Discussion AFLW 2021 - Photos and Discussion

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

I love the Saints' version of the candy stripe paired with the black shorts, but I don't think that combo will actually be worn in any games. I'd also argue that the VFLW teams' home jumper is the boldest/most traditional looking St Kilda jumper worn by any team representing the club at the moment (with the black number box a de facto logo in the old black box).

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Geelong is the best I've seen so far, also will be used for the men's which is nice. The bird on the Melbourne jumper reminds me of the og Adelaide away kit.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
71A56941-1CE9-444C-9BD6-59B511394988.jpeg

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh boy, there's going to be another clash between Adelaide and St Kilda...
So far we've got navy blue (Geelong) v black (Richmond), sky blue (Gold Coast) v royal blue (West Coast) and white (Adelaide) v white (St Kilda).

It begs the question how far out these guernseys were designed, and if was in the last 12 months (presumably so), whether it was pretty naive of the manufacturer/clubs/league to design dark or light guernseys for specific fixture match-ups given how flexible it is.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
It begs the question how far out these guernseys were designed, and if was in the last 12 months (presumably so), whether it was pretty naive of the manufacturer/clubs/league to design dark or light guernseys for specific fixture match-ups given how flexible it is.
Or maybe scheduling this week could have been done to avoid this?

Or the AFL could've stuck to the original AFLW fixture.
Don't get me started on the fixture. Has to be one of the most compromised draws in a sporting competition in history, given you don't have to play everyone, the AFL makes up the fixture week by week and now they are considering double ups in a 9 round season. Surprised there hasn't been more uproar about this.

The three top interstate teams (Freo, Brisbane and the the Crows) have had just one match against a Victorian club between them up until this point, which given the Vic teams had no football played in their local comp last year and so haven't played since last AFLW season, seems pretty suspicious to me. They have pretty much given those teams a mini pre season before they have to face tougher opposition.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't get me started on the fixture. Has to be one of the most compromised draws in a sporting competition in history, given you don't have to play everyone, the AFL makes up the fixture week by week and now they are considering double ups in a 9 round season. Surprised there hasn't been more uproar about this.

The three top interstate teams (Freo, Brisbane and the the Crows) have had just one match against a Victorian club between them up until this point, which given the Vic teams had no football played in their local comp last year and so haven't played since last AFLW season, seems pretty suspicious to me. They have pretty much given those teams a mini pre season before they have to face tougher opposition.
A lot of the aflw players don't play state football, especially in vic. Doesn't help alot of the vic aflw teams aren't upto it.

On a separate note, can't see expansion happening anything soon. Quality of the players is just not there. Maybe they can introduce promotion/relegation and add 2 teams to make it 20 teams.

More white on the back of Geelong's, it might not be tooooo bad if they wear white shorts. That and the WC-GC clash probably won't be any worse than NM-Coll last Saturday.

Adelaide v St Kilda: dunno if the solution is to flip a coin, or if St Kilda just save it for a home game... but if I had to guess I'd say there's no solution and we'll be left with something similar to the debacle below.

gwsfremaflw2017.jpg

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
More white on the back of Geelong's, it might not be tooooo bad if they wear white shorts. That and the WC-GC clash probably won't be any worse than NM-Coll last Saturday.

Adelaide v St Kilda: dunno if the solution is to flip a coin, or if St Kilda just save it for a home game... but if I had to guess I'd say there's no solution and we'll be left with something similar to the debacle below.

View attachment 1064264

This might just be the most farcical modern era match-up ever. Did one side end up changing shorts?

This might just be the most farcical modern era match-up ever. Did one side end up changing shorts?
Yeah the Giants did, at QT or maybe half-time, not that it helped much. The match fittingly ended in a draw.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

More farcical than those silly conferences. But at least this year they can blame it on corona, but two year’s ago conferences were bloody minded madness. All up not being fair compromises everything.

Back