News AFLW 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

That would have been the idea, yeah. She's also a strong contested mark.

You can only take so many flankers in a draft, we’d resemble the men’s which isn’t exactly ideal… if moody were to take a rest you either shift Gibbs in and have vescio as a key target which isn’t exactly horrid but insanely easy to plan against or shift a key back in destroying our backline structure, Imogen slots in, Gibbs pushes into the ruck and we have still a forward structure, you add a flanker in and the interceptors have an insanely easy day

That being said, Milford was a late developer, and Sherar has a bit more size over the ball and is another late developer in terms of a midfield role.

Now that the women's team has Sherar, any chance the men's team drafts He-Man?

You can only take so many flankers in a draft, we’d resemble the men’s which isn’t exactly ideal… if moody were to take a rest you either shift Gibbs in and have vescio as a key target which isn’t exactly horrid but insanely easy to plan against or shift a key back in destroying our backline structure, Imogen slots in, Gibbs pushes into the ruck and we have still a forward structure, you add a flanker in and the interceptors have an insanely easy day
You don't rate Stevens contested marking ability and Walker's ability on the lead?

Hell, you could just set up the structure to be a classic paddock, the women's game is ripe for such things once the centre bounce is done and dusted.

Now that the women's team has Sherar, any chance the men's team drafts He-Man?
Already drafted Kemp

what are peeps giving our draft efforts out of 10 tonight? I'm sensing a wobbly 6-7/10 from jimster.........

That's just the way Jimmae posts ... wobbly. Don't let that get out of this PM.

You don't rate Stevens contested marking ability and Walker's ability on the lead?

Hell, you could just set up the structure to be a classic paddock, the women's game is ripe for such things once the centre bounce is done and dusted.

Already drafted Kemp

Walker tends to get out the back, she’s not a natural footballer just tends to be in the right place at the right time, and while stevens can take a grab a lot of it happens around the 40-60m range, so no I’m not exactly filled with confidence hence why we went tall and not with another flanker. If we were to follow your logic you’d take a ruckman in and the rest mids with speed, but you can’t do that as interceptors would eat you alive.

Walker tends to get out the back, she’s not a natural footballer just tends to be in the right place at the right time, and while stevens can take a grab a lot of it happens around the 40-60m range, so no I’m not exactly filled with confidence hence why we went tall and not with another flanker. If we were to follow your logic you’d take a ruckman in and the rest mids with speed, but you can’t do that as interceptors would eat you alive.
It just means you have to run it in a little. There's a lot of space created with 4 less players on the field.

We have a lot of midfield players who can play tall.

Have we gone best available with 10 & 11 or is it a strategic choice for two Carlton fans and the transient nature of aflw so far (and more with the next round of expansion)?

I remember seeing Lee about there in the phantoms
Lee was in the mix in that range, and Sherar was a little bit of a bolter, but the reasons are sound enough.

Lee is about right, Sherar a bit if a stretch but if she can improve her kicking under pressure or play more outside do she isn’t kicking under pressure so much then her disposal efficiency will improve dramatically and that will be a big jump up in value . She had the athletic traits covered. Milford gives us a still young (Dec 99) but matured KF with more maturing to go- good pickup at they point ib the draft and Vickers gives us speed in my viewings quality disposal off HSB or wing, though I do not a number of critics if her kicking but I haven’t seen that, quite the opposite. But gutted we passed on our last pick when Gillard was still available, wound have been ideal in my view and have no idea how she lasted so long. Demons snapped her up shortly thereafter snd have a good one. That sww as if opinions on players in this cohort wre as diverse as i can ever recall if not more do, so it might take time to see who got what right and wrong Moreno then ever.
Haven’t had a look at who got overlooked but I presume we will fill the spot given list sizes.

Being in the right place at the right time makes her a natural footballer. Its something that is very hard to teach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not leading patterns though, just getting out the back of a contest.
Yes getting to the right place at the right time is a big part of being a natural footballer but certainly doesn't equate to it. I too saw the incongruity of those 2 comments next to each other, but I think that is the answer.

We have until tomorrow evening to fill our last list spot. Likely an undrafted player from interstate.

Interested to see who we go with... quick look over our projected best 22 and depth doesn't give a whole lot of insight:

FB: Pound Wilson
HB: Laloifi Harrington Walker
C: Hill McEvoy Brazzale
HF: Vescio Stevens Gee
FF: Walker Gibbs

R: Moody Egan Prespakis

Int: McKay, Guerin, Hammans, O'Dea, Dal Pos

EMG:
Lee (general def), Milford (fwd/ruck), Sherar (mid), Vernon (KPD)

Spares: Vickers (def/mid), Plane (util), Jones (mid/fwd), Trudgeon (KPF)

So all signs again point to a need for a quick attacking defender, an outside mid with some serious athleticism, or a quick small forward who can pinch hit in midfield transition or in stoppage looks.

Interested to see who we go with... quick look over our projected best 22 and depth doesn't give a whole lot of insight:

FB: Pound Wilson
HB: Laloifi Harrington Walker
C: Hill McEvoy Brazzale
HF: Vescio Stevens Gee
FF: Walker Gibbs

R: Moody Egan Prespakis

Int: McKay, Guerin, Hammans, O'Dea, Dal Pos

EMG:
Lee (general def), Milford (fwd/ruck), Sherar (mid), Vernon (KPD)

Spares: Vickers (def/mid), Plane (util), Jones (mid/fwd), Trudgeon (KPF)

So all signs again point to a need for a quick attacking defender, an outside mid with some serious athleticism, or a quick small forward who can pinch hit in midfield transition or in stoppage looks.
Ruck?

Also, I hope recruiters are already working on getting some decent recruits for next trade period. Especially if we lose Perspakis to Essendon.

We have been bleeding talent with no reward for way too long.

Last edited:
Ruck it is with the arrival of Good. Needed a backup if something happens to Moody.

Hard to say whether we've improved the list from the previous season. I'm hopeful Lee's arrival means that Plane will finally get overtaken. Sherar looks an interesting proposition. Her pace fills a massive void if the other parts of her game stand up to the elite environment.

A lot of pressure on Gibbs to take a step up in the forward line with the departure of Harris.

My best team looks something like:
B: Wilson Laloifi
HB: Pound Harrington Lee
C: Hill Egan Dal Pos
R: Moody Prespakis McKay
HF: Walker McEvoy Gee
F: Vescio Gibbs
I/C: Stevens O'Dea Brazzale Sherar Guerin

On list structure it thumbs its nose a bit at Stevens, Milford and Trudgeon's ability to play key position in the event of Gibbs being left to play primary ruck.

On talent it's a bit of a strange choice beyond pure craft. Given the lack of above average body strength, her mobility looks to be a concern if you're judging off the club's footage, but then this her on the hard court last week:

Needs a good pre-season to meet the requirements of AFLW IMO, but could be a surprise packet.

A great read, this. Glad to hear we got the players we wanted with our first two picks.

Also the fact we considered Vickers off Mimi’s recommendation showing how much respect she already has. Future captain, that Hill.

I would describe it as an enlightening read. I would have thought there would have been more football analysis laced into the article.

Seems a bit suburban compared to what I'd be expecting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back