Game Day AFLW 2021 Grand Final: Adelaide v Brisbane - Sat April 17 at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair amount of hubris to win a prelim because you changed strategy against a team that beat you last time, and then go into the Grand Final the following week assuming you need to change nothing because you defeated the opponent last time out.

Also know your limitations...
That was the correct call by Considine. Taking the 0.1% chance of breaking the opposition tackle was the only way to victory at that point, a defensive kick was game over.

Not being nasty.
lol

Did you watch the 2019 AFL grand final?

Fair amount of hubris to win a prelim because you changed strategy against a team that beat you last time, and then go into the Grand Final the following week assuming you need to change nothing because you defeated the opponent last time out.

That was the correct call by Considine. Taking the 0.1% chance of breaking the opposition tackle was the only way to victory at that point, a defensive kick was game over.

lol

Did you watch the 2019 AFL grand final?
We're talking about a pattern.

I was working yesterday but saw patches of the game on TV, listened to the radio and watched some replays.

Overall, despite the loss, I felt the game was the best Grand Final we’ve had as an AFLW competition perspective. It was a genuine hard fought, tight tussle for the most part of 3 quarters and the umpiring didn’t appear to be as bad as previous years of Finals. The defensive pressure both teams had applied was top-notch and befitting of 2 Grand Finalists.

Where I feel we had lost was the lack of leadership. With no Chelsea, we lacked genuine leadership in defense yesterday and an onfield presence that would have caused the opponents to smell some fear. With Erin, she certainly seemed to have lacked a gear or two, and mostly likely have played injured. I didn’t see any remarkable plays by Erin (marks or winning one-on-one contests), and Erin being a non-presence in a Final is actually remarkable in itself! Then of course, you have Foley out in the 3rd quarter with the knee injury. Coincidentally, with Foley down, that was roughly the time Brisbane took the ascendancy with a flurry of goals and we just couldn’t cope.

Brisbane deserved the win yesterday. They played a genuine game of team effort and high skills, with some genuine luck also. Congrats to them!

Fair play to Brisbane. Better coached, better game plan, better effort, better intensity, better skills, better football brains. Better all over the ground and better in every position

Two things worried me going in. First was no Randall, we're not that good when we don't have both Phillips and Randall fully fit. Second was listening to Marinoff answering a question during the week about Randall being awarded a medal if we won. Correct response is to block that question in a way Chris Tavare would be proud of. Seemed to imply a poor mindset entertaining such a question.

I went to the game and it was a great day out. I never expected us to win before first bounce even though we were at home - Brisbane had a score to settle, they don't lose in Adelaide, we had Randall out, etc. The omens were not good. Had we had Randall, I still would have had Brisbane as slight favourites, though it would have been tighter and we may have won with the home crowd advantage - then again, the crowd was reported to be about 22,000 when I thought they were going to let up to 40,000 attend? They did make some noise but it looked quite empty and the upper tiers of the Western Stand and most the the Riverbank Stand were not used. Certainly, the crowd didn't seem to faze Brisbane, and you could clearly hear their fans chanting from time to time.

It was a strange game. You couldn't fault our girls' effort but you could fault their skills. Whether it was performing in front of their home fans, too much respect for Brisbane, the loss of Randall - I'm not sure, but most of our play broke down. I think the girls only strung more than 5 or 6 passes together on about four occasions throughout the match (I may be wrong, but it seemed that way). Too often they would end up kicking to the opposition, drop the mark, or fumble when trying to pick the ball up - so there were few passages of smooth play. When they did get through Brisbane closed them down fast and our girls kept trying to shrug off the defenders and go it alone which generally failed and they'd get caught holding the ball or turn it over. Thompson gave us our most exciting moments, but even she was well-contained for the most part.

Worryingly, Phillips was not involved much after the first quarter when she tended to drop back away from the action, and was clearly not fully fit or was too sore to get really stuck in. It felt like it was her swansong. It's a shame she couldn't get a solid foothold and influence the game in the way she has been able to for so long. Does she have anything left in the tank for another year as a player? It would take a Herculean effort - but if anyone can do it, she can.

Brisbane on the other hand looked more composed. They showed clean skills and their girls constantly moved into space for each other. They certainly had the rub of the green in terms of umpire decisions in the first half though the umpiring improved after half time. They also had some luck with the bounce of the ball and couple of their goals. Their goal on the siren at half time seemed ominous and so it proved to be. Our girls came out strong after half time and attacked for the opening five minutes or so before Brisbane broke away and got a fourth. You felt then that the mountain was too high to climb. It did seem at times like everything was falling Brisbane's way. That said, they earnt their luck by outsmarting us.

Overall, I can't complain about the result, Brisbane were the better team on the day. Hodder's goal was a joy to watch and one that deserved to be scored by the winning team. They just seemed to want it more.

Confirmed now that Foley did her ACL
That sucks bigtime. She will almost certainly miss some/all of the 2022 season.

I really felt for Foley yesterday. It just wasn't happening for her and you could see it starting to get to her, and then she did her knee. It's one thing for Scheer and Phillips to do an ACL but still get to taste premiership glory. It's another to be a captain in a grand final loss and do an ACL as well. Footy can be cruel as hell sometimes.

Who'd be a Crow skipper, almost a monty to do a knee.

Watched the replay tonight. We have been blessed to have a player like Phillips who we could turn to and she'd get it done. Saturday we saw another slice of life without her...... And we've got work to do.

Need to fix the ruck, need a lot more dynamism in midfield (hopefully Scheer) and another gun KPF.

Sounds like Racjic might be on the way out too.

It hurt a bit too much to read this thread, but I think the dust has settled enough now for me to give a few random thoughts on the grand final. Not that I saw the TV broadcast mind you so this is all my interpretation from row P behind the goals, haha.

After a thoroughly disappointing return from injury, I think Deni Varnhagen had her best match of the season. Took some great intercept marks, played on well and hit targets. Looked to have some of her pace back, too. Hopefully she can have a proper preseason and get back to her best because she's a class player when she's up and running, but didn't look near it this year.

Chloe Scheer on the other hand had her worst match. I'm a massive fan and have no doubt she's going to have a great career if her body holds up, but she just struggled to do anything. As a leading forward she is vulnerable if she draws the best defender. I think playing her primarily in the midfield is a good move going forward, as long as we can find some forwards. We need Ponter and Woodland to step up and play at their best to relieve her of that burden, particularly with Phillips on her last legs.

Metcalfe also had her worst match of the season in my eyes. I've been really impressed with her this year after having written her off in 2020, but she was just monstered in the ruck in the GF. Gould is alright but only a stopgap in that role. We desperately need either McKinnon to come on, or someone like Prowse to get drafted and make an impact in that role. It's concerning that Metcalfe is the only ruck we have over six feet tall - Prowse isn't going to help that either.

I might be overrating her (is that even possible?) but I genuinely think we would have been in the game if Randall had played. I don't think Brisbane kicked a single goal from a set shot, right? It was all ball in dispute, a defender either fails to kill the ball or lets it slip to a lose forward, and a quick snap that goes through. Apologies to Considine, but the goal she let go through simply shouldn't have happened, and Randall wouldn't have let it happen. It's not Considine's fault, mind you - she should never have been on the last line of defence. Realistically, she probably shouldn't have been playing at all. There were at least two goals in congested situations that I am convinced Randall would have prevented, and then suddenly that scoreline looks a hell of a lot closer.

It was very obvious at the ground that Brisbane had our gameplan thoroughly scouted. They knew we would try to play on at all costs, so they were actively preparing for it, setting up to close in on us the second we did and force a rushed kick. Their defenders were super smart in positioning themselves exactly one hack kick ahead of play. We really needed to react a bit earlier to that and change what we were doing, even if only for a little while, to disrupt Brisbane. Instead we just played into their hands all match long, constantly playing on into trouble and the turning the ball over. Playing on creates scoring opportunities, yes, but turnovers at that point are the most costly because they are absolutely impossible to defend the other way. The scoreline at quarter time and even half time flattered us greatly.

To finish on a positive note, despite being comprehensively beaten on the day, we were still in my eyes, clearly the second-best team of the season. There was a bit of destiny to Brisbane winning - if we're being honest, they deserved it more than we did. They've had it harder than we have in several ways. Simply put, they were hungrier than we were. Other than Phillips who really struggled in the second half of the season, most of our team is still on the right side of 30. Forth is 34 but she isn't in the best 21 anyway. Foley will be 33 next year and may not return from her ACL injury until the following year. Rajcic will be 32 next year, I thought she had a good season this year after a shocker last year, we'll see if she goes on. Then it's Sedunary who will be 31 next year, again, not in the best 21. That leaves Randall and Metcalfe, who will both be 30 next year. The vast majority of our best 21 players are nowhere near 30. I guess what I'm saying is, there's no reason we shouldn't expect to be around the mark again next year, or even the next few years. Port are still at least a year away so we get access to the best SA talent in the draft for a while longer. We should expect to be around the mark at the pointy end of the season again in 2022.

And hey, three premierships out of five would still be pretty good, right? :p

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back