Women's Footy AFLW 2022 - Alyce Parker named in AA Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Three Giants women in this week's team - well done ladies!

Tarni Evans (GWS), Shelley Heath (Melbourne), Emma Kearney (North Melbourne), Breanna Koenen (Brisbane), Stacey Livingstone (Collingwood)

Evans (12, four intercepts and a goal) set the tone for GWS.

Alice Edmonds (Western Bulldogs, ruck), Monique Conti (Richmond), Sophie Conway (Brisbane), Jasmine Garner (North Melbourne), Alyce Parker (GWS), Liv Purcell (Melbourne)

Parker (30, 11 clearance) controlled play against Hawthorn.

Sophie Alexander (Essendon), Greta Bodey (Brisbane), Georgia Garnett (GWS), Sofia Hurley (Sydney), Courtney Wakefield (Richmond)

Garnett (20, eight marks and a goal) was the crucial link for the Giants.

Defender Tarni Evans has been named as a round eight nominee for the Season Seven NAB AFLW Rising Star.

Playing in her 17th career game, Evans kicked the GIANTS’ first goal at Henson Park yesterday with the long bomb from outside 50m also marking the 20-year-old’s first career goal. Evans was amongst the action for the entirety of the game with her clean kicking and defensive pressure on display. The young defender has been one of the GIANTS' most consistent performers so far this season, averaging 14.6 disposals, 5.1 handballs and 2.1 tackles.

The Tathra local joined the GIANTS at pick nine in the 2020 draft and went on to play seven games in her debut season. Sidelined for majority of season six with a foot injury, Evans’ form so far this season has been impressive. Evans becomes the second Rising Star nominee for the club in three weeks, with fellow AFL Canberra recruit Emily Pease receiving a nomination in round six.

Coach Cam Bernasconi said he was rapt for Evans. “Tarni is having an exceptional season and her goal yesterday was sensational,” he said. “She’s worked so hard to improve her game this year and deserves this recognition – it’s been a long time coming, she’s been in some great form. To have had two players nominated in the past three weeks is not only a great reward for the players but also an exciting recognition for our young team.”

:thumbsu:

AFLW Round 9

Richmond v GIANTS
Sunday, October 23 at 3:10pm
Latje Latje Land | Mildura Sporting Precinct

Broadcast

Sunday’s match between the Tigers and GIANTS will be shown live and free on 7Mate in NSW and ACT from 3:00pm.

The match will also be shown nationally on Fox Footy, Kayo Sports and via the Official AFLW app.

AFLW S7 Rd 9 v Richmond

The GIANTS have made one change for their tussle with the Tigers in Mildura on Sunday.

Haneen Zreika will return for the round nine match following being unavailable for selection last week. Zreika will replace Grace Hill who has been omitted following three games in the orange and charcoal.

The GIANTS will be looking to secure back-to-back wins for the first time on Sunday. However, it won’t come easy as the in-form Tigers will be looking to make it seven straight wins and secure their spot in the top four. The match will be played at Mildura Sporting Precinct and it will be the first time the venue has hosted an AFLW match for competition points.

The match will get underway at 3:10pm and will be live and free on 7Mate from 3:00pm.

Richmond v Greater Western Sydney at Mildura Sporting Precinct, 3.10pm AEDT

RICHMOND

B:
L.McClelland 16 L.Graham 18
HB: B.Lynch 20 K.Cox 17 R.Miller 15
C: E.Sheerin 31 E.McKenzie 22 T.Lavey 37
HF: J.Hosking 11 S.Hosking 7 M.Kiely 13
F: K.Brennan - C 3 C.Wakefield 8
Foll: G.Seymour 28 M.Conti 4 G.Egan 2
I/C: S.Reid 25 J.Woods 29 K.Dempsey 19 M.Macdonald 38 E.Yassir 27

Emerg: M.Brancatisano 5 S.D'Arcy 12 S.Taylor 34

In: R.Miller
Out: K.Jacques (omitted)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
T.Hetherington 9 A.Lister 14
HB: K.Smith 4 T.Evans 18 B.Stack 15
C: J.Hicks 29 E.Goodsir 1 M.Brazendale 23
HF: N.Barr 8 H.Zreika 24 C.Staunton 13
F: Z.Goldsworthy 7 G.Garnett 17
Foll: C.McCormick 25 A.Parker 3 A.Eva - C 2
I/C: J.Grierson 10 M.Gaffney 22 A.Dallaway 30 B.Mowbray 31 J.Doyle 5

Emerg: T.Cattle 40 Z.Hamilton 35 G.Fowler 26

In: H.Zreika
Out: G.Hill (omitted)

Richmond star Monique Conti has put in another dazzling display to help her side surge into the AFLW top four with a 43-point win over the GIANTS. Conti shone in wet and windy conditions, kicking three goals from a game-high 23 disposals as the Tigers posted a 9.4 (58) to 2.3 (15) victory in Mildura. The margin gave Richmond a massive percentage boost that lifted it above Collingwood into fourth spot with one round left to play.

Conti was a class above, calm in traffic and busy around contests, and laid a game-high eight tackles. The 22-year-old midfielder had plenty of assistance from capable teammates, with Grace Egan (19 disposals, one goal) and Jess Hosking (18, one) both influential. Gabrielle Seymour (16 disposals) was busy and Stella Reid kicked two goals, while defender Bec Miller made a successful return after five weeks out with a hamstring injury.

The Tigers made use of a stiff breeze to build a 26-point lead by quarter-time on the back of a 13-0 differential in forward entries. The GIANTS trimmed the margin by eight points in the second term and Richmond made them pay in the third, with two Conti goals putting the result beyond doubt. Neither side managed to score into the wind until the final term, when Brennan kicked a behind before setting up a goal for local star Courtney Wakefield.

Alyce Parker (18 diposals, one goal) was the GIANTS' best, while captain Alicia Eva (13) battled away despite requiring treatment on a right foot injury early in the match.

Up Next

The GIANTS take on Gold Coast at Henson Park next Sunday.

RICHMOND 4.2 4.2. 7.3 9.4 (58)
GIANTS 0.0 1.2. 1.2 2.3 (15)

GOALS

Richmond
: Conti 3, Reid 2, J.Hosking, Egan, Brennan, Wakefield
GIANTS: Parker, Barr

BEST

Richmond
: Conti, Egan, J.Hosking, Seymour, McKenzie
GIANTS: Parker, Barr, Evans, Eva

INJURIES

Richmond
: Nil
GIANTS: Eva (Foot)

LATE CHANGES

Richmond
: Nil
Greater Western Sydney: Nil

AFLW Round 10

GIANTS v Gold Coast
Sunday, October 30 at 5:10pm
Gadigal Country | Henson Park

Gates open at 4:10pm

Round 10 is FREE!

To celebrate our final home game in Sydney for season seven, entry is FREE for all patrons!

Harvey Norman

Enjoy giveaways and festivities courtesy of match day partner Harvey Norman!

Grab a photo with family and friends in the Harvey Norman photobooth, take on the Dance Cam to win your very own JBL Clip 2 Waterproof Speaker, or simply watch all action from the Harvey Norman Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few short weeks ago she kicked goal #50, now she's up for game #50. The incomparable, evergreen Gaellic warrior, Cora Staunton!

Hope she does come back next year - even at 40, she runs rings around many in the comp (although admittedly, she seems to have dropped off a bit this year).

CORA Staunton will rack up a significant milestone this weekend, but Greater Western Sydney's Irish star is still undecided on whether she will play on in 2023. Staunton, the first international player signed to an AFLW list in 2017, will play her 50th game against Gold Coast on Sunday in the final round of the season.

However, the 40-year-old said she would return to her homeland in the off-season before deciding on the prospect of playing a seventh season or not. "I don't like any of that attention," Staunton said on Wednesday when asked about her future. "I normally assess at the end of the season, see where I'm at. I probably need to go home because you're in a little bit of a bubble here and it's very hard to make a decision. This is the first time when I've gone home we don't have a Gaelic football season, we're in winter at home, there's no football to go home to. It's nice to go home and rest up, I probably haven't done that in a long time. I'm looking forward to that and the decision will come on the back of that."

With her decorated Gaelic career for Mayo still well and truly going when she signed for the Giants, Staunton adapted quickly to the Sherrin. Not only will Sunday be her 50th consecutive game, but Staunton is also third on the all-time AFLW goalkickers list with 54, trailing only Tayla Harris (57) and Darcy Vescio (55).

"I thought I was going to be here for one season, to be honest," she said. "Even on the plane on the way over to Australia for my first season I was thinking 'this is a one-year thing'. I've surprised myself I've lasted this long, It's a very physical game. It's tough on your body. When I came over here first, God did I even think I'd play five or 10 games? Probably not, but the years have flown by."

Staunton said it was her competitive drive that kept her playing as long as she has. Having conquered Gaelic football, soccer and rugby union previously, she said it was now team success she craved. "When I came over in 2017 I was one of the top players from a Gaelic football sense and you come to AFL and you're at the bottom of the ladder. I was right down at (number) 30 in the Giants squad and way further down in the League. You want to try and challenge yourself to get better. You just become really competitive. Then you fall in love with the club … become really passionate about it and want to see the team succeed. I'm at an age now where it's not about individual awards, I just want to see the team do well and the club do really well and get to finals and be recognised for all the hard work they put in."

Thank you Cora, we love you too! Please come back next year.

AFLW S7 Rd 10 v Suns

It’s a fairy-tale finish to season seven for Tess Cattle who will make her AFLW debut in round 10 on Sunday afternoon.

Cattle is a graduate of the GIANTS Academy, with the 18-year-old selected at pick 86 in the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft in June this year. The Canberran is a contested ball winner and whilst she has been training in the backline, has the versatility to play all across the ground.

“Tess has been working really hard so it’s really pleasing to be able to reward her with a game and debut this weekend,” said Cam Bernasconi. “She’s another piece to the puzzle of the exciting future that this club has and another exciting young talent. I look forward to seeing what she can add to the group this weekend.”

Cattle is the only change for the GIANTS, replacing Jess Doyle who has been omitted for the final game of the season.

While Sunday’s match will be game one for Cattle, it will mark veteran Cora Staunton’s 50th AFLW game. Staunton becomes just the second player at the GIANTS to reach the milestone and has played 50 consecutive matches.

The GIANTS will host the Gold Coast Suns at Henson Park on Sunday at 5:10pm and to celebrate the end of the GIANTS’ season, entry is FREE for all patrons.

Greater Western Sydney v Gold Coast at Henson Park, 5.10pm AEDT

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
HB: J.Hicks 29 T.Evans 18 B.Stack 15
C: A.Eva - C 2 E.Goodsir 1 M.Brazendale 23
Foll: C.McCormick 25 A.Parker 3 A.Dallaway 30
I/C: J.Grierson 10 K.Smith 4 M.Gaffney 22 T.Cattle 40 B.Mowbray 31

Emerg: J.Doyle 5 G.Hill 19 G.Fowler 26

In: T.Cattle
Out: J.Doyle (omitted)

GOLD COAST

B:
K.Scott 21 V.Saad 39
HB: D.D'Arcy 20 L.Ahrens 7 G.Clayden 18
C: S.Danckert 9 C.Rowbottom 8 T.Meyer 34
HF: C.Jones 5 T.Bohanna - C 12 L.Single 13
F: K.Kimber 38 K.Howarth 23
Foll: L.Bella 2 E.Hampson 1 A.Drennan 33
I/C: C.Whitfort 4 J.Dupuy 27 W.Randell 15 A.Bush 19 E.Keaney 30

Emerg: J.Smith 40 A.Atkins 37 G.Davies 22

In: K.Scott
Out: S.Watson (injured)

https://www.womens.afl/tickets/buy-tickets

It’s a fairy-tale finish to season seven for Tess Cattle who will make her AFLW debut in round 10 on Sunday afternoon.

Cattle is a graduate of the GIANTS Academy, with the 18-year-old selected at pick 86 in the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft in June this year. The Canberran is a contested ball winner and whilst she has been training in the backline, has the versatility to play all across the ground.

“Tess has been working really hard so it’s really pleasing to be able to reward her with a game and debut this weekend,” said Cam Bernasconi. “She’s another piece to the puzzle of the exciting future that this club has and another exciting young talent. I look forward to seeing what she can add to the group this weekend.”

Cattle is the only change for the GIANTS, replacing Jess Doyle who has been omitted for the final game of the season.

While Sunday’s match will be game one for Cattle, it will mark veteran Cora Staunton’s 50th AFLW game. Staunton becomes just the second player at the GIANTS to reach the milestone and has played 50 consecutive matches.

The GIANTS will host the Gold Coast Suns at Henson Park on Sunday at 5:10pm and to celebrate the end of the GIANTS’ season, entry is FREE for all patrons.

Greater Western Sydney v Gold Coast at Henson Park, 5.10pm AEDT

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
HB: J.Hicks 29 T.Evans 18 B.Stack 15
C: A.Eva - C 2 E.Goodsir 1 M.Brazendale 23
Foll: C.McCormick 25 A.Parker 3 A.Dallaway 30
I/C: J.Grierson 10 K.Smith 4 M.Gaffney 22 T.Cattle 40 B.Mowbray 31

Emerg: J.Doyle 5 G.Hill 19 G.Fowler 26

In: T.Cattle
Out: J.Doyle (omitted)

GOLD COAST

B:
K.Scott 21 V.Saad 39
HB: D.D'Arcy 20 L.Ahrens 7 G.Clayden 18
C: S.Danckert 9 C.Rowbottom 8 T.Meyer 34
HF: C.Jones 5 T.Bohanna - C 12 L.Single 13
F: K.Kimber 38 K.Howarth 23
Foll: L.Bella 2 E.Hampson 1 A.Drennan 33
I/C: C.Whitfort 4 J.Dupuy 27 W.Randell 15 A.Bush 19 E.Keaney 30

Emerg: J.Smith 40 A.Atkins 37 G.Davies 22

In: K.Scott
Out: S.Watson (injured)

The Home of AFL Women's - AFL Tickets

On this special occasion of Tess being named to play her first game, it's worth remembering the tale of her nickname

GREATER Western Sydney has maintained its perfect record against Gold Coast with its fourth consecutive win in the head-to-head battle to close out the home and away portion of AFLW season seven. The Giants celebrated Cora Staunton's 50th game in style, defeating the Suns 7.2 (44) to 4.8 (32) as the sun set on Henson Park.

GWS got the fast start through the milestone woman herself, with Cora Staunton kicking an impressive goal from outside 50 less than a minute into the game and looked powerful in attack from thereon in. The Giants wanted to play fast, attacking footy - the style of play the club indicated would be a focus before the season even began. In doing so they were able to cut through the Suns' defences early and kick five first-half goals, their second highest half time score of the season.

Georgia Garnett spearheaded their attacking line providing the Giants not only with an option in front of goal, kicking three goals from 14 disposals, but also getting higher up the ground and using her reliable marking to create a link into the forward 50. Garnett was then swung into defence late in the game to sure up the backline and allowing retiring Giants stalwart Tanya Hetherington some time in attack for the first time in her 46 games.

The exciting, damaging Gold Coast side of recent weeks was stunned by the aggressive pressure applied by the Giants as the visitors struggled to find any systematic forward movement. Jodie Hicks continued her resurgence this season, driving the ball out of defence and gaining 407 metres from her 13 disposals, while Annalyse Lister played her best game of the season as a lockdown defensive option.

50 games for Cora

Cora Staunton has checked off another record for Irish imports in the AFLW. She was the first Irish player in the competition, the first to kick 50 goals - and the third player ever - and now Staunton is the first to play 50 games. In true Cora Staunton style, she kicked the opening goal of the game from outside 50 and looked dangerous for the duration, taking her season tally to eight goals from 10 games.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 3.0 5.1 6.1 7.2 (44)
GOLD COAST 1.1 2.3 2.6 4.8 (32)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney:
Garnett 3, Staunton, Zreika, Mowbray, Goldsworthy
Gold Coast: Bush 2, Hampson, Howarth

BEST
Greater Western Sydney:
Garnett, Hicks, Parker, Lister
Gold Coast: Rowbottom, Drennan, Saad, Dupuy

INJURIES
Greater Western Sydney:
Nil
Gold Coast: Nil

Reports: Nil

GREATER Western Sydney stalwart Tanya Hetherington has retired after 46 AFLW matches, but her time at the Giants may not be done quite yet.

The 37-year-old has been a much-loved player at the Giants and in her pre-AFLW career at VWFL side Diamond Creek, where she captained the team and even coached while sidelined with a torn ACL. Giants coach Cam Bernasconi indicated Hetherington may move into the coaching department at GWS now that her playing days are behind her. "Tanya made the decision to retire during the week, and she's a fantastic person," Bernasconi said after Sunday's win over Gold Coast. "Not just a great servant as a player in the footy program, but what she's done for this young group off the field is probably even more important. Her genuine care for others around her – even in my first season as coach, she's helped me so much. Her footy IQ is so good. We said she deserves every bit of recognition she gets tonight and over the next couple of weeks. I don't think her journey within the Giants is finished. It might be as a player, but the value she can add in a coaching, leadership and mentoring sense going forward, she's going to still be an integral part, hopefully, of our footy program for the next number of years."

Hetherington made the move to Sydney ahead of the 2018 season, selected with pick No.37 in the 2017 NAB AFLW Draft, the Giants' second pick overall behind Jodie Hicks.

Congratulations to Alyce Parker, named in the initial All Australia squad for season 7.

Alyce Parker has been named in a 42-player All Australian squad for her efforts in season seven of the NAB AFL Women’s competition.

Parker was among the best not only for the GIANTS this season but across all 18 teams. She finished the 10-round season averaging 23.3 disposals, 5.6 clearances, 10.3 handballs and 3.9 marks.

In just her five seasons in the competition, the 22-year-old has been named in three All-Australian squads (2020, 2021 and 2022-S7) and made the final 21-player team twice, in 2020 and 2021.

A final team of 21 players, including a captain and vice-captain, will be announced at the W Awards to be held on Tuesday, November 22.

Alyce Parker.png

A trio of GIANTS have been listed in the AFL Players Association AFLW 22-under-22 squad of 44 players.

Off the back of Tuesday’s All Australian Squad selection Alyce Parker was one of the three GIANTS named. The GIANTS’ vice-captain was listed alongside emerging talents Georgia Garnett and Tarni Evans.

The fan-voted concept recognises the league’s best young players aged 22 and under who have made an impact on their club and the competition. For a player to be eligible for the squad of 44, they were required to play 50 percent of the season games, equating to five matches for season seven.

Parker continued to be one of the most impressive midfielders in the competition this season, finishing the 10-round competition averaging 23.3 disposals, 5.6 clearances, 10.3 handballs and 3.9 marks. If selected in the final team, this will be Parker’s fourth 22-under-22 recognition.

Garnett had arguably one of her best seasons as she took on a new-look role up forward in season seven. She led the league with 58 marks and sat second to Cora Staunton for goals scored for the GIANTS.

After an injury disrupted season earlier this year, Evans catapulted herself back onto the scene, as one of the most consistent players in the GIANTS’ line up. One of the GIANTS’ core defenders, she finished the season averaging 14.7 disposals, 4.9 intercept possessions, 3.7 rebound 50’s and was nominated for the AFLW Goal of the Year in round 8.

VOTE for the GWS nominees at the link above.

Congratulations to Alyce Parker, named in the initial All Australia squad for season 7.

Alyce Parker has been named in a 42-player All Australian squad for her efforts in season seven of the NAB AFL Women’s competition.

Parker was among the best not only for the GIANTS this season but across all 18 teams. She finished the 10-round season averaging 23.3 disposals, 5.6 clearances, 10.3 handballs and 3.9 marks.

In just her five seasons in the competition, the 22-year-old has been named in three All-Australian squads (2020, 2021 and 2022-S7) and made the final 21-player team twice, in 2020 and 2021.

A final team of 21 players, including a captain and vice-captain, will be announced at the W Awards to be held on Tuesday, November 22.

View attachment 1550802
If Parker is not AA this year, then the selection panel has no idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back