AFLW AFLW 2022 - general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thoughts and stats from today’s match (sorry long post)…

The match was lost in the 1st quarter, The board held up by the coaches at QT read…

RELAX
Workrate - CRAP
Chase - CRAP
Voice - Settle

Collingwood were…

+6 inside 50s
+10 shots
+23% forward half-kicking efficiency
+46% time in forward half
+12% tackle efficiency

We kicked it straight to them in their forward half 4 times, that’s 4 times.

Collingwood took 7 uncontested marks in their F50 in Q1 and of their 7 D50 chains, 3 of them ended up in a F50 entry (43%), we had 15 D50 chains with only 1 ending up in a F50 entry (7%).

Many teams would’ve folded after a first quarter like that and the match really should’ve been over at QT but Collingwood’s inaccuracy kept us in it.

Frankly, I couldn’t be more proud of our efforts after QT, kicking 5.5 to 4.4, +5% kicking efficiency, +10 tackles, +9% tackle efficiency, and +17 contested possessions.

Every player lifted and had some impact on the match with our pressure off the chart after QT.

It should also be noted that we fielded the youngest ever AFLW finals side with 7 players U21 and 3 U17 (the only 17 year olds playing all weekend).

There is plenty to work on over the off-season primarily our forward structure and ball transition but if for the most part, we can keep this list together it certainly bodes well for the future.

Now as always…

Centre Bounce Attendance

14 - Blackburn
11 - Fitzgerald
10 - Edmonds
7 - Lamb
6 - Berry
4 - Moody
2 - Bennetts, Coyne

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
32 - Edmonds (18 / 7 / 5)
13 - Moody (5 / 2 / 0)
2 - Cranston (0 / 0 / 0)
1 - Newton (0 / 0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 9
CW: 4

Edmonds v Barnett (23 contests)
Hitouts: 14 / 8
To Advantage: 5 / 1
Clearances: 8 / 9
Score: 1.0 (6) / 2.2 (14)

Edmonds v Downie (6 contests)
Hitouts: 2 / 3
To Advantage: 1 / 2
Clearances: 2 / 4
Score: 1.0 (6) / 1.0 (6)

Moody v Barnett (11 contests)
Hitouts: 5 / 3
To Advantage: 2 / 1
Clearances: 4 / 5
Score: 0.1 (1) / 0.0 (0)

Moody v Downie (2 contests)
Hitouts: 0 / 2
To Advantage: 0 / 0
Clearances: 1 / 0
Score: 0.0 (0) / 0.0 (0)

First Possessions
WB: 23

CW: 18

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 19 / 15
CW: 19 / 12

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 74%
CW: 69%

Smothers
WB: 6

CW: 8

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 48%
CW: 50%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 68%
CW: 57%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 9
CW: 1

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 2
CW: 1

Score Launches
2 - Edmonds
1 - Bateman, Berry, Blackburn, Cranston, Lynch, Moody, Snell

Shots At Goal
WB: 10 (50%)
CW: 20 (25%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Collingwood)
Set Shot: 3.1 / 3.3
Snap: 1.1 / 1.0
On Run: 0.0 / 1.2
Mark Play On: 1.0 / 0.2
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 2.0 / 0.0
15M-30M: 3.2 / 3.3
31M-40M: 0.0 / 2.2
41M-50M: 0.0 / 0.2
51M+: 0.0 / 0.0

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 1.1 / 2.2

Targets Inside 50

10 - No target
3 - Hartwig, Moody, Newton, Wilcox, Woodley
1 - Blackburn, Cranston, Fitzgerald

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 22
CW: 10

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 6

CW: 6

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 26
CW: 22

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 36

CW: 35

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 18
CW: 14

Unforced Turnovers By Player
4 - Georgostathis
3 - Grant
2 - Fitzgerald, Hartwig, Newton
1 - Blackburn, Hunt, Lamb, Pritchard, Snell

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 3

CW: 4

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Bennetts, Newton

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
199 - Lynch
161 - Lamb
129 - Blackburn
109 - Edmonds
106 - Newton
101 - Ferres
92 - Bateman
86 - Pritchard
83 - Cranston
81 - Hartwig
75 - Snell
74 - Grant
67 - Hunt
60 - Berry
59 - Moody
54 - Bennetts
52 - Fitzgerald
47 - Coyne
43 - Georgostathis
36 - Woodley
27 - Wilcox

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 27%
CW: 73%

Q2
WB: 56%
CW: 44%

Q3
WB: 56%
CW: 44%

Q4
WB: 45%
CW: 55%

Match
WB: 46%
CW: 54%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 173
CW: 176

Q2
WB: 213
CW: 194

Q3
WB: 235
CW: 185

Q4
WB: 208
CW: 196

Match
WB: 204
CW: 188

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1549898

Score Sources
View attachment 1549899

Player Stats Table
View attachment 1549900

kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

Just getting around to looking at these stats - is it correct that Pritchard had 0 centre bounce attendances?
That just doesn't seem right to me - not that I remember her specifically attending any bounces but she does have a cbc attributed to her - maybe just coming in off the wing?

The reason that it caught my eye is because I do feel like she should be attending more bounces than she does. She led the team for clearances and contested possessions (tied with Lamb for CP and Blackburn for CLR) and the Bontesque way she lifts her arms out of traffic is such a massive asset around the stoppages. She often draws in opponents, which creates space for her team mates and she is great at releasing a handball under heavy duress.

I don't understand why she isn't used in the centre more - I can only assume that her stoppage craft or spread is not quite where it needs to be.

I also feel like Fitzy could be better utilised with less time on the ball. She has done a great job as that third midfielder but I think she is so gassed a lot of the time that some of that flash and creativity we saw in her first season has been lost. We really need to get some of that back because those moments that can spark a scoring chain are so critical in AFLW.

I really hope we are planning to add another key cog to our midfield this offseason as we are relying far too heavily on 3 girls. If there is not an obvious internal candidate to step up I hope we are aggressively looking to trade someone in. It would be a good season to trade for players as the 19+ draft is going to be light on for talent.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The AFL website has just put out it’s predicted All Australian team.
We pick the All-Australian team: Who's in, who's stiff to miss?
Lynch was selected in the back line but Edmonds was omitted. She didn’t even get mentioned in the handful of players unlucky to miss. I haven’t watched anywhere near enough AFLW this year to assess the entire comp, but based on stats Edmonds seems like a lock.

This is an opinion piece so I wasn’t too phased, but it reminded me that throughout the year I felt we were being consistently underrepresented in the AFL website team of the week each week.

I did a quick tally of how many times a Bulldog player was included compared to all the teams that didn’t make the 8. Of the 10 teams that missed finals 6 had as many or more selections than we did. The tally is below. *(I couldn't find the team of the week for round 3 so it hasn't been included.)

Gold Coast - 5 wins – 13 nominations for team of the week

Fremantle - 3 wins – 11 nominations for team of the week

Carlton – 2 wins – 11 nominations for team of the week

GWS – 4 wins - 10 nominations for team of the week

Essendon - 4 wins - 8 nominations for team of the week

West Coast - 2 wins - 8 nominations for team of the week

Bulldogs - 7 wins - 8 nominations for team of the week

Again, I realise that ‘team of the week’ is an inconsequential opinion piece but those numbers seem way off.

To put it into perspective, we won as many games as West Coast, Carlton and Fremantle put together, yet those 3 teams combined had nearly 4 times the number of nominations that we did.

I hope that the AFL media bias against Bevo and the men’s team isn’t seeping through into the women’s media.
As a footnote to this - not one of these teams collectively received more AFLW B&F votes than we did.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The AFL website has just put out it’s predicted All Australian team.
We pick the All-Australian team: Who's in, who's stiff to miss?
Lynch was selected in the back line but Edmonds was omitted. She didn’t even get mentioned in the handful of players unlucky to miss. I haven’t watched anywhere near enough AFLW this year to assess the entire comp, but based on stats Edmonds seems like a lock.

This is an opinion piece so I wasn’t too phased, but it reminded me that throughout the year I felt we were being consistently underrepresented in the AFL website team of the week each week.

I did a quick tally of how many times a Bulldog player was included compared to all the teams that didn’t make the 8. Of the 10 teams that missed finals 6 had as many or more selections than we did. The tally is below. *(I couldn't find the team of the week for round 3 so it hasn't been included.)

Gold Coast - 5 wins – 13 nominations for team of the week

Fremantle - 3 wins – 11 nominations for team of the week

Carlton – 2 wins – 11 nominations for team of the week

GWS – 4 wins - 10 nominations for team of the week

Essendon - 4 wins - 8 nominations for team of the week

West Coast - 2 wins - 8 nominations for team of the week

Bulldogs - 7 wins - 8 nominations for team of the week

Again, I realise that ‘team of the week’ is an inconsequential opinion piece but those numbers seem way off.

To put it into perspective, we won as many games as West Coast, Carlton and Fremantle put together, yet those 3 teams combined had nearly 4 times the number of nominations that we did.

I hope that the AFL media bias against Bevo and the men’s team isn’t seeping through into the women’s media.

Can't say too much but will say that the club is not too happy with the AFL and wider media with the lack of coverage and in particular the team of the week and AA selection.

Obviously, awards should not be front of mind but when players are breaking records and are missing out on selection it has raised eyebrows.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just getting around to looking at these stats - is it correct that Pritchard had 0 centre bounce attendances?
That just doesn't seem right to me - not that I remember her specifically attending any bounces but she does have a cbc attributed to her - maybe just coming in off the wing?

The reason that it caught my eye is because I do feel like she should be attending more bounces than she does. She led the team for clearances and contested possessions (tied with Lamb for CP and Blackburn for CLR) and the Bontesque way she lifts her arms out of traffic is such a massive asset around the stoppages. She often draws in opponents, which creates space for her team mates and she is great at releasing a handball under heavy duress.

I don't understand why she isn't used in the centre more - I can only assume that her stoppage craft or spread is not quite where it needs to be.

I also feel like Fitzy could be better utilised with less time on the ball. She has done a great job as that third midfielder but I think she is so gassed a lot of the time that some of that flash and creativity we saw in her first season has been lost. We really need to get some of that back because those moments that can spark a scoring chain are so critical in AFLW.

I really hope we are planning to add another key cog to our midfield this offseason as we are relying far too heavily on 3 girls. If there is not an obvious internal candidate to step up I hope we are aggressively looking to trade someone in. It would be a good season to trade for players as the 19+ draft is going to be light on for talent.

Correct, Pritchard did not attend any centre bounces in the final, this is how we went at every CB...

CBA.png

Pritchard attended just 6 centre bounces across the 2022B season and I agree we should give her some more time in there as she can win the ball on the ground as well as the air, which is rare for someone of that height. She is actually the third tallest midfielder in the competition at 178cm.

I like the combination of Blackburn, Lamb and Fitzgerald in the centre but we do desperately need another decent midfielder who can rotate through. This season we were kinda forced to rely strictly on those 3 with Newton moving forward and Georgostathis moving back. Berry rotated through and E. Brown did come back into the midfield group in the second half of the season but she is far better suited as a defender.

Bennetts has been very good as that inside/outside mid but she'll be 34 at the start of next season and long term I think Pritchard can indeed replace her.

Can't say too much but will say that the club is not too happy with the AFL and wider media with the lack of coverage and in particular the team of the week and AA selection.

Obviously, awards should not be front of mind but when players are breaking records and are missing out on selection it has raised eyebrows.
How many games of AFLW do you think Andrew Dillon watched

Can anyone elaborate on the Daisy Pearce comments from her post-game speech when she said "We don't give away cars to players that come to us"?

Is this something that's a little suspect?

Can anyone elaborate on the Daisy Pearce comments from her post-game speech when she said "We don't give away cars to players that come to us"?

Is this something that's a little suspect?
North Melbourne are sponsored by Mazda

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back