AFLW 2020 Sign & Trade Period Announced

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

The AFL today wrote to all clubs to advise the AFL Women’s Sign and Trade Period is scheduled to commence on Monday August 3, 2020.

During this period, Clubs will be permitted to sign up to 27 players, including rookie players. Rookie players in the AFL Women’s Competition are those that have not been listed with any Australian football team for the past three years.
Clubs have been informed they are not permitted to enter into any contracts or make any commitments to players until the commencement of the Sign and Trade Period.

Key Dates ...

Monday August 3

AFLW Sign & Trade Period commences (12pm)

Wednesday August 12
Trade period closes (2pm)
AFLW List Lodgement # 1 (4pm)

Monday August 17
Re-signing and Restricted Free Agent period closes (2pm)
AFLW List Lodgement # 2 (4pm)

Friday August 21
Delisted Free Agent period closes (2pm)
AFLW List Lodgement # 3 (4pm)
AFLW Draft order confirmed

The order for the NAB AFL Women’s Draft will be confirmed prior to the commencement of this period.

GalaxyBlue

All Australian
Apr 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Also potentially factoring who is on a two-year contract, and those whose contracts have expired.

Katie Loynes was on a one-year deal but has already stated she wants to go on for at least another one. And even as the oldest player, Downie is still in great form - she and Moody made a solid ruck combo this year (though Gibbs is possibly being trained up as a potential forward/ruck replacement). Dalton has also indicated she wants to come back for another premiership crack, if possible.

There’s a solid camaraderie and definite hunger in the team to go one better. Fingers-crossed we can keep them all together.

Also two-year deals for Mua, Greg, and McEvoy pls 🤞🏻

Bloody hard to tell who we let go when there is no VFLW to check out development. Abbie Mac didn't get a game this season. Am I right in guessing the others that didn't; Courtney Jones, Sharnie Whiting, Emerson Woods, Brooke Vernon, Serena Gibbs?

Gotta be from that list I reckon. Such a shame because we recruited for the future.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
This applies as much to the men’s game as the women’s.

Is amateurism in its real sense dead and buried as a concept? Nobody would have to pay me to play. Am I being naive?

It seems a shame to me that all decisions orbit around fiscal considerations.

GalaxyBlue

All Australian
Apr 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Bloody hard to tell who we let go when there is no VFLW to check out development. Abbie Mac didn't get a game this season. Am I right in guessing the others that didn't; Courtney Jones, Sharnie Whiting, Emerson Woods, Brooke Vernon, Serena Gibbs?

Gotta be from that list I reckon. Such a shame because we recruited for the future.

Brooke Vernon played one game vs the Doggies as a late replacement for Wilson (illness). She and Jones were listed emergencies for the last few games, so thinking they are decent chances to stay.

GalaxyBlue

All Australian
Apr 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Dug out last years re-signing news to suss out contracts. FYI Abbie McKay is on a two-year deal so most likely safe for another season.

2 years:
Gab Pound
Darcy Vescio
Kerryn Harrington
Nicola Stevens
Tayla Harris
Maddie Prespakis
Jess Hosking
Georgia Gee
Abbie McKay

1 year:
Chloe Dalton
Brooke Walker
Katie Loynes
Sarah Hosking
Breann Moody
Alison Downie
Jayde Van Dyk
Lauren Brazzale
Natalie Plane
Jess Edwards
Charlotte Wilson
Emerson Woods

(Source: https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/250851/blues-re-sign-21-players)

Adding on the first year/rookies (off the top of my head so forgive me if I have forgotten anyone):
Lucy McEvoy
Grace Egan
Vaomua Laloifi
Brooke Vernon
Courtney Jones
Serena Gibbs
Sharnie Whiting
Katie Harrison (rookie)
Joanne Doonan (rookie)

Agree that whoever gets cut is going to be extremely unlucky.

Back