AFLW AFLW 2022 - Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did Alyssa Bannan do enough to get a Rising Star nomination. Definitely clubhouse leader for that and Goal of the Round, albeit a worthy challenge made by Monique Conti for the latter.

After seeing Meg Macdonald getting crunched tonight, one weekly award I think they could add to the schedule is Most Courageous. I know the players vote for one at season's end, but it massively favours the stars over somebody low profile like Niamh Kelly who deserved to win it last year... and didn't come close. Then again, the league is prone to butchering its own awards too (most recently evident with the Mark of the Year nominations last round).

The umpires definitely guessed on that deliberate rushed call, no way they knew for sure it didn't come off Chaston last.

Would've been a pretty wasteful first quarter for Collingwood without that Newman goal (her first for the season is what I thought was said), but never looked like missing with a proper approach, unlike Frederick who still hasn't fixed hers.

Improved camera angle for Victoria Park this year, good to be able to see the far wing.

Not expecting miracles but some of St Kilda's mistakes by key and/or senior players (including Lucas-Rodd, Jakobsson, Vesely) and the notable lack of hustle by a few others of that ilk (possibly underdone-induced, in fairness) has been brutal.

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Would've been a pretty wasteful first quarter for Collingwood without that Newman goal (her first for the season is what I thought was said)
Bennett just corrected himself at half time about it. Definitey an immaterial mistake that just annoys nerds like me. But that's why Jason Bennett is one of the best, actually correcting himself when he has made an honest mistake.

Bennett just corrected himself at half time about it. Definitey an immaterial mistake that just annoys nerds like me. But that's why Jason Bennett is one of the best, actually correcting himself when he has made an honest mistake.
He must've said it both ways. (Or the social media kid threw him under the bus).

But that reminds me of the game last night, both commentary and the Age article below:
"First AFLW outing at Punt Road", "history made"... yeahhh not really.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Can the Ch7 commentators please stop going on about how competitive St Kilda have been. Collingwood is clearly a level above them and the scoreboard reflects that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scoreboard was 3 goals to 2 after quarter time. And 2 of the 3 Q1 goals were from free kicks at point blank. Disposals were 225-194, tackles were 36-60, inside 50s were 24-23.

The conversation could be about how Collingwood (10+ goal better team on paper) missed a big percentage booster against the likely wooden spooner. But given neither team has had much time to adjust to their significant outs, the nice way of putting it is to say St Kilda were a lot more competitive than anybody expected (which is true).

Morrison and Crockett-Grills out takes Geel v Carl from a should-win to a must-win for Daniel Harford. There's been a lamentation among some Carlton folk this week that 2020 was the only year they looked like properly contending under him, as if they didn't get carved up by the Pies early in that season too.

Of course the fuel gets added to the fire if they put up a performance reminiscent of their last visit to KP, though that ridiculous loss to Geelong in 2019 was actually a clear turning point for them.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sometimes I think the commentators cause half the public angst against umpiring through their lack of understanding about rules. Being under pressure is irrelevant if you knock the ball through for a rushed behind from outside the goal square.
There shouldn't be a difference between a spoil going through for a point, and punching the ball away from two opposition players and going through for a point.

If they are paying these as free kicks, then every spoil outside the goalsquare that is rushed is a free also.

The Pies first goal, there are two pies to the ball carriers right, one Saint next to them. Ball carrier plays on but gets a 50m penalty because??? Goal pies.

Pies second goal, ball gets punched away from two pies. Free kick and goal to the pies.

3rd quarter pies goal, pies player take on tackler, gets caught, throws up ball and punches away. No free kick paid to the Saints in their forward line, ball goes straight through middle for a pies goal.

The umpiring was atrocious and blatantly one sided. I'm not saying it's deliberate, probably just psychological with them.

Aardvark

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2011
Sth Gippsland
AFL Club
Sydney
Can the Ch7 commentators please stop going on about how competitive St Kilda have been. Collingwood is clearly a level above them and the scoreboard reflects that.
and could someone tell the fox commentators that St Kilda kicking two points in 3 quarters is not really "Peppering the goals".

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
what’s happening with the abandoned game between the Lions and the Bulldogs there’s been no news which seems strange

according to the press release

"
*The AFL is working closely with the Brisbane Lions and Western Bulldogs on a match between those clubs to be communicated as soon arrangements are finalised.

Chloe Scheer going to waste. Even if you hadn't seen her onball work with the Crows last year, the very few touches she had tonight suggested she can deliver the skills and smarts which are lacking at the coalface for the Cats (similar to what McEvoy provided for Carlton). Gotta get your best players working in tandem as much as possible.

Carlton are fixtured to face the Bulldogs next weekend for a big chance to get ahead in the win-loss column--a position they weren't in last year until the completion of the final round. Just as much of a must-win as tonight's game was, because it's to be followed by tough games v NM & Adel at home and Frem in WA.

He answered me on twitter about it.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
How come there is such a big gap between the two games in Footscray today? Games for roughly 2 hours so the WCE v GC game will be done about 2:40 and then there is still 2 hours until the next game. Why build it up as a double header? There is no chance I’m sticking around 2 hours waiting for the next match to start!

How come there is such a big gap between the two games in Footscray today? Games for roughly 2 hours so the WCE v GC game will be done about 2:40 and then there is still 2 hours until the next game. Why build it up as a double header? There is no chance I’m sticking around 2 hours waiting for the next match to start!

I’m guessing its protocol for some covid cleaning and small maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back