Women's Footy AFLW 2021 - GWS Women's Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Alyce Parker has opened the season in Matt Rowell-esque form.

How do the AFLW guernseys tend to fit on men? The club's store says it's unisex, however someone at the merchandise store told me it's in a women's cut.
Definitely a womans cut, Im a mens 2XL and noone of the ladies come close

How do the AFLW guernseys tend to fit on men? The club's store says it's unisex, however someone at the merchandise store told me it's in a women's cut.
You'd be better off getting a Polo I'd say, much more comfortable

AFLW 2021 Rd 3 - GWS v GCS

Second-year midfielder Georgia Garnett will play her first AFLW game on Saturday at Blacktown International Sportspark when the GIANTS face the Gold Coast Suns. Garnett is one of four changes for the must-win clash with defender Annalyse Lister returning from injury and Tait Mackrill and Taylah Davies recalled to the forward line.

An outstanding junior from Castle Hill in Western Sydney, Garnett played at three NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships for NSW/ACT as a junior. Able to play across every line, Garnett played a key role in the East Coast Eagles’ push to the AFL Sydney Grand Final in 2019 before being drafted ahead of the 2020 season. After not managing a game in her first season, the 19-year-old will finally get her chance in the orange and charcoal on Saturday afternoon.

Tarni Evans will miss the clash after accepting a one-match suspension following last week’s game while Erin Todd, Jodie Hicks and Aimee Schmidt have been omitted. Saturday’s game will be the first chance for GIANTS fans to see their team in person in 356 days.

Make sure you’re there for the big, big homecoming, purchase your tickets via Ticketmaster today!

Round 3

GIANTS v Gold Coast Suns
Saturday, February 13 at 3:10pm
Blacktown International Sportspark

FB: Pepa Randall, Tanya Hetherington
HB: Lisa Steane, Louise Stephenson, Annalyse Lister
C: Elle Bennetts, Britt Tully, Alicia Eva
HF: Tait Mackrill, Jessica Dal Pos, Haneen Zreika
FF: Cora Staunton, Taylah Davies
RR: Erin McKinnon, Alyce Parker, Rebecca Beeson

Interchange: Georgia Garnett, Jessica Allan, Emily Goodsir, Rebecca Privitelli, Nicola Barr

In: Georgia Garnett, Annalyse Lister, Taylah Davies, Tait Mackrill
Out: Tarni Evans (suspension), Erin Todd, Jodie Hicks, Aimee Schmidt (omitted)

Emergencies: Libby Graham, Jodie Hicks

First win of the season, in wet conditions at Blacktown.

Capture - GWS d GCS.PNG
We are struggling to kick goals this year - neither Cora Staunton nor Bec Privitelli have gotten going.

However, Alyce Parker - what a stunning year. 24 disposals this week, 15 contested, 5 tackles. Realistically has been the best midfielder on the ground in all 3 games, but doesn't get the recognition from VFL. And how well she speaks to the media. Bec Beeson has also been really good support this year.

Well done, ladies, enjoy that win!

First win of the season, in wet conditions at Blacktown.

View attachment 1056983
We are struggling to kick goals this year - neither Cora Staunton nor Bec Privitelli have gotten going.

However, Alyce Parker - what a stunning year. 24 disposals this week, 15 contested, 5 tackles. Realistically has been the best midfielder on the ground in all 3 games, but doesn't get the recognition from VFL. And how well she speaks to the media. Bec Beeson has also been really good support this year.

Well done, ladies, enjoy that win!
Another torrential day against the Suns in Blacktown, starting to think we should play up there instead :tearsofjoy:

GREATER Western Sydney has inflicted more pain on Gold Coast, getting off the mark for 2021 with a 10-point win at Blacktown International Sportspark on Saturday afternoon. With rain sweeping the ground through most of the match, scoring was difficult, but two first-quarter goals from the Giants was enough to eke out a 2.6 (18) to 1.2 (8) victory.

GIANTS v SUNS Full match coverage and stats

Alyce Parker was magnificent for the winners, racking up 24 disposals, including six clearances, and laying five tackles. Rebecca Beeson (24) was also terrific, while captain Alicia Eva (14 and a goal) and Elle Bennetts (15) were also strong contributors.

Once Alan McConnell's team established a healthy 16-point lead at half-time, their defence held up brilliantly, repeatedly turning away Gold Coast's forward forays. The Suns generated 21 inside 50s, but managed just three scoring shots, while the powerhouse Giants thrived with the ball on the ground.

The hero

The Giants had many good players, but it was All Australian Alyce Parker who stood tall. Parker earned an equal match high 24 disposals with Rebecca Beeson, but it was her power running from contest to contest to help create an overlap of numbers that stood out the most. Not only did she win six clearances at the coalface, but also won six intercept possessions to show her two-way running. It's easy to see why Parker is the early season leader for disposals in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS 2. 6. (18) DEFEATED GOLD COAST 1. 2. (8)

REVIEWER – BRETT HODGSON

Here we are in round 3 for a game between two teams that have yet to taste the sweet spoils of victory. Both the Suns and the Giants come into this game with something to play for. GWS return to Blacktown for the first time for crowd-football in 355 days, and the first time since the tragic passing of Jacinda Barclay. Gold Coast have had the hypothetical highs and lows, having set their highest score ever in Round 1 to back it up with the lowest score in AFLW history ( 0.2) in Round 2

It’s a battle between the two most leaky defences in 2021. Gold Coast did play on a wet track last week vs Fremantle so perhaps they are well prepared, or maybe they have a higher fatigue factor to overcome and it’s the Giants time to stand tall. Let’s see who comes out on top in this mongrel of a day.

The Giants opened up with the first two goals of the game in the first quarter to take a 15 point lead (2.3 to 0.0) at quarter time. As it turns out that was all the margin they would need to get their first win for the season, taking the contest by 10 points (2.6 to 1.2)

Gold Coast somehow not only came agonisingly close to setting or equalling their record low score, but also were in a position yo pinch this game in the dying stages. Jamie Stanton goaled with two minutes remaining to give the Suns a shot but a Giants clearance and a dangerous tackle free was the final nail in the coffin for the Suns and the ecstatic Giants girls celebrated in honour of their teammate.

THE GAMEPLAN

In a clash of contrasting styles, the Suns strangely came out early with a short kicking, possession game, which is far from ideal in the conditions presented. GC held their marks luckily but did not put the GWS players under any pressure via field position or “chaos balls” like the game plan they had last week in the wet vs Freo.

The Giants chose to attack via the long ball after gaining the contested ball at ground level. The GWS mids were a bit more decisive with their disposal and got rid of the ball quickly after a broken tackle whereas, far too often, after busting one tackle the second tackle would immediately nail a Suns player and a free kick would be awarded to the Giants.

ALYCE PARKER

Parker was phenomenal for GWS, breaking tackles and gathering the ball all over the field. She found herself working hard to support her backline as well as being a danger up forward in the contest. She played the changing conditions superbly, altering her tactics on the fly. Early on she was damaging with the long ball, but once the drizzle subsided she altered back to feeding her outside players with clean disposal by hand (her hands in traffic to set up Alicia Eva for her goal was superb)

Three votes no question to Parker. 24 touches (six intercept possessions), six clearances and five tackles mark a great day at the office for the leading disposal winner in AFLW.

MACKRILL

I loved the impact of Tait Mackrill in this game for GWS as she had some vital moments across half-forward and certainly made her presence felt. Two bone-crunching tackles led to dangerous forward 50 entries, including her tackle and kick to set up Taylah Davies for the opening goal. She was mostly unstoppable when she decided to take on the tackler or challenge a Sun in possession.

GWS WIN THE MIDFIELD BATTLE

It was a battle of contrasting styles with the rest of the midfielders of the classic offence vs defence matchup.

The attacking Giants with Alicia Eva and Rebecca Beeson vs the dour and defensive-minded Jamie Stanton, Kate Surman and Hanna Dunn. Both groups had their moments but ultimately the Giants pair stood firm and took the points, often seeming to have that bit of extra space and time in the clinches.

The toughness of Eva was a feature as she broke multiple tackles and was then able to release. In contrast, whenever a Suns mid could fight through they were often immediately wrapped up and penalised in the follow-up tackle. In particular, for the Suns I was impressed by the toughness of Co-Captain Dunn as she never gave in and went about it with no issue, putting her body on the line routinely, tallying nine disposals and seven tackles.

In the end, the power in the middle won out for the Giants with Beeson, Eva and Elle Bennetts combining for 51 touches.

TACKLES

There will be some sore bodies tomorrow with 142 tackles laid for the match. There was some Giant hits (I know, I know) from Mackrill that set the tone in this one but not to be outdone Lucy Single kept the game within reach with a chasedown tackle in the final minute of the second quarter as Cora Staunton was about to kick for goal from 15 metres out.

QUICK THOUGHTS

Rebecca Privitelli was unlucky to not have a larger impact, on a dry track I feel she could have likely been a multiple goalkeeper as she was a danger all day, just couldn’t fully capitalise.

Louise Stevenson had a great game at centre halfback for the Giants, especially in the second half of the game when the Suns were pushing hard to get back in the game. Her disposal and reading of the play makes her a handful in the back half

Georgia Garnett had a very impressive debut, bobbing up in key moments around the ground, the Giants would have been thrilled with her involvement. 10 touches and four tackles on debut

Last but not least it would be criminal if I did not mention the 5ft2 bulldozer, Haneen Zreika. She was a handful for the Suns defence with her constant pressure, and a couple of her tackles were absolute belters.

AFLW 2021 Rd 4 - GWS v West Coast Eagles
Greater Western Sydney v West Coast at Blacktown International Sportspark, 5.10pm AEDT

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
P.Randall 21 T.Hetherington 9
HB: T.Evans 18 L.Stephenson 12 A.Lister 14
C: E.Bennetts 22 B.Tully 36 A.Eva 2 (C)
HF: T.Mackrill 32 J.Dal Pos 7 H.Zreika 24
F: C.Staunton 13 R.Privitelli 19
Foll: E.McKinnon 23 A.Parker 3 R.Beeson 6
I/C: G.Garnett 17 J.Allan 39 E.Goodsir 1 N.Barr 8 T.Davies 16

Emerg: L.Steane 20 S.Halvorsen 30

In: T.Evans
Out: L.Steane (Omitted)

WEST COAST

B:
S.McDonald 35 C.Perera 27
HB: B.Smith 14 A.Ward 33 T.Bresland 20
C: M.Bowen 1 A.McCarthy 11 M.Collier 8
HF: A.Atkins 9 I.Cameron 19 M.Caulfield 10
F: A.Janz 37 G.Kelly 15
Foll: P.Laurie 25 E.Swanson - C 13 I.Lewis 6
I/C: K.Pope 29 K.Gibson 2 H.Bullas 24 C.Guard 4 L.Gauci 26

Emerg: K.Orme 32 S.Davison 28

In: A.Janz, L.Gauci
Out: A.Gilmore (Injured), S.Davison (Omitted)

Georgia Garnett holds her spot after a very solid debut, with Tarni Evans returning from suspension to displace Lisa Steane.

really good game. not massive atmosphere but just a really good vibe - topped with a really good win.

some beautiful, almost orange tsunami like, passages of play - particularly early.

Garnett a find

Parker a star

Staunton suburb

all in all a really enjoyable way to spend a beautiful sunday afternoon.

I really enjoyed going to the woman's games the last 2 weeks.
Parker clearly a star, but there a few other rippers. I love Elle Bennetts, but think I've become bias because she was so nice to my little girl. Privitelli was super today.as well.

AFLW 2021 Rd 5 - Western Bulldogs v GWS
Saturday, February 27
Western Bulldogs v GWS at VU Whitten Oval, 3.10pm AEDT

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B:
N.Ferres 16 E.Gamble 14
HB: A.Guest 19 K.Lynch 10 E.Brown 9
C: B.Hunt 21 E.Blackburn - C 2 D.Berry 7
HF: E.Georgostathis 17 I.Huntington 4 B.Lochland 1
F: B.Toogood 8 K.McLeod 6
Foll: C.Moody 13 G.Newton 5 K.Lamb 27
I/C: D.Marshall 26 K.Rennie 24 H.Scott 22 S.Hartwig 15 J.Fitzgerald 23

Emerg: I.Pritchard 20 I.Grant 3

In: B.Hunt
Out: I.Grant (omitted)

GWS

B:
T.Evans 18 G.Garnett 17
HB: P.Randall 21 A.Lister 14 L.Stephenson 12
C: N.Barr 8 B.Tully 36 A.Eva - C 2
HF: H.Zreika 24 J.Dal Pos 7 T.Mackrill 32
F: C.Staunton 13 R.Privitelli 19
Foll: E.McKinnon 23 A.Parker 3 E.Goodsir 1
I/C: E.Bennetts 22 J.Allan 39 R.Beeson 6 T.Davies 16 K.Smith 4

Emerg: L.Steane 20 A.Schmidt 11

In: K.Smith
Out: T.Hetherington (ankle)

WESTERN BULLDOGS 1.2 5.2 7.2 7.5 (47)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 1.2 1.2 3.3 3.4 (22)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs:
Toogood 3, Huntington 3, McLeod
Greater Western Sydney: Privitelli, Tully, McKinnon

BEST
Western Bulldogs:
Huntington, Toogood, Lamb, Blackburn, Brown, McLeod, Lochland
Greater Western Sydney: Beeson, Parker, Eva, Tully, Bennetts

INJURIES
Western Bulldogs:
Berry (knee)
Greater Western Sydney: Nil

Reports: Nil

Crowd: 2461 at VU Whitten Oval

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have four straight victories and are emerging as a genuine AFLW premiership threat, with a 25-point win over Greater Western Sydney on Saturday the latest emphatic statement of their intent this season. It was the dynamic forward partnership of Isabel Huntington and Bonnie Toogood that inspired the 7.5 (47) to 3.4 (22) win at the VU Whitten Oval, with the pair providing an unstoppable combination in attack to haunt the Giants all afternoon.

Rebecca Beeson (24 disposals, five tackles) typified the Giants' performance, fighting hard all afternoon and perhaps shading the red-hot Ellie Blackburn (17 disposals, five tackles) in the midfield. But the Dogs had too many contributors to ease over the line. It didn't all go their way, with the Giants controlling the territory battle throughout a tough and tense start to the match. But it was the Bulldogs who were putting on a counter-attacking clinic to ultimately claim the significant early advantage. After the scores were level at the opening interval, Huntington and Toogood were the beneficiaries of some smooth transitions through the middle of the field to finish the half with a combined five goals and hand their side a 24-point buffer at the main break.

The Giants can feel hard done by. Having gone into quarter-time level, they dominated the early stages of the second term. They moved the ball forward nicely and worked repeat entries through awesome pressure inside 50, but had no means of converting the territorial control into goals. As it happened, the Bulldogs poured forward rapidly on the break, kicked four goals in 11 minutes, and the match was as good as done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back