footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Marc Webb's wife to join the AFLW side's assistant coaches.
Merit, or nepotism?! Bevo influencing Burke to get 'yes-people'! 🤣

The whole club culture is shot, we need an Essendon-like internal review where all the conclusions have been pre-determined, and a bunch of old stagers are rolled out to give the appearance of pseudo-independence!

And to top it off, one of the AFLW trade ins will only be available when not filming the new series of Stranger Things.

What a time to be a Bulldogs supporter! "Three teams - no finals". :sadv1:

Norf lost a few good players to Hawthorn and Essendon, and are complaining. Remember the pillaging that went on when they entered the competition.
Oh really, I haven't seen/heard anybody from North Melbourne complaining about losing players to expansion (either now or when it also happened last time).

I do recall Craig Starcevich pre-emptively complaining about losing good players (which never ended up happening), falsely equating Brisbane's imaginary struggles with the significant departures from teams that haven't played finals for several seasons.

How should Bulldogs supporters feel about their club being used like a pawn in an opposition coach's disingenuous rant? Seemed to be received warmly at the time, rather than it be seen as a cynical ploy, though I guess it's not my place to say.

What we do know for sure is that if a top-of-the-ladder team (or thereabouts) actually lost Grider & O'Dwyer to Sydney and Anderson & Bodey to Essendon, for example, those new clubs would've had a lot less money to lure the likes of Lochland and Toogood away from the Western Bulldogs.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
A bit OT, but if anyone wants to see the next generation of AFLW talent coming through, the under 15 girl's interleague games are on this weekend. Yesterday saw some brilliant football being played at Greenvale featuring the WRFL, EDFL and AFLSE girls.

Tomorrow at Caroline Springs, starting at 10am, the WRFL girls take on the SMJFL girls.

Oh really, I haven't seen/heard anybody from North Melbourne complaining about losing players to expansion (either now or when it also happened last time).

I do recall Craig Starcevich pre-emptively complaining about losing good players (which never ended up happening), falsely equating Brisbane's imaginary struggles with the significant departures from teams that haven't played finals for several seasons.

How should Bulldogs supporters feel about their club being used like a pawn in an opposition coach's disingenuous rant? Seemed to be received warmly at the time, rather than it be seen as a cynical ploy, though I guess it's not my place to say.

What we do know for sure is that if a top-of-the-ladder team (or thereabouts) actually lost Grider & O'Dwyer to Sydney and Anderson & Bodey to Essendon, for example, those new clubs would've had a lot less money to lure the likes of Lochland and Toogood away from the Western Bulldogs.
I am not quite sure what all of this rant of yours is referring to, but certainly there was some hitching and moaning about losing a player to Hawthorn and your first ever drafted player to the Bulldogs. How about show some respect on our board, I have been banned for saying less on Norf’s board.

I am not quite sure what all of this rant of yours is referring to, but certainly there was some hitching and moaning about losing a player to Hawthorn and your first ever drafted player to the Bulldogs. How about show some respect on our board, I have been banned for saying less on Norf’s board.
If you did know what I was referring to, you wouldn't mistake what I wrote as disrespectful.

No North Melbourne official has complained (unlike officials from some other teams), and the misguided bellyaching from a few supporters has been directed at the club itself.

It would seem you just want to be mad about something AFLW-related. In which case, why make something up when there's a perfectly legitimate source of frustration on offer: top teams (like Brisbane) not losing any significant talent but still acting as if they've been hit as hard as teams lower on the ladder (like the Western Bulldogs).

If you did know what I was referring to, you wouldn't mistake what I wrote as disrespectful.

No North Melbourne official has complained (unlike officials from some other teams), and the misguided bellyaching from a few supporters has been directed at the club itself.

It would seem you just want to be mad about something AFLW-related. In which case, why make something up when there's a perfectly legitimate source of frustration on offer: top teams (like Brisbane) not losing any significant talent but still acting as if they've been hit as hard as teams lower on the ladder (like the Western Bulldogs).
Not quite sure why you keep referring to the foundation club the Western Bulldogs, as a “lower team”, we have won a premiership, only Victorian team to have done so. North has won a reputation for bribing and poaching players when they entered the competition, causing quite a lot of criticism from AFLW clubs and their supporters.

Agree, I am disappointed that we lost Toogood and Lochland, Izzy I understand it was attached to her work. Blackburn and Lamb turned down highly lucrative offers to stay, they love the club.

We missed out in finals this year because COVID screwed our season. We did however, beat the team who won the premiership playing them as the away team, we will be fine.

Not quite sure why you keep referring to the foundation club the Western Bulldogs, as a “lower team”, we have won a premiership, only Victorian team to have done so.
You're not sure of much, yet you remain so eager to jump to the wrong conclusions.

I referred to the Bulldogs as part of a group of "teams lower on the ladder" than Brisbane, because that's where the Bulldogs finished on the ladder in the past season. And I said that once.

I also referred to the Bulldogs as part of a
group of "teams that haven't played finals for several seasons", because the Bulldogs haven't played finals for several seasons. And I said that once.

Rather important to make those points because if the expansion signing rules were fair, teams would only lose talent relative to their recent on-field performance (i.e. Bulldogs should've lost much less talent; Brisbane and Melbourne should've lost much more). This is all pretty obvious to anybody who isn't preoccupied with needlessly insecure and overly defensive responses.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You're not sure of much, yet you remain so eager to jump to the wrong conclusions.

I referred to the Bulldogs as part of a group of "teams lower on the ladder" than Brisbane, because that's where the Bulldogs finished on the ladder in the past season. And I said that once.

group of "teams that haven't played finals for several seasons", because the Bulldogs haven't played finals for several seasons. And I said that once.

Rather important to make those points because if the expansion signing rules were fair, teams would only lose talent relative to their recent on-field performance (i.e. Bulldogs should've lost much less talent; Brisbane and Melbourne should've lost much more). This is all pretty obvious to anybody who isn't preoccupied with needlessly insecure and overly defensive responses.
Jog on back to your own board you have had your say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well at least I agree with you on that, the expansion signings are not fair, but we have more teams in Victoria, so less players to go around and our players will be targeted. Brisbane and Adelaide don’t have the number of teams as Victoria, so unless they have Victorian players wanting to go home, it is easier to retain them.

I guess Melbourne making a GF might want players to hang around for a chance of success.

Anyway let’s all hope Essendon and Hawthorn don’t get rewarded from pillaging but are forced to draft players to develop the game.

Another thing I wanted to mention was the Ashmore trade, having said a few weeks ago that I heard she was most likely to end up at the Bulldogs. But clearly a late new offer from Hawthorn was made, otherwise she would've joined them at the start of the expansion signing period, rather than at the end of the trade period.

That may have (don't know it for a fact) resulted in a switcheroo of the ultimate destination for Daisy Bateman, who is less consistent at this stage but does have the skills (particularly clean hands in traffic and pretty sharp in front of goal) to potentially be a much better longterm pickup. Seemed to be checked out during most of last season, so a change of scenery might get her back on track as she undertakes new career opportunities in football media, which she's been involved with for a while now.

Jog on back to your own board you have had your say
Nah, I feel comfortable to continue contributing to AFLW discussion on every board, with or without your permission.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Expansion has screwed us more than most but thankfully it is now over.
I am keen to look forward and enjoy this emerging competition rather than dwelling on some of the negatives involved in building it.

SO, anyone got any thoughts on who we might take in the draft?

Going off the RMC rankings, Di Donato sounds like a bulldogs type who might be available at our first pick as does Hipwell.
Mia Austin is the highest rated tall forward in the VIC pool so may come into consideration for one of our early picks also.

Any U18's watchers who can provide some better insight?

Expansion has screwed us more than most but thankfully it is now over.
I am keen to look forward and enjoy this emerging competition rather than dwelling on some of the negatives involved in building it.

SO, anyone got any thoughts on who we might take in the draft?

Going off the RMC rankings, Di Donato sounds like a bulldogs type who might be available at our first pick as does Hipwell.
Mia Austin is the highest rated tall forward in the VIC pool so may come into consideration for one of our early picks also.

Any U18's watchers who can provide some better insight?
Well at least we have won a premiership, which is more than Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and Norf can say.

Fellow Footscray Bulldogs players have entered tonight's draft pool

Likely only Lucy Schneider is selected, avg 23 Dpg for the Dogs this year and was dominated in a lot of games

India Baker
Riley Christgoergl
Ellie Huggard
Madeline Marks
Sarah Mccausland
Mara McSweeney
Tahlia Meier
Eliza Morrison
Jamiee-Lee Morrow
Mary Sandral
Lucy Schneider
Jemma Webster