AFLW AFLW 2022 - general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Grace isn’t a race or blood. Nobility, respect and gratitude are character traits admired but hard to find across peoples. Continually defining people by their skin colour or sex is shallow and divisive. We can acknowledge all our history without dividing ourselves.
I don’t think I do have aboriginal heritage but you never know? My ancestors were bought here in chains 7 generations ago, I am a native of this land, it’s the only land I know and I respect it. If we are going to sing the National anthem and acknowledge the indigenous the least we can do is honour our Queen of 70 years with ONE minutes silence?
You clearly feel very strongly about the queen and about this subject, but I think you may be doing exactly what you are accusing other people of doing.

I'm sure that the AFLW's actions are driven by the thoughts and beliefs of the indigenous women competing in the competition rather than the prejudices of middle class white people as you suggest.

I think it's bad they didn't do the minute's silence too. AFL did it before their matches while acknowledging indigenous communities as well. As nation we are paying our respect to her so it was out of line to reject this brief show of respect.

This is not to do with the right or left of politics but just respect, for not just the ‘British Queen’ but Queen of Australia. She has undeniably been a remarkable leader who is a women! She has been this country’s head of state for 70+ years and these ungrateful people (not all, many are coerced) could not give her a minutes silence. Even Gerard Whateley, who we all know his politics, found it disappointing. There was no reason the ‘welcome to country’ could not have happened as well, just like it did with the men. Why are the women way more political than the men’s game, who seem to be for all demographics, ideas and political sides? I have said before I go to the woman’s games, I defend it to mates and work colleagues but they keep putting off their potential supporters. This kind of stuff puts off people who are ‘on the fence’ still about women playing football and fuels the critics. It also distracts members of the Football club board who have a lot more concerns within our club than political grandstanding and activism.

Was it the indigenous round in the men's last week.

I think it's bad they didn't do the minute's silence too. AFL did it before their matches while acknowledging indigenous communities as well. As nation we are paying our respect to her so it was out of line to reject this brief show of respect.
It was not indigenous round in the AFL

So they will have the minutes silence this week then? There are many indigenous who loved the queen. There are also many white middle class people who like to speak for indigenous people, but it is just their own politics or prejudices coming through. Or is the AFLW more a bunch of left wing causes than a legitimate football competition? I think we need the AFLW to build bridges not continually divide the potential fans/audience.
Did you listen to what Daisy had to say.

The only reason I am contributing to this discussion here was because i did hear Daisy yesterday and disagreed with her reasoning, and some said they thought what she said was good. I think that thinking hurts woman’s footy.
It shouldn’t have mattered whether it was indigenous round or not, she was our head of sate and had been for an enormous length of time, show some respect. It wasn’t indigenous round in the finals but there was no problem with the indigenous tribute followed by the Queens because they are not mutually exclusive of one another. It wasn’t ‘disrespectful’ for the indigenous players at Melbourne, Brisbane, Collingwood or Fremantle to have a minute’s silence for the Queen, why then should it have been any different for the women? Are they special in this regard?

The only reason I am contributing to this discussion here was because i did hear Daisy yesterday and disagreed with her reasoning, and some said they thought what she said was good. I think that thinking hurts woman’s footy.
It shouldn’t have mattered whether it was indigenous round or not, she was our head of sate and had been for an enormous length of time, show some respect. It wasn’t indigenous round in the finals but there was no problem with the indigenous tribute followed by the Queens because they are not mutually exclusive of one another. It wasn’t ‘disrespectful’ for the indigenous players at Melbourne, Brisbane, Collingwood or Fremantle to have a minute’s silence for the Queen, why then should it have been any different for the women? Are they special in this regard?
You're not listening. It wasn't disrespectful for the men, because it wasn't indigenous round.

The women aren't special, but the Round was special.

I'm sorry if you can't see the difference.

You're not listening. It wasn't disrespectful for the men, because it wasn't indigenous round.

The women aren't special, but the Round was special.

I'm sorry if you can't see the difference.
I still don’t get how or why, having indigenous round, prohibits a minute’s silence after the death of our head of state of 70 years?

I still don’t get how or why, having indigenous round, prohibits a minute’s silence after the death of our head of state of 70 years?
Because that head of state was head of a institution that caused great harm to the people and culture that we are celebrating in indigenous round

Because that head of state was head of a institution that caused great harm to the people and culture that we are celebrating in indigenous round
That is what some think but not most. Like I initially said this is the views of the activists and white middle class not the general view. If AFLW just pander to the narrow ungrateful view of life then they will reap what they sow. There are so many aboriginals in leadership and general who hate much about their land being colonised but understand it’s inevitability and in the British they get a generally just system. Australia isn’t perfect but the continually aggrieved are causing more harm to their causes. AFLW should just build their skill and be quiet 60319363-9458-42AF-B30F-C8FF91B941A6.jpeg

That is what some think but not most. Like I initially said this is the views of the activists and white middle class not the general view.
That is an incredible generalisation.
I don't really want to buy into this argument, but that is the exact opposite of virtually everyone I know. Even the monarchists I know understand why it is distressing, and are not upset if the AFLW waits a week to acknowledge the passing of the monarch.

Also "generally just system"?! Do you have a sense of the history - colonisation, genocide, stolen generation, etc - you have just white-washed there? Amazing post, truly amazing.

That is what some think but not most. Like I initially said this is the views of the activists and white middle class not the general view. If AFLW just pander to the narrow ungrateful view of life then they will reap what they sow. There are so many aboriginals in leadership and general who hate much about their land being colonised but understand it’s inevitability and in the British they get a generally just system. Australia isn’t perfect but the continually aggrieved are causing more harm to their causes. AFLW should just build their skill and be quiet View attachment 1509820
Look I am guessing you are from an older generation, raised hearing the sanitising and whitewashing of the brutal Australian history, perhaps you have never read the black history of Australia. I don’t think anything will change your opinion, so I am not wanting to clog up this thread by discussing this further.

All I can say is that First Nations friends I have, see the Queen as a symbol of genocide from the British who declared the land “Terra Nullis” empty land, ignoring the millions of Aboriginal people who lived here. The misery of massacres, disease, deliberate cultural genocide, the institutionalisation of children removed from their families. The ongoing racism and ignorance, both deliberate and cultivated by sections of the media and other parts of society.

The AFL is just whitewashing if the Indigenous round of football, is quickly dumped in favour of a minutes silence for a British Queen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is an incredible generalisation.
I don't really want to buy into this argument, but that is the exact opposite of virtually everyone I know. Even the monarchists I know understand why it is distressing, and are not upset if the AFLW waits a week to acknowledge the passing of the monarch.

Also "generally just system"?! Do you have a sense of the history - colonisation, genocide, stolen generation, etc - you have just white-washed there? Amazing post, truly amazing.
I am not even a monarchist. But must respect the Queens amazing life.
I get the hurt the aborigines feel with the loss of their way of life. But in many ways all our cultures suffer this loss of way of life. And it is and was inevitable. My ancestors were bought here in chains. We had our Irish way of life ripped from our people. There is a deep sense of loss with that. Good manners can honour all without this thought of division all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back