Game Day AFLW 2021 Grand Final: Adelaide v Brisbane - Sat April 17 at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

This game must be played at the MCG - its tradition

giphy___2019_07_04T155330.195.gif

If the girls do manage to win and make it a 3rd flag, what a great story.

It wasn't even looking like we would have a team for a bit there.

All the talk was about how poor the standard of women's footy was in SA. Port Power were favourites to get a team. From memory the NT connection got us over the line.

I really think they play an important part in building a very strong and respected club. Nicks and the new coaches have us heading in the right direction in the men's. We want to be a club that people universally say, 'Yep, they're a really strong club'.

They used to say that, they could be saying that again soon.

I remember there were pretty much a dozen of us on here being keen observers in the first couple of seasons. The skills were pretty average back then, but the endeavours, heart and soul were evident from Day 1. I am so darn proud of our girls, and the entire AFLW comp for progressing the game that it has.

Having said all that, a third win would be bloody sweet!

With Randall out, who do we think comes in? Biddell and Considine were emergencies this week, are they the obvious incumbents? Biddell has the height, Considine has the running power, but neither of them are great ins. Have we put the queue in the rack for the likes of Munyard, Newman and Forth for this year?

On another note, it's crazy to think how much turnover there has been in both our list and Brisbane's list in the five seasons so far. Assuming they go in unchanged next week and we only replace Randall, only 17 out of the 44 players who played in the 2017 grand final will line up again in the 2021 rematch (Foley, Varnhagen, Marinoff, Metcalfe, Phillips, Thompson, Mules, Cox, Hatchard and Allan for us, Bates, Koenen, Zielke, Lutkins, Anderson, Campbell and Wuetschner for Brisbane).

Martin's definitely a pocket rocket.

I thought she was on meth for that 3rd quarter, playing at the next level. Surprised she didn’t pull out a knife and stab someone

If the girls do manage to win and make it a 3rd flag, what a great story.

It wasn't even looking like we would have a team for a bit there.

All the talk was about how poor the standard of women's footy was in SA. Port Power were favourites to get a team. From memory the NT connection got us over the line.

I really think they play an important part in building a very strong and respected club. Nicks and the new coaches have us heading in the right direction in the men's. We want to be a club that people universally say, 'Yep, they're a really strong club'.

They used to say that, they could be saying that again soon.

I sound like a broken record, but

VFL: we’ve decided to have a women’s comp

CROWS: cool, we’ll be in that

VFL: quality’s not good enough in SA, nah

CROWS: say what?!

VFL: Okay how about yes but don’t get in the way of the real clubs and the marquee players we’ve already decided upon for marketability

CROWS: marketability?

VFL: yeah, like this:

CA2DD79E-26FB-4574-A5EE-F92B1326F190.jpeg

CROWS: gee, Chelsea should be right up front, not-

VFL: look, we’ve got Daisy Pearce and Moana Hope and Tayla Harris, they’re all going to be VFLW champions we can market this game around.

CROWS: exciting! We’ve got Ebony Marinoff and Chelsea Randall and OMG Erin P-

VFL: are you still here? Look we’re really busy trying to work out how to congratulate ourselves on how we invented women’s footy

CROWS: but you didn’t inve-

VFL: ah, we can’t wait for the inaugural AFLW final at the traditional home of football, the MCG

CROWS: ...what are the rules for hosting?

VFL: highest-ranked team‘s home ground

CROWS: oh like the men’s should be

VFL: Don’t you worry your pretty little heads about it, just keep out of the way of the big teams, okay?

CROWS: it’s okay, they won’t give us much trouble

VFL: You mean you won’t give them much trouble

CROWS: we must have misspoken. All good!

With Randall out, who do we think comes in? Biddell and Considine were emergencies this week, are they the obvious incumbents? Biddell has the height, Considine has the running power, but neither of them are great ins. Have we put the queue in the rack for the likes of Munyard, Newman and Forth for this year?

On another note, it's crazy to think how much turnover there has been in both our list and Brisbane's list in the five seasons so far. Assuming they go in unchanged next week and we only replace Randall, only 17 out of the 44 players who played in the 2017 grand final will line up again in the 2021 rematch (Foley, Varnhagen, Marinoff, Metcalfe, Phillips, Thompson, Mules, Cox, Hatchard and Allan for us, Bates, Koenen, Zielke, Lutkins, Anderson, Campbell and Wuetschner for Brisbane).
The great thing is though that our younger players are really stepping up. No Chelsea and a bad game from Erin would finish us in the early days but not so now. Unfortunately will be playing soccer on the day but very confident we win.

Did Randall actually get concussion? After watching Doc's interview I'm not so sure. Won't be on the forum for a few hours, but keen to read people's responses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, heard on a news report that she’ll be assessed if she had/has any affects of concussion and be reviewed if she’s able to play

They're making absolutely certain to not say "we went through the concussion protocol" in case there's a way to get her back in. The AFL has a history of finding loopholes for its star players to play in grand finals, so who knows? The match would certainly be better for Chelsea's involvement, but on the other hand she's just as likely to smash into someone again!

If we actually were smart Enough to get around this rule by not actually doing the test and the AFLW give it the all clear because it's a grandfinal expect more clubs to do this....

Did anyone go to the game yesterday? After Chelsea had the collision, was she being assessed in the changerooms or monitored at the bench?

Did Randall actually get concussion? After watching Doc's interview I'm not so sure. Won't be on the forum for a few hours, but keen to read people's responses.

It looks like a concussion just from the footage of the collision. However, you can be “dazed” which appears the same as a concussion, but usually there is full regaining of consciousness within minutes, and you can still perform as per relative usual. This actually happened to me during an amateur club training session, I picked myself up after a bump within a minute or so, and able to train on fine. Nil lingering effects the following days.

Was there, but not sure. She was definitely on the bench before long, I remember seeing her there during the second quarter.
The reason I asked in previous post is that if she took roughly 20 minutes in the changeroom and being assessed for concussion, then effectively by her not playing for the rest of the match, this implies she had concussion. However, she was able to jog off the ground (if I recalled correctly), so she
could have been assessed briefly on the bench and pass some prelimary tests for concussion. They could then say she wasn’t actually concussed (assuming nil drowsy effects the following days), and the club chose to not play Chelsea just as a precaution only.
Obviously I’m being hopeful, but with Chelsea jogging off, it’s a good sign it’s not a serious issue at least. Whether she plays next week or not it’s up to the footy Gods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back