Women's Footy AFLW 2022 - Alyce Parker named in AA Squad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

The GIANTS will travel to Melbourne for a second week in a row to take on the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos at Arden Street.

Where and When: Sunday, January 23 at 1:10pm (AEDT)

Tickets: The round three match between the Kangaroos and the GIANTS at Arden Street Oval will be ticketed. All attendees must obtain a ticket in advance prior to the match via the assigned ticketing agency.

Adult = $10.00

Junior (under 18) = Free

Last Time They Met: These two sides haven’t met since round two of the 2020 season – a year that both sides went on to play finals but the season was unfortunately brought to an end, with a premier not crowned due to COVID-19. The match was played at UTAS Stadium in Tasmania and after an even opening term of one goal apiece, it was the Roos who were in control of the game and executed a more composed game of footy. This was the match that GIANTS fans first got to see what Lisa Steane was capable of, with the GIANTS’ number 20 making her debut.

TV & Online: The match will be broadcast live from 1pm (AEDT) on Channel 7 as well as on Foxtel, Kayo and the Official AFLW App.

What it Means for the GIANTS: The GIANTS were disappointed with the final scoreboard in last week’s loss to the Dockers. They acknowledged Fremantle as one of the top sides of the competition but equally believed the inconsistent performance was not what the GIANTS are capable of and not a reflection of what they set out to achieve this year. After reviewing and refocusing this week, the GIANTS will be looking for a four-quarter performance and another four points to add to the ladder.

Where’s the Opposition at: Similar to the GIANTS, the Kangaroos have started their season with a 1-1 win/loss ratio. They are coming off a 13-point loss to an in-form Adelaide Crows who have not put a foot wrong yet this season. North midfielder, Ashleigh Riddell, has started her 2022 season strongly, equalling the highest-ever disposals in a match with 35 in round one and backed it up last week with 27 in round two.

In the Mix: With Bec Beeson (injury) and Tait Mackrill (suspension) ruled out for this weekend, there’s a minimum of two changes for the clash against the Roos. Jess Doyle and Libby Graham have been emergencies in previous weeks, as has Jasmine Grierson, who is a former Roo herself. As per the recent Rehab Report, Chloe Dalton will be a test again for this week given her shoulder injury sustained in round one.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Congrats to the Giants' latest debutant - 2021 draftee Jessica Doyle!

Deb rd 3.png

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Unpopular comment

I find it really hard to warm to the AFLW. Not because I am a misogynistic pig, I love the idea of it and I think if it is given time it will be good competition.

I just think presently with the rapid expansion (which was way too fast) the general standard of play and absolutely farcical draft/recruitment it’s a bit of a Mickey Mouse competition.

I really believe the AFL should have consolidated initially having smaller numbers and spending more money on training and development to improve the skill level.

Had they done this they could have grown out more organically whilst growing interest.

Instead they bowed to politics and rushed through teams. You cannot artificially create high level players, it takes time, a lot of money and a lot of patience.

As most of the players are semi-professional and have other jobs they cannot fully dedicate themselves to being professional athletes. This is unfair on them and it’s unrealistic to expect dramatic improvement in skill.

I love my team and that extends to everything under the Giants banner but knowing we are completely compromised from the start in the drafting process makes supporting them a futile exercise.

This is not a male vs woman thing, I love women’s sport and watch it regularly, this is a complaint of how this competition was started and how it is being managed. It is hard to watch presently and I really can’t see that changing given the thin spread of high level talent in a crowded sport.

To me it is a real shame and missed opportunity.

Funnily enough I agree with pretty much everything you say but I also still just watching the women run out there.

I admit I don't have the same emotional attachment to the league as a whole, but it also does feel nice to watch the team without stressing as much about the result - if they win, great. If they don't, good on them. This year I'm not so sure about with the COVID outs and the constant scrambling of the draw and teams though.

I wish they were allowed a number of full time positions per team though. At the moment a lot of clubs are employing some players in the front office which feels a bit dubious when it's not extended across the league. Providing capacity for three to five full time players per team to train and recuperate in the off-season, as required, would be an overall positive.

I like it.
As for the too much expansion, for development leagues, the evidence for best results is having slightly too many players in the initial stages sees the more players getting to the standard faster.
Pretty much all organisations take that route.
At this stage there is a lot of athletes rather than footballers, as time goes on, we'll see more and more that are both.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Star recruit Chloe Dalton returns to the GIANTS line-up for a crucial clash with the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos in Melbourne on Sunday as the competition celebrates Pride Round. Dalton - a Rugby 7s Olympic Gold Medallist - showed her speed and line-breaking ability in her first game for the GIANTS in round one before a shoulder injury forced her from the field and cost her her spot in round two. She returns in place of the injured Bec Beeson.

Also into the side for the first time in 2022 is experienced defender Erin Lorenzini (formerly Todd). Lorenzini - a former WNBL player - played two games in her debut season last year. She replaces the omitted Louise Stephenson.

As revealed on Friday evening, young Sydneysider Jess Doyle will make her AFLW debut against the Kangaroos replacing the suspended Tait Mackrill.

North Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney at Arden Street Oval, 1.10pm AEDT

NORTH MELBOURNE

B:
J.Ferguson 20 D.Hardiman 31
HB: B.Brown 36 E.Kearney - C 9 A.Gilroy 8
C: K.Ashmore 10 M.King 23 I.Eddey 3
HF: S.Abbatangelo 1 A.O'Loughlin 6 J.Bruton 35
F: E.King 60 T.Randall 16
Foll: K.Rennie 26 J.Garner 25 A.Riddell 7
I/C: D.Bateman 11 E.Gavalas 22 N.Bresnehan 12 J.Duffin 27 D.Bannister 2
Emerg: A.Smith 15 G.Campbell 43

In: D.Hardiman, A.O'Loughlin, K.Rennie
Out: A.Hamilton (Omitted), A.Smith (Omitted), G.Campbell (Omitted)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
P.Randall 21 A.Lister 14
HB: G.Garnett 17 E.Lorenzini 25 B.Stack 15
C: H.Zreika 24 A.Eva (C) 2 A.Dallaway 30
HF: C.Staunton 13 R.Privitelli 19 K.Loynes 7
F: J.Doyle 5 N.Barr 8
Foll: E.McKinnon 23 A.Parker 3 L.Steane 20
I/C: T.Hetherington 9 A.Morphett 22 C.Dalton 11 E.Pease 33 K.Smith 4
Emerg: J.Grierson 10 L.Graham 37

In: E.Lorenzini, J.Doyle, C.Dalton
Out: T.Mackrill (Suspension), L.Stephenson (Omitted), R.Beeson (Injured)

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Star recruit Chloe Dalton returns to the GIANTS line-up for a crucial clash with the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos in Melbourne on Sunday as the competition celebrates Pride Round. Dalton - a Rugby 7s Olympic Gold Medallist - showed her speed and line-breaking ability in her first game for the GIANTS in round one before a shoulder injury forced her from the field and cost her her spot in round two. She returns in place of the injured Bec Beeson.

Also into the side for the first time in 2022 is experienced defender Erin Lorenzini (formerly Todd). Lorenzini - a former WNBL player - played two games in her debut season last year. She replaces the omitted Louise Stephenson.

As revealed on Friday evening, young Sydneysider Jess Doyle will make her AFLW debut against the Kangaroos replacing the suspended Tait Mackrill.

North Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney at Arden Street Oval, 1.10pm AEDT

NORTH MELBOURNE

B:
J.Ferguson 20 D.Hardiman 31
HB: B.Brown 36 E.Kearney - C 9 A.Gilroy 8
C: K.Ashmore 10 M.King 23 I.Eddey 3
HF: S.Abbatangelo 1 A.O'Loughlin 6 J.Bruton 35
F: E.King 60 T.Randall 16
Foll: K.Rennie 26 J.Garner 25 A.Riddell 7
I/C: D.Bateman 11 E.Gavalas 22 N.Bresnehan 12 J.Duffin 27 D.Bannister 2
Emerg: A.Smith 15 G.Campbell 43

In: D.Hardiman, A.O'Loughlin, K.Rennie
Out: A.Hamilton (Omitted), A.Smith (Omitted), G.Campbell (Omitted)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
P.Randall 21 A.Lister 14
HB: G.Garnett 17 E.Lorenzini 25 B.Stack 15
C: H.Zreika 24 A.Eva (C) 2 A.Dallaway 30
HF: C.Staunton 13 R.Privitelli 19 K.Loynes 7
F: J.Doyle 5 N.Barr 8
Foll: E.McKinnon 23 A.Parker 3 L.Steane 20
I/C: T.Hetherington 9 A.Morphett 22 C.Dalton 11 E.Pease 33 K.Smith 4
Emerg: J.Grierson 10 L.Graham 37

In: E.Lorenzini, J.Doyle, C.Dalton
Out: T.Mackrill (Suspension), L.Stephenson (Omitted), R.Beeson (Injured)

Great write up . Hope Chloe stars for GWS and you get the four points.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Great write up . Hope Chloe stars for GWS and you get the four points.

Being realistic, it will be a tough game for us. But hopefully there will be a rebound from last week, and Chloe can provide a positive influence. Losing Beeson hurt our run in the middle, and impacted Parker and Eva in the contest. We also need to get Bec Privitelli more into the action. If we can get goals from both Duckie & Bec, it will allow us to score better. Interested to see how the young debutant Jess Doyle goes. She's been good in the Sydney comp, and if she can provide a steady small option, that would improve us too.

Go Giants!

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Melbourne and Freo looking good as Collingwood. Looking forward to Carlton playing on Tuesday. Will see where we are at. Wins are so important. The cats pies game yesterday was tense and hard at it . Melbourne kicked six in the last today . I love this competition . Hope Chloe plays really well.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Game over, and a poor game from our ladies, although they salvaged some pride with a good last quarter.

GWS-W v NM.png

We just weren't in the game in the first half, really poor running game and poor defensively. Also beaten in the contest overall. Not helped by a couple of poor hometown umpiring decisions early, but we were definitely outclassed.

Congrats to debutant Jess Doyle for an excellent mark and first goal in the last quarter.

Last quarter scoring 3 goals and holding Roos scoreless was a sign of pride, but we needed to play like that earlier (and no doubt helped by Roos taking the foot off the pedal).

Not sure where Al goes from here; that's close to our best team (barring injuries & suspension) and he can only tinker around the edges. As someone else said, going to be a long season and we're going to be near the bottom of the ladder. :(

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Game over, and a poor game from our ladies, although they salvaged some pride with a good last quarter.

View attachment 1315041

We just weren't in the game in the first half, really poor running game and poor defensively. Also beaten in the contest overall. Not helped by a couple of poor hometown umpiring decisions early, but we were definitely outclassed.

Congrats to debutant Jess Doyle for an excellent mark and first goal in the last quarter.

Last quarter scoring 3 goals and holding Roos scoreless was a sign of pride, but we needed to play like that earlier (and no doubt helped by Roos taking the foot off the pedal).

Not sure where Al goes from here; that's close to our best team (barring injuries & suspension) and he can only tinker around the edges. As someone else said, going to be a long season and we're going to be near the bottom of the ladder. :(
Just leaves you flat watching that they had a bad game, just got to hope it's a one off

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Just leaves you flat watching that they had a bad game, just got to hope it's a one off
Yes, especially when it's from the start. Running out of petrol on a hot day is one thing, starting cold is another.

Commentators did mention GWS spent a lot of time out on the field in the heat before the start, whereas Norths only had a short session. Perhaps a strategic error?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

NORTH Melbourne has coasted away from a disappointing Greater Western Sydney by 27 points at Arden Street Oval. The Roos are known for putting sides to the sword, and Sunday was no exception, holding the Giants scoreless in the first half to set up the 7.12 (54) to 4.3 (27) result. With the margin at 47 points at the final break, the game opened up in the last quarter in the stifling heat, and the Giants added three goals to nil to close the gap, including one from debutant Jess Doyle.

North Melbourne dominated nearly every facet of the game in the first quarter, winning the ball at the source – against a GWS midfield missing Bec Beeson (ankle) – and finding plenty of loose players on the outside. On a few occasions in the second quarter the Giants managed to spread the Roos across the wide expanses of Arden Street, but then struggled to hit a target going into attack, especially with Emma Kearney (16 disposals, four marks) and Jess Duffin patrolling across half-back.

Giants Skipper Alicia Eva and best and fairest Alyce Parker (15 apiece) tried their absolute hearts out, and first-year Ally Dallaway showed some nice signs, but just did not have nearly as much support as needed.

North Melbourne comprehensively outplayed GWS around the stoppages, leading the clearances 16-8 at the final break. It was reflected in the inside-50 count (32-9) and contested possessions (78-50). But the positive for the Giants was the way they ran out the game, somewhat righting the clearances (20-15), inside 50s (38-20) and contested ball (93-78) by the final siren.

"We got pushed off the ball way too easy. We always knew we had to be good around the contest to combat North Melbourne, because they have very good inside-outside balance. Unfortunately, they showed us a merry dance at the source, so we were always going to struggle to be efficient and effective when that's the case." – GWS coach Alan McConnell

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

The GIANTS' round four match against the Western Bulldogs will now be played on Friday night. Originally scheduled to take on the Western Bulldogs at Henson Park on Sunday, the GIANTS will now host the Dogs in Friday night footy, with the match scheduled to get underway at 5:10pm at Henson Park.

The rescheduling of the round four fixture is due to two additional matches being added to the round.

Tickets already purchased for Sunday’s fixture will remain valid for the revised Friday fixture. Ticketmaster will be in contact should any ticketholders wish to receive a refund due to the change in fixture.

The GIANTS will celebrate Pride Round this Friday in their first home game of the season.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
MVG Rd 3.png

In the cold light of day, the GIANTS' 27-point loss to North Melbourne didn't make for good viewing for coach Alan McConnell. The GIANTS were scoreless until the third term, with the margin sitting at 47 points at the final break, before a three-goal-to-nil last quarter added some respectability to the scoreline. On the broadcast, commentators noted the number of free Kangaroo players, the amount of space they had and the apparent lack of urgency from the GIANTS.

"When you watch the tape back in its entirety, it's not pretty. It's easy to think there are three thousand things you need to fix, but a lot of it comes back to an inability to win the contest and then a loss of confidence that results in a whole lot of other things going wrong," McConnell said. "We need to be better around the ball, and we need to lose the ball a little bit better when we do get our chance with it. I think a lot of things will fix themselves up when we fix those two. I'm confident we'll be better in a lot of areas and that'll have a big impact on the confidence of the team. When as many things go wrong as they did for us on the weekend, it can be a pretty lonely place on the footy field. You might have 15 teammates on the field, but you can often feel like you're trying to stem the tide and create things all on your own, and that's the bit we got to at some points during the game. Alicia (Eva) made the comment where you can overcomplicate it a little bit. In lots of moments in the game, it looked like we weren't trying, but the reality is sometimes we might be trying too hard. It's complex, but it's simple all at the same time."

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Match Details

GIANTS v Western Bulldogs
Friday, January 28 at 5:10pm @ Henson Park
Gates open at 4:10pm

Tickets

GIANTS AFLW Members

GIANTS Members are eligible to book their $0.00 Member upgrade via this Ticketmaster Link. When booking your seat, members will need their AFLW GIANTS Barcode from their Member Emails. Members are able to purchase guest tickets at the time of booking their seat however ticket fees may apply.

For general ticket purchases click HERE. Fans without access to this match can purchase tickets via the preceding Ticketmaster link.

Tickets start for $10.00 with fans under the age of 18 can book a free ticket.*

Our Pride Round

The GIANTS will celebrate Pride Round this weekend, which will see the GIANTS proudly unveil the club's first ever Pride Jumper. AFLW and the GIANTS are committed to being a club and sport for all, and recognising Pride Round provides the football community an opportunity to come together and celebrate inclusivity. Check out more about the Pride Jumper we will be wearing, HERE.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
An interesting issue. No different to Usman Khawaja disappearing from the men's cricket team Ashes' win celebration photo before the alcohol comes out and gets sprayed around.

Clash of different "social agendas", for want of a better description.

I would have preferred that she played, but simply ran out in the normal strip rather than the pride jersey. I would have said simply playing in the pride round doesn't mean endorsing the idea. But, her call, and should be supported for her right to do so.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
An interesting issue. No different to Usman Khawaja disappearing from the men's cricket team Ashes' win celebration photo before the alcohol comes out and gets sprayed around.

Clash of different "social agendas", for want of a better description.

I would have preferred that she played, but simply ran out in the normal strip rather than the pride jersey. I would have said simply playing in the pride round doesn't mean endorsing the idea. But, her call, and should be supported for her right to do so.
Not really. Usman played the game.

The problem is this opens up the old argument of “if a Christian did this” and we end up being divided even more.

Bloody cults. Religions, we as a species would be better off without them. All of them.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Club needs to make a stand and sack this player immediately. You play in the jumper you are given by the club regardless of whether you agree with sponsors/affiliations. There will be plenty of other women willing to take her spot.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
A few non-GWS posters having their say too, but I vehemently disagree with the posted thoughts in the three preceding posts.

It's a collision of beliefs - but some posters want to put one set of beliefs up above others? Presumably because those posting actually support one set over a different set. So, intolerant of other views? Yet others will have a different view.

The article states that Haneen has talked this out with the other women on the team, and they are OK with her having her own beliefs. I suspect being strong in your own beliefs is something most of them understand very well.

Nonetheless, it is a shame. I would prefer to see her play, even if just wearing a normal strip. It's unclear if the decision not to play at all is her decision or the club's, though.

While Voltaire might not be the most appropriate to quote on a religious matter, nevertheless I'll co-opt his saying as being relevant in this case: “I wholly disapprove of what you say—and will defend to the death your right to say it.”

Back