep the same number of teams

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Wrong. National anthem should be played before every major sporting event.

The one thing American sports have down pat is their pre-game stuff. Celebrating people fighting for their country and showing some pride in where they live.
Helps when they have a good anthem. Ours is very boring.

What a load of crap. They are giving prime-time to this rubbish over young boys footy, plain and simple. How is this deserving of this time slot on channel 7 and who is losing out? There is always a loser.

It's February. You're losing a night of MKR for crying out loud...so instead of six nights you have it on for five.

Back