Women's Footy AFLW 2022 - Alyce Parker named in AA Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 AFLW - Round 1 v Gold Coast Suns
Match Details

Gold Coast v GIANTS
Sunday, January 9 at 6:10pm (AEDT)
Great Barrier Reef Arena

Tickets

The AFL has announced FREE ENTRY for the 2022 NAB AFL Women’s opening round clash against the Suns at the Great Barrier Reef Arena.

Please Note: All attendees must QR code and present vaccine status on entry.

Team Selection

The GIANTS will name their final team on Saturday at 5:00pm at giants.afl.

Most Valuable GIANT

Vote for your Most Valuable GIANT! After our game on Sunday, GIANTS fans will be able to vote for their most valuable player in a 3, 2, 1 voting style. Vote exclusively on the GIANTS app - Click here to download it now.

Broadcast

The match will be broadcast live from 6:00pm on Sunday on 7two in NSW and the ACT, Foxtel, Kayo and the Official AFLW App.

Social Media

For all the latest news, follow @GWSGIANTS on social media: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Three Unique Journeys, Three Inspiring Debuts (gwsgiants.com.au)

Three unique football journeys will start on Sunday at Great Barrier Reef Arena in Mackay when Bríd Stack, Ally Morphett and Ally Dallaway make their AFLW debuts.

Irish sports star Bríd Stack followed fellow countrywoman Cora Staunton to the GIANTS ahead of the 2021 AFLW season. An 11-time All-Ireland winner for Cork, who was named the 2016 Ladies Footballer of the Year and has a long history of high-level success in the Gaelic game, Stack landed on Australian shores with her husband and one-year-old child ready to show the AFLW competition what she could do. But just weeks after arriving, and in her first competitive hit-out in a practice match, Stack bent down to pick up the football when a Crows player hit her head on, leaving her lying on a football field in Adelaide with a serious neck injury. Fortunately, Stack was diagnosed with a stable fracture of the C7 vertebra which ruled her out of the 2021 season, but didn’t leave any lasting damage.

A year - and countless setbacks - on, with a full pre-season under her belt, there were tears (of joy this time) when coach Alan McConnell announced Stack will take on the Suns on Sunday. “I’m probably just going to start crying like I’ve been crying since Alan gave me the nod,” Stack told GIANTS TV following the announcement. I’m just so, so excited, it’s probably a massive relief. There were obviously a lot of logistics to work out at home first before I could commit to this season but there’s definitely been a burning desire in me and I definitely want to give it a go. I want to repay this team for the love and support they showed my family last year and hopefully I can do that on the playing field.” Stack is quick, and skilful, and is expected to add another dimension to the GIANTS’ backline.

McConnell shocked Riverina ruck Ally Morphett by confirming the 18-year-old will play her first game against the Suns. "It’s a dream come true,” Morphett said. “I was a bit nervous when we got told we were having a meeting. I was kind of expecting not to be picked, kind of expecting the worst so you won’t be as disappointed. “I’m very excited, I was a bit surprised.”

Morphett hails from Wagga Wagga and was drafted from the Belconnen Magpies in Canberra. At the club’s jumper presentation night before Christmas, she became emotional talking to the crowd about the lengths – and distance – she, and her family, went to for her to even be drafted to her home club. The club’s first pick in the most recent draft, she’s a skilful player with coach McConnell telling fans to watch out for her ‘wow factor’.

A third debutant was revealed with Ally Dallaway’s name put up on the team-list in a presentation to the whole group. “I was obviously super excited and super shocked to find out,” Dallaway said. “I kind of didn’t really have any idea so it was awesome to have it that way. I’m really humbled as well, obviously being last on the list, it took a lot of hard work so I’m super excited.” The injury to Isadora McLeay - herself a replacement player - opened the door for local Sydneysider Dallaway to become a GIANT. Hailing from the East Coast Eagles, Dallaway plays predominately in the midfield and is known for her work ethic and athletic ability.

Congratulations to all ladies on your debut, and good luck for your game!

Gold Coast v Greater Western Sydney at Great Barrier Reef Arena, 5.10pm AEST

GOLD COAST

B:
J.Pregelj 42 L.Ahrens 7
HB: E.Keaney 30 H.Dunn - C 24 K.Howarth 23
C: D.D'Arcy 20 C.Whitfort 4 S.Watson 14
HF: A.Barba 21 K.Surman 26 D.Heslop 25
F: T.Bohanna 12 L.Bella 2
Foll: V.Saad 39 C.Rowbottom 8 J.Stanton 17
I/C: C.Hammond 29 E.Hampson 1 A.Drennan 33 S.Perkins 28 J.Dupuy 27

Emerg: A.Bush 19 W.Randell 15

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
P.Randall 21 A.Lister 14
HB: B.Stack 15 G.Garnett 17 L.Stephenson 12
C: A.Eva (C) 2 N.Barr 8 C.Dalton 11
HF: C.Staunton 13 R.Privitelli 19 K.Loynes 7
F: T.Mackrill 32 H.Zreika 24
Foll: E.McKinnon 23 A.Parker 3 L.Steane 20
I/C: A.Morphett 22 K.Smith 4 T.Hetherington 9 R.Beeson 6 A.Dallaway 30

Emerg: E.Pease 33 L.Graham 37

On Morphett, I'm most curious to see how her game time is split, she wasn't overly comfortable as a KPF in NAB League/ Champs last year and it was something they were working on developing in her a bit, so I'm curious to see if she's deployed there mostly or if she'll get a Ruck/ Interchange rotation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giants edge valiant Suns to close out dramatic opening round (womens.afl)

GOALS
Gold Coast:
Bohanna, Howarth, Perkins
Greater Western Sydney: Staunton 2, Beeson, Privitelli, Smith

BEST
Gold Coast:
Stanton, Howarth, Ahrens, Bella, Rowbottom
Greater Western Sydney: Parker, Eva, Beeson, Zreika, Mackrill

INJURIES
Gold Coast:
Nil
Greater Western Sydney: Dalton (shoulder)

Hope Chloe Dalton's injury isn't serious. Geez, she's had some bad luck. :huh:

View attachment 1308257

Congrats on the winning start, ladies. Alyce Parker was a gun, as usual. Alicia Eva led from the front too.

Liked Ally Morphett's game.
Did really well actually, seems it won't be long until she's clearly our Number 1 Ruck and I thought she was pretty good with the ball when she had it too.

Was a good game all round considering how the first and third quarters went, with Dalton out for a while (presumably) it'll probably be how we have to do it, force the game to be a contested scrap

Did really well actually, seems it won't be long until she's clearly our Number 1 Ruck and I thought she was pretty good with the ball when she had it too.

Was a good game all round considering how the first and third quarters went, with Dalton out for a while (presumably) it'll probably be how we have to do it, force the game to be a contested scrap
Ally is only 18 Erin is 22, so you guy's have 2 ruckmen for 10 years and Ally will only keep getting better took a couple of good marks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back