AFLW AFLW 2021 - Suns Sisters Sophomore Slog

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's a very young team. Some older players are past of it. Plenty of talent on the team and more is joining next draft, some key players returning from injuries. New girls like Single, D'Arcy, Levi were great this year. Levi produced some unbelievable tackles in this game.

In most games Suns were more than equal in the middle. Regularly beaten on outside spread and did not sustain work rate for 4 quarters. Yesterday, after great start, it looked like physically they could not go with Carlton in the 2nd half which was really disappointing. Bella started the game well but was absolutely schooled in the second half. No stopping of Carlton winning clearances in the 2nd half.
I believe the best female junior in Queensland will be joining our team later this year - Teagan Levi. Some believe she is better than her sister Madi and has absolutely dominated games alongside Lucy Single while playing for Bond University. Our academy is producing some very talented players at the moment but Teagan Levi may just be the best of the lot so far.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I believe the best female junior in Queensland will be joining our team later this year - Teagan Levi. Some believe she is better than her sister Madi and has absolutely dominated games alongside Lucy Single while playing for Bond University. Our academy is producing some very talented players at the moment but Teagan Levi may just be the best of the lot so far.
Yes, I watched her last year vs Lions academy. She is a ripper. Just wondering if twin sisters from North QLD will make it.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes, I watched her last year vs Lions academy. She is a ripper. Just wondering if twin sisters from North QLD will make it.
Ah yes. The Cockatoo twins from Cairns - Litonya and Laquoiya. Both have moved down to the Gold Coast this year to chase the dream and play for Coolangatta in the QAFLW. Would be an amazing story if both got drafted but even just one getting draft would be a nice story given the famous bloodline with uncle/former Essendon & Port Adelaide player Che and cousin/current Lion Nakia Cockatoo in the men's league.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One more thing from me on AFLW. The competition went to another level this year. All those people crapping on AFLW should eat their words. It's a very watchable product (at least for me) especially teams that are there from the beginning. For example, Lions play a beautiful style. All that while girls are part-time players with normal jobs.

Teams that joined the competition the same year as SUNS are not that much better. They would probably struggle as much as SUNS if they had the same s**t fixture and a couple of key injuries.

I still can't get over the loss to Eagles. Girls dominated 75-80% of the game.

Time to experience the first W this season against Cats in person.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ah yes. The Cockatoo twins from Cairns - Litonya and Laquoiya. Both have moved down to the Gold Coast this year to chase the dream and play for Coolangatta in the QAFLW. Would be an amazing story if both got drafted but even just one getting draft would be a nice story given the famous bloodline with uncle/former Essendon & Port Adelaide player Che and cousin/current Lion Nakia Cockatoo in the men's league.

Are they going to PBC?

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Been enjoying the W season so far.
The Suns are a bit worse than I thought we would be, but a few other teams are a lot better.

The better teams seem to have a few very good 'original' players who have done a bunch of pre-seasons, plus some gun youngsters in the midfield. I don't think we have enough of either.

Stanton is very good, but the other originals are Ok at best. If we had not done well with non-originals like Ahrens, Pregelj and Howarth we would really be in strife.

If some of the youngsters coming through are good skilful mids, we will be a lot better. The best young mids have very good skills, especially kicking. That helps with both keeping possession and getting the ball inside 30m to a dangerous place. If Lucy Single could kick and hand pass.....hopefully that gets better b/c she has everything else. Levi and D'Arcy both look like they will be very good but we need some good kicking mids.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Been enjoying the W season so far.
The Suns are a bit worse than I thought we would be, but a few other teams are a lot better.

The better teams seem to have a few very good 'original' players who have done a bunch of pre-seasons, plus some gun youngsters in the midfield. I don't think we have enough of either.

Stanton is very good, but the other originals are Ok at best. If we had not done well with non-originals like Ahrens, Pregelj and Howarth we would really be in strife.

If some of the youngsters coming through are good skilful mids, we will be a lot better. The best young mids have very good skills, especially kicking. That helps with both keeping possession and getting the ball inside 30m to a dangerous place. If Lucy Single could kick and hand pass.....hopefully that gets better b/c she has everything else. Levi and D'Arcy both look like they will be very good but we need some good kicking mids.
Yeah, inability to deliver the ball deep inside 50 and lock it there is one of glaring deficiencies.

I am more optimistic about our midfield. Basically, every game we are right there regarding hit outs, clearances, contested balls, tackles. What we do with the ball, spread, turnovers is the main issue for me. Yeah, a deep kick would be handy. Oppositions also move the ball way too easy on rebound and cut us open.

We do need to improve tank. Horwarth is a prime example for me. She is quite disappointing this year.

Last edited:

RogueRen

Senior List
Apr 17, 2016
Ocean Grove
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Los Angeles Rams
Yeah...Seriously I’d be looking at David Lake, he has worked with this group for over two years and we’ve gone backwards. Cannot get anything out of the most of the team. It’s total unwatchable and embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
79f561a0a15e9492c87a427645d0a67c.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back