AFLW AFLW 2022 - general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Good effort from the Dogs but North were too good. Maybe some dodgy calls but that wasn't the reason we lost.
A couple of unnecessary frees given away in the last quarter but I don't mind that mental attitude (fierce women) - wish we had a bit more of the same mongrel with the men. I love the way they just dive for the contested ball even when outpositioned.

I've said this before but the standard of football is so much better than it was a couple of years ago when it was just kick and hope and nobody could take an aerial mark let alone a contested one. More often it was just a rolling maul all day. That's a credit to the general standard of AFLW play lifting but also to Nathan Burke who has them playing a better style and playing with cohesion and loads of desperation.

It was hard to watch a couple of years back but it's a pleasure to do so now.

I hope Bevo was watching. Any chance we could pinch Burke to mooonlight as an assistant coach in the AFLW off-season?

Despite previously expressed reservations about attending any more AFLW, the opportunity to see a live game at Punt Rd drew me in. As others have said, the standard of play has improved dramatically. But watching live, the umpiring was farcical, inconsistent, indecisive, just plain sub-standard. And if anyone is wondering why Kearney was targeted in that last quarter several times, and we gave away free kicks, I'd suggest because she gobs off constantly. I reckon Lamb and Fitzy had just heard enough. I especially enjoyed how long she stayed down after Lamb's hit. Anyway, they were too good, set up better behind the ball, and their intercepting killed us.

Despite previously expressed reservations about attending any more AFLW, the opportunity to see a live game at Punt Rd drew me in. As others have said, the standard of play has improved dramatically. But watching live, the umpiring was farcical, inconsistent, indecisive, just plain sub-standard. And if anyone is wondering why Kearney was targeted in that last quarter several times, and we gave away free kicks, I'd suggest because she gobs off constantly. I reckon Lamb and Fitzy had just heard enough. I especially enjoyed how long she stayed down after Lamb's hit. Anyway, they were too good, set up better behind the ball, and their intercepting killed us.
Lamb Took Kearney soul with that hit that’s what happens when you gob off

Fell a bit short, but getting the opportunities , just need to make the most out of more forward entries. Like MacLeod as a player, saw that she had a hamstring but could be back soon and reckon she is the type of player that the forward line is crying out for. Can hear Burkey singing out instructions from the boundary line, rides every bump with the players. Gets the absolute max out of the team imo and would love to see him win a flag with this side. Not quite up with the best sides yet, but keep this side together and the future looks pretty rosy.

Last edited:
Thoughts and stats from today’s match…

The umpiring was poor but it was poor both ways despite the free kick count. We got done with some shocking holding-the-ball decisions but we gave away far too many lazy high tackles and push-in-the-backs.

Case in point the game is on the line and Ferres has a free kick to go inside 50 and then Lamb goes and hits Kearney high off the ball is just inexcusable and frankly topped off an extremely indisciplined performance from the whole team.

Our pressure in particular the second quarter was just abysmal and overall our tackling was just not there today. To lose the match as well as the tackle count just shows how poor we were.

We did not win a centre clearance until the fourth quarter and the fact that we didn’t change our setup to adapt

Blackburn only having 1 disposal in the last quarter was also quite concerning and we desperately need to fix our kicking inside 50.

There were still plenty of positives though. Our defence held up extremely well with Lynch, Grant and Brown all excellent but I thought Lynch and Grant, in particular, kept us from being smashed by 6+ goals. It’s so good to see Grant injury free and dominating.

What a pickup Lynch has been, future captain? in fact our recruiting from other clubs has been excellent of late with Edmonds having a breakout season and Cranston being more than handy in the forward line.

Still amazed that Wilcox went so low in the draft, but thank god she did.

Now as always…

Centre Bounce Attendance

12 - Fitzgerald
11 - Blackburn
9 - Lamb
7 - Edmonds
6 - Georgostathis, Moody
1 - Berry

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)

30 - Edmonds (11 / 1 / 2)
25 - Moody (10 / 3 / 4)
1 - Morris-Dalton (1 / 0 / 1)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 4
NM: 10

Edmonds v Rennie (17 contests)
Hitouts: 6 / 6
To Advantage: 1 / 3
Clearances: 8 / 6
Score: 1.0 (6) / 0.0 (0)

Edmonds v King (11 contests)
Hitouts: 3 / 5
To Advantage: 2 / 5
Clearances: 3 / 6
Score: 0.0 (0) / 0.0 (0)

Moody v Rennie (16 contests)
Hitouts: 7 / 6
To Advantage: 1 / 1
Clearances: 6 / 8
Score: 0.1 (1) / 0.1 (1)

Moody v King (4 contests)
Hitouts: 2 / 2
To Advantage: 0 / 0
Clearances: 1 / 1
Score: 0.0 (0) / 0.0 (0)

First Possessions
WB: 24

NM: 28

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 21 / 14
NM: 24 / 15

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 71%
NM: 74%

Smothers
WB: 7

NM: 5

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 54%
NM: 54%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 65%
NM: 63%

Forward Half Contested Marks
NM: 4

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 1
NM: 3

Score Launches
2 - Berry, Edmonds
1 - Georgostathis, Lynch, Newton, Pritchard

Shots At Goal
WB: 8 (50%)
NM: 16 (38%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / North Melbourne)
Set Shot: 1.0 / 2.1
Snap: 1.2 / 1.0
On Run: 2.1 / 3.1
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.1 / 0.0

0M-15M: 2.0 / 1.0
15M-30M: 1.4 / 3.1
31M-40M: 1.0 / 2.0
41M-50M: 0.0 / 0.1
51M+: 0.0 / 0.0

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 0.0 / 1.1

Targets Inside 50

14 - No target
3 - Berry, Lagioia
2 - Moody, Newton
1 - Blackburn, Cranston, Lamb, Morris-Dalton

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 13
NM: 13

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks

NM: 7

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 20
NM: 17

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 35

NM: 36

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 15
NM: 9

Unforced Turnovers By Player
3 - Wilcox
2 - Moody, Pritchard
1 - Bennetts, Berry, Edmonds, Fitzgerald, Hartwig, Lagioia, Lynch

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 11

NM: 7

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Berry, Edmonds
1 - Pritchard

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
162 - Blackburn
161 - Lynch
116 - Fitzgerald
104 - Grant
93 - Ferres
89 - Georgostathis
83 - Bennetts
81 - Berry
75 - Lamb
72 - Brown
72 - Edmonds
72 - Pritchard
66 - Woodley
59 - Moody
59 - Wilcox
48 - Cranston
47 - Hunt
40 - Hartwig
39 - Newton
35 - Morris-Dalton
-4 - Lagioia

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 59%
NM: 41%

Q2
WB: 37%
NM: 63%

Q3
WB: 45%
NM: 55%

Q4
WB: 19%
NM: 81%

Match
WB: 40%
NM: 60%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 205
NM: 193

Q2
WB: 160
NM: 200

Q3
WB: 191
NM: 196

Q4
WB: 211
NM: 198

Match
WB: 195
NM: 197

Free Kick Summary
FK.jpeg

Score Sources

SS.png

Player Stats Table

PS.png
kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

Understand we're a young side, but watching North, Dees etc, we need a fair bit more physicality to our game. The way the other teams bump players off the ball and get body on an opponent so often unsettles the flow. There's not too many on our list who seek body contact, let alone thrive off it. As the skills continue to improve in the AFLW, it's these areas which will separate the better teams and the also-rans.

Understand we're a young side, but watching North, Dees etc, we need a fair bit more physicality to our game. The way the other teams bump players off the ball and get body on an opponent so often unsettles the flow. There's not too many on our list who seek body contact, let alone thrive off it. As the skills continue to improve in the AFLW, it's these areas which will separate the better teams and the also-rans.
I was pleased with their physicality against North.
Maybe not as strong in the one-on-ones (being younger) but they certainly threw themselves into the contest.

I can understand them not seeking body contact in the one-on-ones if they know the opponent is stronger. It'd be dumb play unless they already had better position for the mark.

Last edited:
Prespakis suspended for 2 weeks. Good result as we play them this week.

Very good news, let's hope she accepts or at the very least it gets downgraded to 1. It certainly deserved 2.

We need 2 more wins to pretty much guarantee a finals spot, which I think is the pass mark for this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good news, let's hope she accepts or at the very least it gets downgraded to 1. It certainly deserved 2.

We need 2 more wins to pretty much guarantee a finals spot, which I think is the pass mark for this season.

It was a very dangerous tackle. There is no way she is getting off that.

Looking forward to seeing Millie

But,, Richelle Cranston finally plays her 50th

I remember the exhibition game and watching her warm up just thinking I hope we draft her

She finally got here and has been great. Well done Rocky

This will be the first time we play Geelong as the lesser experienced side, Hunt and Lagioia push us over the edge on that front.

Average Career Games

WB: 27.7
GE: 25.4

Median Career Games
WB: 25
GE: 28

Players Aged Under 21
WB: 7
GE: 4

Ball has been camped up our end, Geelong defending well but can't get it past our CHF line. Gabby gets the first goal of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back