AFLW AFLW 2022 - general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am just so sick of being pillaged.
Not sure how accurate it is, but Teen Wolf (who seems to get a bit of AFLW info) posted on the main board that they have heard we have secured Kaitlyn Ashmore which would be a nice pick up. AFL site is also saying that we are interested in Pheobe McWilliams who I know nothing about.

Not sure how accurate it is, but Teen Wolf (who seems to get a bit of AFLW info) posted on the main board that they have heard we have secured Kaitlyn Ashmore which would be a nice pick up. AFL site is also saying that we are interested in Pheobe McWilliams who I know nothing about.
Didn’t Kaitlyn play for us originally? Edit: Yeah we drafted her in 2013, then she was taken by Brisbane and then North Melbourne. She is 30 now.

Last edited:

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great. Now Lochland is going to Sydney.

Disappointing but I guess more poaching was/is expected. Lochland is 31 now and we've clearly got the best out of her physically but she still was an important cog in the leadership group.

I broke down our 2022A list last night into three separate groups and came up with the following, would be interested in your thoughts.

Cannot Afford To Lose
Blackburn (committed to the club)

Brown
Fitzgerald
Georgostathis
Grant (unlikely to leave for obvious reasons)
Huntington (requested trade to GWS for work-related reasons)
Lamb (committed to the club)
Lynch
Moody
Newton
Pritchard
Toogood (signed with Essendon)

Depth/Developing
Cranston
Bennetts
Berry
Edmonds
Ferres
Gamble
Gutknecht
Hartwig
Lagioia
Lochland (signed with Sydney)
Ling
Morris-Dalton
Smith
Snell

Retire/Delist
Guest (retired)
Hunt
Strahan
Woods

Pretty cheeky of Sydney, first went for Elle Blackburn and then when she turned them down had a bite at Lochland. Seemed like we were targeted regardless if they got the player or not.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Three forwards down since the end of the season.

On the positive side, those 3 only kicked 14 of our 49 goals last season. Yes this is sarcasm.

In reality though, I think Morris-Dalton showed plenty in the second half of the season and she's only 2cm shorter than Toogood but we do need to make recruiting a KPF our top priority.

Don't know if Ashmore is secured, but "most likely" destination is the latest I heard (though she has received, and reciprocated, lots of interest from other clubs).

McWilliams is an old pro (particular emphasis on the old at this stage--turns 37 in late August), albeit a bit of a frustrating player even in her prime. Fairly textbook key forward who can play a role for any team really in need for the next year or two. Led Geelong's goal-kicking last season with 1 per game.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
McWilliams is an old pro (particular emphasis on the old at this stage--turns 37 in late August), albeit a bit of a frustrating player even in her prime. Fairly textbook key forward who can play a role for any team really in need for the next year or two. Led Geelong's goal-kicking last season with 1 per game.

Makes sense for us to go after her for the short term just like with Cranston last season. Just having someone in there who has played 5+ seasons is worth its weight in gold for a young group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not even interested in the women’s league now that they have screwed us over so hard.

They've screwed all 14 existing clubs over now. The first and second expansions I can just about accept/understand (with the exception of the Kearney compensation) as those clubs actually wanted licences.

The fact that Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney can waltz after 6 years and just take anyone they want when all 4 of those clubs not only didn't apply for an initial licence but actually publically stated they did not want one is just an embarrassment and slap in the face, especially to the foundation clubs.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Hahahaha. What a sh1tfully administered competition. F*** off Livingstone.

Also, AFL players by and large are drafted and remain with clubs. Who they barracked for as kids becomes largely irrelevant.

AFLW players: "we want to be recognised as professionals like the men, and be compensated better."

Next minute, Toogood and Prespakis leave because "I want to play for the team I barracked for years ago".

Amateurs all round.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFLW players: "we want to be recognised as professionals like the men, and be compensated better."

Next minute, Toogood and Prespakis leave because "I want to play for the team I barracked for years ago".

Sorry, think you've gone a bit far this time. The two are not connected in any way.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Also, AFL players by and large are drafted and remain with clubs. Who they barracked for as kids becomes largely irrelevant.

Amateurs all round.
It would be a bonus for them that they get to play for the team they barracked for, but wouldn't be the main reason why they left for.

Amateurs all round.
Male players join childhood clubs all the time

Half the trade board is about x player grew up supporting us so we should trade for him

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Disappointing but I guess more poaching was/is expected. Lochland is 31 now and we've clearly got the best out of her physically but she still was an important cog in the leadership group.

I broke down our 2022A list last night into three separate groups and came up with the following, would be interested in your thoughts.
It's hard to judge because form can fluctuate so much week to week and across the season, especially with the younger girls.
I probably only watched 60-70% of our games so others will likely have a better idea than me - but i would break it down as follows:

Cannot Afford To Lose - Tier 1
Blackburn (committed to the club)
Lamb (committed to the club)

Let's face it - we are losing two important girls and will survive - but Blackburn and Lamb are the heart of this team.
Toogood (signed with Essendon)
Huntington (requested trade to GWS for work-related reasons)

Fitzgerald (Now probably our 3rd most important player going into next season)

Important - Tier 2
Morris-Dalton (Belongs in the lower category but moves into this category based on need and late season form)
Hartwig (Already a high level defender and could become elite)
Brown (Has developed into a solid key defensive option)
Lynch (As above)
Moody (Took her game to the next level and is entering her prime as a ruck)
Georgostathis (Has become a great ball winner but I would like to see her get a bit more dangerous with her use)
Newton (Hasn't had the start to her career that you might hope for as a number 1 pick but needs to step up now)
Pritchard (Finished the season well and I believe she will be a good player but I want to see more first)

Developing - Tier 3
Grant (Same as Pritchard)
Edmonds (Showed some great signs last season and will hopefully continue to develop)
Snell (Surprise packet from last years draft and has already cemented her spot in the team
Lagioia (Becoming a good solid player)
Gutknecht (Same as above)
Depth/Role players - Tier 3 (With 75% of our team 21 or under I think the value of these girls increases)
Berry (Good player and will be important with her leadership)
Ferres (Good reliable defender)
Hunt (Not sure why you had Hunt as a delisting candidate but she has some elite traits and provides some important maturity)

Depth/Role players - Tier 4
Cranston (I think will be an important forward option with 3 forwards leaving)
Bennetts (Was patchy last year but will probably hold a wing with Lochland going and Mcleod a ?)
Gamble (A handy depth player who may have to spend the preseason learning to be a forward)
Lochland (signed with Sydney)(I was hoping she would play forward more with Izzy and Bonnie leaving but I guess not)
Speculative - Tier 4
Woods (Showed some positive signs last year and attacks the ball in the air. Deserves a spot)
Ling (Solid U18 form so hopefully develops more next season)
Smith (Unlucky with her injury but again was a solid junior)
Strahan (Hard to say she should be delisted after 1 year - Only the coaches and staff who know her could say that)

Retire/Delist
Guest (retired)
Scott (retired)

McLeod (Really hoping she can get back out on the field)
With Other girls leaving and a compromised draft I don't think we need too many in this group.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't know if Ashmore is secured, but "most likely" destination is the latest I heard (though she has received, and reciprocated, lots of interest from other clubs).

Sorry for misquoting and thanks for the info :thumbsu:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Male players join childhood clubs all the time

Half the trade board is about x player grew up supporting us so we should trade for him
Which ones exactly? Going back to your home state, which also appears to be less prevalent than previous years, is not the same as leaving to join your childhood club.

Bont hasn't left to join Tigers. Chris Grant survived without ever going to St Kilda, Scott West never asked to go to Essendon.

When did we last lose a player who specifically wanted to play for his childhood club?

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Some more details on how many players clubs can lose.

That's a relief, AFLW team can only lose 2 more players to expansion teams this year. Clubs have had a go at extracting Blackburn and Lamb, so I guess Fitzgerald, Brown or Morris-Dalton are next to be targeted, and if any go to expansion teams there's SFA the club can do about it.

What a great time for anyone to be a Western Bulldogs AFLW supporter, eh?

Bonnie-Toogood.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back