AFLW AFLW 2022 - Round 2 Highlights - What have you like, learnt or loved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is a stat I learned: In the first six editions of AFLW, the leading goalkicker at the end of Round 2 has always gone on to be the highest (or equal-highest) goalkicker across that entire season (meaning H&A + Finals).

How does Kate Shierlaw keep that streak going? She'd either have to finish the H&A season way in front (which nobody, not even Emma Kearney, predicted), or the Saints make finals and she bags a few there too (which, again, I don't recall seeing anybody predict).

Freo's dip this year will be hard to arrest given their injuries and departures. Such a pity as they have been very consistent team so far and were the best team in 2020. The Eagles are even in with a chance against them.

Essendon look to be competitive with the middle tier teams, which is encouraging. Certainly a step up on the other newer teams.

Be interesting to see the ladder in a few weeks when top teams from last year start playing the others.

The AFL would have been better placed starting off with a two division system ala the old VFA. Because the difference between the top teams and the bottom teams is vast. Went and watched the Hawks yesterday and they were miles off St Kilda.

The AFL would have been better placed starting off with a two division system ala the old VFA. Because the difference between the top teams and the bottom teams is vast. Went and watched the Hawks yesterday and they were miles off St Kilda.
I wondered the same before the season, but the trouble is, St Kilda would have been in the lower bracket, based on their performance last year. So wouldn't have made any difference to that game...

I wondered the same before the season, but the trouble is, St Kilda would have been in the lower bracket, based on their performance last year. So wouldn't have made any difference to that game...

No doubt. Just thinking what's going to happen when they play one of the better sides. It could get real ugly.

No doubt. Just thinking what's going to happen when they play one of the better sides. It could get real ugly.
they have purposely fixtured to limit this as much as possible. Although Brisbane vs Hawthorn is a massacre waiting to happen.
To be fair though, even average teams like Geelong/Bulldogs are miles off teams like Brisbane/Melbourne.

Brisbane is the best team by a country mile.
Pretty big statement considering they have played Fremantle and GWS compared to Melbourne who have played Adelaide and North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back