AFLW AFLW 2018 - Round 3 - What did you like, learn or hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Erin Phillips, Brilliant. Seeing some very promising first year players. Molloy the best. Mc Williams, Conti also impressive in the games I saw.

Learnt: Teams cannot afford to lose a star player. (eg. Phillips missing frst 2 weeks). Premiership race is wide open.

Hated: Injury to Katie Brennan. Umpiring that refuses to pay holding the ball for 3 quarters and then out of the blue at an important stage will decide to pay one.

Fantastic round of football with 41 goals kicked and every game live until well into the last quarter

Obviously crap as a Collingwood supporter but putting that aside to have the other 7 teams on 1 and 2 wins sets the rest of the season up beautifully.

Peoples opinions on Chloe Molloy?

I reakon she would be easily in front of Collingwoods B+F at this point an quite possibly the compition B+F too

She's an absolute star in the making

Peoples opinions on Chloe Molloy?

I reakon she would be easily in front of Collingwoods B+F at this point an quite possibly the compition B+F too

She's an absolute star in the making

I think she would be leading Collingwood's with perhaps Lambert and Bernardi best chance of beating her

LIKED
. More exciting & skilled play generally across the AFLW, & more goals being kicked.
. Fierce & courageous attack on the ball is a weekly hallmark of the AFLW.
. Seeing so many young girls & women at matches.
. I got my "I Love AFLW" car sticker coupon from page 2 of the 18.2 Sunday H./Sun.

LEARNT
It is not just my fading eyesight failing me at Princes Park when the ball is on the other side of the ground. There is public recognition now the lights are simply not strong enough & not high enough: for spectators to see properly across the other side of the ground; & for players to be always able to judge the flight of high balls when going for overhead marks -without sometimes being blinded by these lights.

HATED
Despite free flowing and high scoring football being included in the AFL Charter (released 2014 by the AFL Commission on AF's most important & inherent features/game style), despite the teams, at AFLW inclusion, agreeing they have a major role in promoting female GR AF & the AFLW, & despite S. Hocking's Memo to remind them of this (inc. a 5-6-5 starting positions at centre ball ups), some teams were not observing the 5-6-5 start. And some Umpires missed the failure.
Also, when the ball is around the 50-60 mtr area from their opponents' goal, some teams are placing additional players in their backline -to reduce scoring.
This abrogates their primary responsibility to the game.
Pathetic!

A.Jeans (& others) said, correctly, in the 70's if there was a clash of interests "All Club officials must place the interests of the game first, then the interests of the Clubs, then the interests of the players. Players will always come and go, the game must be safeguarded for future generations".

Last edited:
I liked that some teams have stopped doing the stupid 1 metre dinky handballs out the back of the pack that continuously get turned over and result in stoppages, and are moving to getting the ball on the boot quickly to clear the congestion and move it downfield at a greater rate, giving them more scoring opportunities. Freo v Melbourne was a good example of this after the first quarter.

Dislike Chloe Molloy being used down back by a team that struggles to score when she's a known goal kicker in the VFLW (2nd highest goal scorer last year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked that some teams have stopped doing the stupid 1 metre dinky handballs out the back of the pack that continuously get turned over and result in stoppages, and are moving to getting the ball on the boot quickly to clear the congestion and move it downfield at a greater rate, giving them more scoring opportunities. Freo v Melbourne was a good example of this after the first quarter.

Dislike Chloe Molloy being used down back by a team that struggles to score when she's a known goal kicker in the VFLW (2nd highest goal scorer last year).
Molloy was great in defence though.Kind of the same argument as McGovern or Mills in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back