AFLW AFLW 2022 - general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Early days but I've seen little to get me excited about this season so far. Can't wait to see the new clubs join the comp in the next couple of years and take even more of our top end talent so we spend the next 5 years down the bottom.
:sadv1:
Maybe it's the chance to pick a few good ball users with our high draft picks and compo picks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a law against GWS babies!

[One of their players was interviewed saying they were proud of their babies - fair enough too, they did very well]

Last edited:
We matched the opposition in general play but their finishing skills were much better.
It may be common to several teams but our bottom 5 or 6 players seem below the level of their opponents.
Still, the girls never gave up and with a bit more luck, the score could have been tighter.

gotta admit I am a bit confused. There was a GWS player who sat out the game because they did not want to wear the pride jumper based on religous grounds

How did they even make to AFLW level without being exposed th LGBT+ throughout their juinor playing days

Oh, I get it. They are from western Sydney. I guess one stereotype is worth another

Did not watch a lot of the game*, will review tomorrow but did catch enough to hear Leigh Montagna say something like Bulldogs players getting frustrated with the umpiring

Seems par

* I was walking my cats. It was the first time this week we were able to get off the front porch without melting. They loved it, I loved it and no Ragrets

Very disappointing with the whole thing this year. We started off as trailblazers of the whole women's comp and now we're suffering for it. Plus injuries, covid disruptions...not very interested I'm afraid.

Obviously COVID and the two-week break did us no favours and we were clearly struggling with fitness but there were some horrible no pressure errors that should never happen regardless of fitness.

Lagioia having a 1% chance shot when we had a player right in the goal square is just unforgivable and it resulted in a coast to coast to goal for the Giants.

Morris-Dalton with a blatant push in the back with Blackburn completely open in the goal again completely unnecessary.

Not killing deep defensive 50 entries cost us dearly in the first quarter in R1 and again in the first quarter this evening.

Having said that our effort cannot be overstated and if it wasn’t for our horrendous accuracy both by foot in general play and in front of goal we would’ve won.

The fact that we generated 6 scores to 3, had 12 more inside 50s and 16 more contested possessions just shows we should've won easily.

With The Breeze

Inside 50s

WB: 20
GW: 15

Shots At Goal
WB: 10 (2 goals at 20% accuracy)
GW: 6 (4 goals at 67% accuracy)

Kicking Efficiency
WB: 46%
GW: 53%

Against The Breeze

Inside 50s

WB: 13
GW: 6

Shots At Goal
WB: 5 (0 goals at 0% accuracy)
GW: 3 (3 goals at 100% accuracy)

Kicking Efficiency
WB: 38%
GW: 57%

Brown has been absolutely outstanding and it was probably her best game with the exception of the Richmond match last year. She’s only just turned 22 and her improvement over the last year or so has been a silver lining for us.

Blackburn was clearly struggling with the after-effects of COVID but was still able to produce an excellent goal and her effort was never anything less than 100%.

I feel that we really started to click (with the excepting of goal kicking) in the second half with Edmonds, Lamb and Ferres all dominating the third and fourth quarters and Grant is really starting to show some very nice signs.

Hartwig’s pressure in defence is what we were missing against Melbourne it was good to see her back.

I should also mention that we did field a team with 9 players under 21 for the 4th consecutive match. Only one other AFLW team has ever fielded a team 9+ players under 21 and that was Gold Coast in R9 2021.

Now as always…

Centre Bounce Attendance

10 - Fitzgerald
8 - Lamb
7 - Georgostathis
6 - Blackburn, Edmonds, Moody
3 - Bennetts,
1 - Ling, Pritchard

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
27 - Edmonds (8 / 1)
25 - Moody (12 / 3)
6 - Toogood (1 / 1)
2 - Morris-Dalton (0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 5
GW: 5

First Possessions
WB: 24

GW: 22

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 22 / 18
GW: 16 / 12

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 76%
GW: 64%

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 50%
GW: 78%

Smothers
WB: 8

GW: 7

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 31%
GW: 56%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency

WB: 53%
GW: 54%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 8
GW: 2

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 4
GW: 1

Score Launches
2 - Brown, Cranston, Moody
1 - Blackburn, Edmonds, Fitzgerald, Lamb, Lynch, Toogood

Shots At Goal
WB: 15 (13%)
GW: 9 (78%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / GWS)
Set Shot: 1.3 / 4.0
Snap: 0.4 / 2.1
On Run: 1.3 / 0.0
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 1.0

0M-15M: 0.0 / 1.0
15M-30M: 0.4 / 1.1
31M-40M: 1.3 / 4.0
41M-50M: 1.2 / 1.0
51M+: 0.1 / 0.0

Targets Inside 50

4 - Gutknecht
3 - Blackburn
2 - Bennetts, Cranston, Toogood
1 - Pritchard

Kick In / Kick In Play On
1 / 1 - Guest

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 6
GW: 11

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 2

GW: 2

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 14
GW: 23

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 23

GW: 14

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 4

GW: 7

Unforced Turnovers By Player

2 - Bennetts
1 - Cranston, Lynch

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 
GW: 3

No Pressure Errors
WB: 6
GW: 6

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
1 - Bennetts, Lynch

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)

162 - Lamb
137 - Brown
133 - Fitzgerald
130 - Blackburn
110 - Cranston
98 - Edmonds
95 - Ferres
84 - Toogood
81 - Gutknecht
78 - Grant
75 - Moody
70 - Pritchard
66 - Hartwig
65 - Lynch
50 - Ling
49 - Georgostathis
44 - Lagioia
44 - Bennetts
39 - Guest
32 - Hunt
22 - Morris-Dalton

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 217 (Elite)
GW: 240 (Off The Chart)

Q2
WB: 229 (Off The Chart)
GW: 226 (Off The Chart)

Q3
WB: 207 (Elite)
GW: 231 (Off The Chart)

Q4
WB: 220 (Elite)
GW: 232 (Off The Chart)

Match
WB: 220 (Elite)
GW: 232 (Off The Chart)

Free Kick Summary
FK.png

Score Sources
SS.png

Very disappointing with the whole thing this year. We started off as trailblazers of the whole women's comp and now we're suffering for it. Plus injuries, covid disruptions...not very interested I'm afraid.
Respectfully, I think you should be very interested. Given the huge disadvantages we have copped along the way and the seemingly Everest mountain we have to overcome to even compete this year should show you just how much it really means

Do not forget, this is year six. Year seven will be different again. We were trailblazers but that does not guarantee success

I am trying to think of a smart and insiring way to finish this post but realize I have drunk five beers, I get my booster shot at 9.30 and then I have to go to work. Maybe that is it. The minutiae of everyday living is made better when the mighty Footscray Football Club plays

It's still comforting that we are the only Victorian team to win the premiership.

Respectfully, I think you should be very interested. Given the huge disadvantages we have copped along the way and the seemingly Everest mountain we have to overcome to even compete this year should show you just how much it really means

Do not forget, this is year six. Year seven will be different again. We were trailblazers but that does not guarantee success

I am trying to think of a smart and insiring way to finish this post but realize I have drunk five beers, I get my booster shot at 9.30 and then I have to go to work. Maybe that is it. The minutiae of everyday living is made better when the mighty Footscray Football Club plays

I agree, considering the number of players poached we've done incredibly well to build a strong young list. We are getting plenty of games into our U21 players and it's going to pay off in a few years. Expansion won't hurt us as much this time around with the depth of the state competitions and the fact that the new expansion teams already have a young list and are looking for older depth which we don't have.

I partially get what NBates is feeling though, it's very tough watching 4-5 of our ex-players be in the top 20 players in the competition but as mentioned above it is comforting that we are the only Victoria club to win it.

I suppose 'not very interested' was the wrong phrase - more like it's hard to get enthused and pop down the road to watch when games are shifted around willy nilly (no one's fault) and the writing's on the wall for the season. Otherwise I do like the women's comp when we have a team on a level playing field with the others.

I suppose 'not very interested' was the wrong phrase - more like it's hard to get enthused and pop down the road to watch when games are shifted around willy nilly (no one's fault) and the writing's on the wall for the season. Otherwise I do like the women's comp when we have a team on a level playing field with the others.

Kinda the same for me. I was keen to follow it this year but the catastrophic start to the season combined with the COVID s**t*ery has turned me off.

Is it OK to want a new coach?
He hasn't had much luck at the start of the season with injuries. He had them playing to the best of their ability last season before they met some stronger sides at the end of the season who had much greater depth. I think he has done a pretty good job really for the players he has got and with so many young players in the side let Burke continue their development and finish what he started.

He hasn't had much luck at the start of the season with injuries. He had them playing to the best of their ability last season before they met some stronger sides at the end of the season who had much greater depth. I think he has done a pretty good job really for the players he has got and with so many young players in the side let Burke continue their development and finish what he started.
I agree. The way the list has been pillaged and with Covid disruptions and the loss of players to injury (like Huntington) we have to accept it is likely to be a slow build. Look how many under 21 players we were fielding ... over half the side wasn't it? It might start to turn around next year or maybe it won't be until 2024, but if we can keep the list together (a big if!) and have at least an average hit rate with our first round draft picks then we should be very competitive from 2024 on.

I was only able to watch about 20 minutes of the match yesterday but I thought we had definitely improved some aspects our play. Some examples are the more creative use of handball, no longer just to get out of trouble but to find a running player who can launch an attack. The positioning of players around the contested ball (being available for that handball). The disposal skills were still a problem but marking and tackling have improved. Despite a couple of glaring exceptions we don't seem to give away dumb free kicks all the time. Overall it just felt like it was more purposeful than when I was watching last year. Even if it wasn't reflected in the scoreline.

Now these may be improvements that are happening right across the AFLW but surely some credit needs to go to Nathan Burke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back