AFLW 2019 Round 5, Sat 2 - Sun 3 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty to think about there for North Melbourne, particularly from about the 7min mark in Q3 onwards. It's always a red alert when you see the lateral/45 pass disappearing from a team's repertoire. Repeated forays up the line instead is just asking for trouble, especially if the opposition is able to take it out clean to the other side and counter.

Amazingly consistent three weeks from Adelaide, really got their best 18 figured out and firing I reckon (with the exception of Cramey) which leaves a good level of competition for spots between McCormick and Riley etc.

"Fremantle will have a pep in their step after this result." Why? Just made it harder for them to get into the top 2, really. And I doubt they've been sitting around the TV watching!

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs at Fremantle Oval, 3.05pm AWST

FREMANTLE

B: E.Gooch 8, T.Bresland 5, A.Stannett 24
HB: A.Williams 9, E.Antonio 12, K.Donnellan (c) 15
C: P.Seth 18
HF: G.Houghton 27, A.Sharp 1, H.Miller 19
F: K.Bowers 2, K.Gibson 21, S.Duffy 6
Foll: P.Laurie 11, D.Hooker 17, S.Cain 20
I/C: L.Pugh 32, G.O'Sullivan 22, M.Sergeant 23, M.Caulfield 10, A.Janz 30
Emerg: L.Mascall 14, K.Grieve 13

In: H.Miller, A.Janz, M.Sergeant
Out: K.Grieve, A.Atkins, C.Stubbs

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: H.Scott 22, L.Spark 11, L.Birch 18
HB: S.Karlson 26, T.Ernst 19, A.Utri 23
C: K.Lamb 27
HF: B.Lochland 1, E.Gamble 14, K.McLeod 6
F: A.McCarthy 15, I.Huntington 4, K.Brennan (c) 3
Foll: K.Rennie 24, E.Blackburn 2 (c), M.Conti 8
I/C: E.Brown 9, N.Ferres 16, A.Gogos 36, E.Mackie 25, D.Berry 7
Emerg: K.Bartlett 20, N.Callinan 10

In: B.Lochland, I.Huntington, E.Brown
Out: N.Callinan, B.Toogood, C.Moody

Very interested to see what each of the inclusions can bring (especially regarding the Bulldogs' forward line), and how quickly they can get back up to speed. Game as a whole off to a bit of a slow start though.

She's a spicy battle now, well and truly up for grabs.

Conti with three kicks and Hannah Scott with three disposals of any kind, might be banging on a bit about them recently but it's too hard to ignore, both having real weird 2019 campaigns.

Bad luck Doggies, liked the work rate today, different story if they brought that energy level last week. Downside is it only goes so far when just about every player (freshmen and maybe one or two lockdown defenders withstanding) isn't at the top of their game, be it marginal or vast. Fitness, confidence and just a few players not kicking on like anybody would've hoped--perhaps most notably the absent Toogood--making wins on the road against quality (and accurate) teams too big an ask.

Freo put the afterburners on when they needed to, not without a few last-quarter brainfades when it looked as if they might blow it. Couple more goals in the same area from Duffy and she'll inherit that pocket Betts-style. Bowers ticking along from a good to now very good season, yahear AA selectors.

Ladder with two home-and-away weeks to go:
AFLW2019LadderRound5_zpsuqsc9cjc.png

Was a round to shake up the doubters, whether you figured Geelong as a serious finals contender was fake news (raises hand) or that North Melbourne would dominate and ruin the competition (glares). Round 7 between Freo and North looming larger and larger on the calendar, Melbourne vs an upside-down Adelaide possibly huge too even if the Giants don't pull off something special next week. And Conference B, I don't know, but Carlton have been the most entertaining of the lot so I'll verrrry quietly cheer them on to top spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back