Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW 2020 Round 1
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Round 1 - GWSW v GCSW

AFLW Rd 1 GWS team.PNG

AFLW Rd 1 - GWSW v GCSW.PNG

Very difficult conditions, hence the scoreline. A hard slog - Giants had a huge advantage in I50s, but kicked poorly and Gold Coast defended and scrapped valiantly.

Our best for mine - Eva & Parker in the contest, Privetelli about the only Giant who could mark in the conditions but couldn't kick, Cora Staunton very strong up front after recovering from her horrendous broken leg.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I didn’t watch the game. That score line isn’t going to help grow the sport though, maybe making the fields smaller would assist?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Weather was absolutely atrocious, amazed that a game was played and people were watching.

Only reason I was outside was I was being paid.

Good fight from the Giants girls to get over the line and win for the 1st time in round 1.

Let’s remember that the cricket has been canned and the A-League Sydney Derby was also postponed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
I didn’t watch the game. That score line isn’t going to help grow the sport though, maybe making the fields smaller would assist?

Nah,
Smaller field wouldn’t have helped. Horrendous conditions. I was sitting in the grandstand and getting soaked through. The rain was coming in sideways.

Not as bad as Drummoyne has been the last couple of years but still....

Skills weren’t great, but the weather had most to do with that. Couple of really nice marks taken though. Some nice passages of play, occasional end to end stuff, but mostly tough, down and dirty scrap. Despite the score line I was still entertained - and wet. I was very wet.

AFLW 2020 Round 2
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
NORTH MELBOURNE v GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
3.10pm AEDT, Saturday, February 15
University of Tasmania Stadium, Launceston, Tas

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
P.Randall 21 T.Hetherington 9
HB: R.Beeson 6 L.Stephenson 12 A.Lister 14
C: E.Bennetts 22 A.Eva - C 2 N.Barr 8
HF: H.Zreika 24 C.Staunton 13 J.Hicks 5
F: R.Privitelli 19 I.Nielsen 25
Foll: E.McKinnon 23 J.Dal Pos 7 A.Parker 3
I/C: Y.Bonner 27 L.Steane 20 J.Allan 39 A.Schmidt 11 B.Tully 36
Emerg: T.Mackrill 32 S.Halvorsen 30

In: L.Steane
Out: E.Brush (unavailable)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Steane to Debut
New South Wales product to become the 53rd woman to play for the GIANTS. Local product Lisa Steane will make her NAB AFL Women’s debut on Saturday when the GIANTS take on the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos in Launceston. Steane’s journey to the AFLW hasn’t been an easy one with the 25-year-old overlooked in three drafts before she was selected with the GIANTS second pick in the 2019 NAB AFL Women’s Draft.

After playing with Black Diamond League side Nelson Bay, Steane moved to Sydney and joined Macquarie University where she has continued her development over the past two seasons. Primarily a midfielder, Steane played for the GIANTS’ VFL Women’s side in 2019 and claimed best on ground honours in Macquarie University’s 2019 AFL Sydney Grand Final win.

Boasting speed and a toughness around the ball, Steane has the ability to play a variety of roles for the GIANTS. “She’s an interesting player, she can play inside midfielder or outside,” McConnell said. “Lisa’s probably more adept on the outside but she’s also played ahead of the ball, on the wing and behind the ball for us so she gives us a lot of flexibility in how we can set up on the weekend.”

Steane to Debut
New South Wales product to become the 53rd woman to play for the GIANTS. Local product Lisa Steane will make her NAB AFL Women’s debut on Saturday when the GIANTS take on the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos in Launceston. Steane’s journey to the AFLW hasn’t been an easy one with the 25-year-old overlooked in three drafts before she was selected with the GIANTS second pick in the 2019 NAB AFL Women’s Draft.

After playing with Black Diamond League side Nelson Bay, Steane moved to Sydney and joined Macquarie University where she has continued her development over the past two seasons. Primarily a midfielder, Steane played for the GIANTS’ VFL Women’s side in 2019 and claimed best on ground honours in Macquarie University’s 2019 AFL Sydney Grand Final win.

Boasting speed and a toughness around the ball, Steane has the ability to play a variety of roles for the GIANTS. “She’s an interesting player, she can play inside midfielder or outside,” McConnell said. “Lisa’s probably more adept on the outside but she’s also played ahead of the ball, on the wing and behind the ball for us so she gives us a lot of flexibility in how we can set up on the weekend.”
Shame that the conditions appear to be wet again, hopefully better than last week!

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

NORTH MELBOURNE 1.0 3.0 5.1 6.1 (37)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 1.0 1.3 1.4 2.7 (18)

GOALS
North Melbourne:
Garner 2, Emma King, Elisha King, Abbatangelo, Gillespie-Jones
Greater Western Sydney: Zreika, Tully

BEST
North Melbourne:
Garner, Kearney, Bruton, Riddell, Randall, Gillespie-Jones
Greater Western Sydney: Eva, Parker, Steane, Hicks, Bennetts

INJURIES
North Melbourne:
Ashmore (head knock)
Greater Western Sydney: Nil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
so many wasted opportunities, they need to find clearer, cleaner pathways inside 50

Bad kicking is bad football. 2:7 to 6:1 - kick straight and we win it.

We were all over the Suns the week before. Absolutely dominated in general play and just couldn’t get the ball between the big sticks. Didn’t see this one but 9 scoring shots to 7 says we must have been competitive around the ground.

Goal kicking practice all round this week.

Bad kicking is bad football. 2:7 to 6:1 - kick straight and we win it.

We were all over the Suns the week before. Absolutely dominated in general play and just couldn’t get the ball between the big sticks. Didn’t see this one but 9 scoring shots to 7 says we must have been competitive around the ground.

Goal kicking practice all round this week.
Was a mix of that, definitely some poor shots, but also a lot of terrible entriess

AFLW 2020 Round 3
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Round 3 - GIANTS v West Coast Eagles

Sunday, February 23 at 1:10pm
Blacktown International Sportspark

FB: Pepa Randall, Tanya Hetherington
HB: Jessica Dal Pos, Elle Bennetts, Annalyse Lister
C: Yvonne Bonner, Alicia Eva, Rebecca Beeson
HF: Aimee Schmidt, Cora Staunton, Jodie Hicks
FF: Ingrid Nielsen, Rebecca Privitelli

Ruck: Jess Allan, Britt Tully, Alyce Parker

Interchange Nicola Barr, Lisa Steane, Jacinda Barclay, Louise Stephenson, Haneen Zreika

In: Jacinda Barclay
Out: Erin McKinnon (omitted)

Good to see Jacinda Barclay back, and hopefully she can help our forward structure a bit. Erin McKinnon's omission is a bit of a shock, but obviously the selectors think that she hasn't been playing to her nromal levels.

McConnell has worked on improving his side’s ball use in preparation for the Eagles. “We need to be better with ball in hand, both execution and decisions,” he said. “Making decisions and executing those decisions need to be better if we’re to kick more goals, and we need to kick more goals to be able to win. It’s one thing to be competitive for periods of a game but it’s another thing to put scoreboard pressure on the opposition.”

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

AN ALYCE Parker masterclass has propelled Greater Western Sydney into the top three of Conference A and extended West Coast's losing run. The Giants matched their three-goal tally from the opening fortnight by half-time on their way to an emphatic 6.6 (42) to 2.2 (14) victory at Blacktown International Sportspark. Parker (22 disposals) did the bulk of the grunt work as her impressive season continued, but it was returning forward Jacinda Barclay who broke the game open. Barclay missed the first two rounds with an ankle injury and wasted no time illustrating what GWS had missed. She firstly won a heavily contested groundball to begin the scoring chain that led to Cora Staunton's breakaway first goal of the game. The softball convert then ensured the Giants' dominance started to be reflected on the scoreboard when she kicked a great goal herself after some nifty work from Aimee Schmidt.

GWS never looked back from there, with Rebecca Privitelli – in just her ninth game – capitalising on her teammates' upfield work to finish with three goals.
Parker was at the forefront of those efforts, continually burrowing into backs and often clearing the ball from defence, but she had willing allies in Rebecca Beeson (18), Alicia Eva (14) and Annalyse Lister (13). Giants defender Elle Bennetts also proved mostly impenetrable with a number of intercept marks across the afternoon. Rebecca Privitelli was an aerial force in her breakout AFLW performance, kicking a career-high three goals to terrorise West Coast's defence. Two of those majors came in the third term, but it was one moment a quarter earlier that caught the attention. The ex-Blue soared across a pack to clutch a clean mark, only for a free kick to be paid away from the contest. That non-mark would arguably have been the game's biggest highlight.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
1.1 3.2 5.4 6.6 (42)
WEST COAST EAGLES 0.0 0.0 0.0 2.2 (14)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney:
Privitelli 3, Staunton, Barclay, Zreika
West Coast: Bowen, Cameron

BEST
Greater Western Sydney:
Parker, Beeson, Privitelli, Bennetts, Barclay, Eva, Staunton
West Coast: Hooker, Cameron, Swanson, Bowen, Perera

INJURIES
Greater Western Sydney:
Nil
West Coast: Hooker (throat)

LATE CHANGES
Greater Western Sydney:
Nil
West Coast: Nil
Reports: NilCrowd: TBC at Blacktown International Sportspark

AFLW 2020 Round 4
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

The GIANTS have named their 23-player squad to take on Brisbane at Hickey Park on Sunday.

Sarah Halvorsen and Tait Mackrill have again been named on an extended interchange and would both come in for their first games of the season should they make the final team to be announced at 4pm on Friday. GIANTS AFLW Head Coach Alan McConnell said the side has started to find its groove with new GIANTS Jess Allan, Annalyse Lister and Lisa Steane all impressing over the first three rounds. “I think those three new players added to the line-up, plus a number of girls who have actually been given different roles this year in Elle Bennetts, Nicola Barr and Yvonne Bonner, have been good,” McConnell said.

Brisbane Lions v GIANTS
Hickey Park, Brisbane
Sunday, March 1 at 5:10pm AEDT (4:10pm local time)

FB: Pepa Randall, Tanya Hethernington
HB: Jess Dal Pos, Elle Bennetts, Annaylse Lister
C: Yvonne Bonner, Alicia Eva, Nicola Barr
HF: Haneen Zreika, Cora Staunton, Jodie Hicks
FF: Ingrid Nielsen, Rebecca Privitelli

Ruck: Jess Allan, Alyce Parker, Rebecca Beeson

Interchange (from): Britt Tully, Lisa Steane, Jacinda Barclay, Louise Stephenson, Aimee Schmidt, Tait Mackrill, Sarah Halvorsen

In: Tait Mackrill, Sarah Halvorsen
Out: -

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

BRISBANE 2.5 4.5 7.7 7.9 (51)
GIANTS
1.0 2.5 2.5 3.5 (23)

GOALS
Brisbane:
Wardlaw 2, Svarc 2, Bates, Lutkins, Postlethwaite
GIANTS: Privitelli, Bonner, Schmidt

BEST
Brisbane:
Svarc, Bates, Wardlaw, Moloney, Anderson, Grider
GIANTS:
Zreika, Bennetts, Barr, Beeson

INJURIES
Brisbane:
Nil
GIANTS:
Nil

Reports: Nil

Crowd: 3297 at Hickey Park

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

GIANTS forward Yvonne Bonner will miss the remainder of the 2020 NAB AFL Women’s home and away season after injuring her ankle.

The Irish import sustained ligament damage to her left ankle during the first quarter of the GIANTS’ round four loss to Brisbane at Hickey Park.

Bonner bravely played out the remainder of Sunday’s game and kicked a goal in the last quarter but had scans on her ankle following the game that revealed she won’t play again before finals.

:huh:

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

The GIANTS will celebrate the debut of its 54th AFL Women’s player when Sarah Halvorsen makes her first appearance for the club this Saturday. GIANTS AFL Women’s Coach Alan McConnell announced that the 24-year-old would be making her debut in GIANTS TV’s Coach’s Insight. “It’s a great story, Sarah’s probably tried to make an AFLW list now for three or four years,” McConnell said. “She’s a young woman who commutes, every time we train, from Newcastle. She has a fantastic job up there as an engineer and has made an amazing commitment to become a semi-professional footballer. Tall, athletic and quick, she comes from a touch rugby background, has a family history in the game.”

The former Australian Rugby 7s representative is a versatile tall, being able to play back or forward. While Halvorsen will come into the side for injured forward Yvonne Bonner, McConnell insists it’s not a like-for-like swap. “At this stage I’m not exactly sure where she will finish up, where she will ultimately play, but probably generally ahead of the ball and I’m really excited about what she’ll bring on the weekend and what she’ll bring going forward,” he said.

AFLW 2020 Round 5
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Greater Western Sydney v Richmond, Robertson Oval, 5.10pm AEDT

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
HB: J.Dal Pos - C 7 E.Bennetts 22 A.Lister 14
C: L.Steane 20 B.Tully 36 N.Barr 8
HF: H.Zreika 24 T.Mackrill 32 J.Hicks 5
F: C.Staunton 13 J.Barclay 34
Foll: J.Allan 39 A.Parker 3 R.Beeson 6
I/C: S.Halvorsen 30 E.McKinnon 23 R.Privitelli 19 L.Stephenson 12 A.Schmidt 11

Emerg: I.Nielsen 25 T.Davies 16

In: T.Mackrill, S.Halvorsen, E.McKinnon
Out: Y.Bonner (Ankle), A.Eva (Injured), I.Nielsen (Omitted)

Congrats to Sarah Halvorson on your debut! :rainbow:

Greater Western Sydney v Richmond, Robertson Oval, 5.10pm AEDT

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
HB: J.Dal Pos - C 7 E.Bennetts 22 A.Lister 14
C: L.Steane 20 B.Tully 36 N.Barr 8
HF: H.Zreika 24 T.Mackrill 32 J.Hicks 5
F: C.Staunton 13 J.Barclay 34
Foll: J.Allan 39 A.Parker 3 R.Beeson 6
I/C: S.Halvorsen 30 E.McKinnon 23 R.Privitelli 19 L.Stephenson 12 A.Schmidt 11

Emerg: I.Nielsen 25 T.Davies 16

In: T.Mackrill, S.Halvorsen, E.McKinnon
Out: Y.Bonner (Ankle), A.Eva (Injured), I.Nielsen (Omitted)

Congrats to Sarah Halvorson on your debut! :rainbow:
Bonner was a known loss that would be felt, Eva a huge loss that I doubt we will cover.
The fact we are playing a year 1 team means it's at least still a 50/50 game though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back