NAB AFLW Round Four – Updated Fixture

Thursday, January 27STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. FremantleVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:40pm5:40pm
Friday, January 28
GWS GIANTS vs. Western BulldogsHenson Park (NSW) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
St. Kilda vs. West Coast EaglesSkyBus Stadium (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm
Saturday, January 29
Adelaide Crows vs. MelbourneNorwood Oval (SA) (Seven)3:10pm2:40pm
Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong CatsMaroochydore Multi Sports Complex (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Sunday, January 30
Carlton vs. KangaroosIkon Park (VIC) (Seven)3:10pm3:10pm
Gold Coast SUNS vs. RichmondMetricon Stadium (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Additional Matches*
Tuesday, February 1STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. West Coast EaglesVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
Western Bulldogs vs. FremantleWhitten Oval (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm

The scheduled Round Six match between Collingwood and the West Coast Eagles and the scheduled Round 10 match between the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle will be played on Tuesday, February 1.

AFL General Manager Competition Management Laura Kane said while the ongoing pandemic continues to impact the 2022 NAB AFL Women’s Competition, the AFL remains committed to delivering a full season in a safe manner anchored in the advice of respective governments and public health officials.

“We remain committed to completing the season and awarding a Premier and the updates to the fixture aim to provide the competition with greater flexibility as we progress the season,” Ms. Kane said.

“The decision to schedule additional matches to the fixture for Fremantle and the West Coast Eagles was made in close consultation and with strong support from each Club following updates to border restrictions relating to Western Australia.

“We remain cognisant of the outside-football commitments of many players and staff from WA who are currently on the road in Victoria, and we thank them for their commitment and understanding.

“The league will continue to work closely with each club and the AFLPA, and will remain led by the advice of respective state governments and relevant health authorities as we work through arrangements for the coming rounds. I want to thank the AFLPA for working with us to provide the flexibility required to progress the season.

“Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs will participate in the additional games with the Magpies to have a five-day break between their Round Four game and their match-up against the Eagles next Tuesday night. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are ready to return for Round Four after two weeks of no matches due to AFL Health and Safety Protocols.

“For the time being, the fixture remains a week-to-week proposition, and as such, we want to thank every AFLW Club, players and the AFLPA, umpires, venues, governments, ticketing agents and all supporters for their understanding.”

Ticketing Update
  • For supporters who have purchased tickets to matches in Round Four, those tickets remain valid. The Ticketing Agent will be in contact should any ticket purchaser wish to receive a refund.
  • Details of ticketing for the additional matches - Collingwood vs. West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs vs. Fremantle – will be released separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its against Islam. Deregistered is a bit harsh, everyone is entitled to have their own beliefs.
If her employer requires her to wear a rainbow uniform as part of the job and her beliefs/religion don't permit this she should be seeking employment elsewhere.

She is entitled to her own beliefs but if these interfere with her ability to do the job she is paid for then she has to go.

What exactly are the "religious reasons"? And this goes for all muslims? I'm genuinely trying to learn here.

From this article, it sounds more like peer pressure than her own thoughts:

She played in the 2021 pride round, but the Giants did not wear a pride jumper. Zreika - who supports her teammates and their beliefs - strives to be a leader within the Muslim community and it is understood that wearing the jumper in Friday’s game could compromise her standing within her community.

If her employer requires her to wear a rainbow uniform as part of the job and her beliefs/religion don't permit this she should be seeking employment elsewhere.

She is entitled to her own beliefs but if these interfere with her ability to do the job she is paid for then she has to go.
So, by the same token here Bachar Houli should not have participated in ramadan because the lack of nutrients could have affected his training and performance. He should thus seek employment elsewhere.

That's a bit ridiculous. People are not robots, we cant all have the same beliefs as there are different religions and its something that needs to be respected.

Full points to the journo who manages to get a comment from GWS "club legend" Israel Folau on this matter.

So, by the same token here Bachar Houli should not have participated in ramadan because the lack of nutrients could have affected his training and performance. He should thus seek employment elsewhere.

That's a bit ridiculous. People are not robots, we cant all have the same beliefs as there are different religions and its something that needs to be respected.
What's her belief? That it's wrong to be gay?

That is a different situation and would be up to the club's fitness/medical staff to determine whether he could still perform to an acceptable level.

Completely different scenario. Her action is divisive, and offensive in modern society.
De Kock got slammed for not taking a knee for BLM, for a similar societal reaction to being offensive, and so should she.

What's her belief? That it's wrong to be gay?
well it is wrong in both the Quran and Bible.

For the record i have no dog in this fight, im just saying that people who are very religious will always stick to those values first. I am also sure the club would have known this when recruiting her.

Its against Islam.

What is, exactly? This can't be about wearing a pride guernsey, surely. What is the belief that contradicts love and happiness? Scratching my head on that one.

Many people are trying so hard for a good cause and lovely message, and one player is saying, "Nah, I'm against all that". I'm sure Zreika is a lovely person, but at the same time this spreads a terrible message.

For the record i have no dog in this fight, im just saying that people who are very religious will always stick to those values first. I am also sure the club would have known this when recruiting her.
That's fine, and there are plenty of jobs out there that don't require employees to wear a rainbow uniform. She should not be given the right to wear a GWS jumper (of any design) again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gee its pretty easy to rustle feathers these days. Anyway, already hijacked this thread. I wish Zreika well.

On another note, really looking forward to Crows/Melb

There's the problem. Love and happiness is not the problem.
People in power, or position of influence, have managed to put the religion teachings to the side and carry on with a societal change for the good of the wider community.
What makes her so special, and deserve to be exempt from ridicule?
I'm sure there would have been gay people on gold coasts team whilst Gary Ablett was captain.
I can't imagine Gary would've gone up to the coach and said he wouldn't play if the Gay person was also playing.
That's essentially what she's saying.

well it is wrong in both the Quran and Bible.

Well many Muslims and Christians don't have a problem with gay people. Seems more that she's just prejudiced.

To play devil's advocate here: why did she come out and specifically say she is withdrawing from the match because it would compromise her beliefs to wear a pride-themed jumper? She could have said she had hamstring soreness or a million other things (mental health reasons etc) and nobody would have blinked an eyelid.

This doesn't seem that hard.

Zreika is welcome to her beliefs, as long as she doesn't express them in a harmful or abusive way. There is no obligation for her to endorse pride round, and she is even free to speak out against it if she wishes. Won't make her very popular with her teammates but she is welcome to her beliefs.

However, it is obviously an expectation that you will wear your team's jumper. If you're not willing to, then you don't play, and you cop whatever opportunity loss comes with that choice. Maybe your club decides you're more trouble than you're worth. Maybe they decide to give your spot to someone who won't withdraw from matches for personal beliefs. That's the risk she takes by taking a personal stance here.

She can tell her community, sorry, but that was my team's jumper, I had to wear it. Or else she can tell them, I didn't agree with the jumper so I chose to sit out the match to the potential detriment of my career. Or she can just say nothing. Those are her three choices.

Clearly none of those choices entitle her to use homophobic slurs. I haven't seen her comments yet beyond simply withdrawing from the match so I'll reserve my judgement there.

Last edited:

Zreika is welcome to her beliefs, as long as she doesn't express them in a harmful or abusive way. There is no obligation for her to endorse pride round, and she is even free to speak out against it if she wishes. Won't make her very popular with her teammates but she is welcome to her beliefs.

However, it is obviously an expectation that you will wear your team's jumper. If you're not willing to, then you don't play, and you cop whatever opportunity loss comes with that choice. Maybe your club decides you're more trouble than you're worth. Maybe they decide to give your spot to someone who won't withdraw from matches for personal beliefs. That's the risk she takes by taking a personal stance here.

She can tell her community, sorry, but that was my team's jumper, I had to wear it. Or else she can tell them, I didn't agree with the jumper so I chose to sit out the match to the potential detriment of my career. Or she can just say nothing. Those are her three choices.

Clearly none of those choices entitle her to use homophobic slurs. I haven't seen her comments yet beyond simply withdrawing from the match so I'll reserve my judgement there.
Thoughts on parallel with Quinton de Kocks stance a few months ago in BLM movement?
In my view it's essentially the same, offence via lack of participation in a team wide support for an important societal issue.

Haneen Zreika should be deregistered for her stance on pride round.
If players lose their jobs for not getting the jab, so should she.
Homophobic woman I bet wouldn't be welcome in most AFLW changerooms now.
It’s literally against the Religion of Islam to support LGBTQ practices. The rainbow jumper represents support of those practices.

I’m very proud that Haneen Zreika stood up for her beliefs and ideals. She takes her faith seriously and as a Muslim myself, I respect that. In fact, I would have done the same thing. We simply don’t toss away our ideals just to please the sportspeople in those “changerooms”.

Yes, consequences come with actions, but any adverse consequence is worth persevering through if it means keeping our faith intact.

That is a different situation and would be up to the club's fitness/medical staff to determine whether he could still perform to an acceptable level.

Its not really about that its about whether it compromises his ability to fulfil his contractual obligations..the point is once you make the judgement thats not ok you have to apply it in all circumstances or its hypocritical you cant pick and choose when to apply it. Personally i would rather the league wasnt that litigious in any circumstance and made allowances for each player's personal beliefs.

Thoughts on parallel with Quinton de Kocks stance a few months ago in BLM movement?
In my view it's essentially the same, offence via lack of participation in a team wide support for an important societal issue.

I think it was a shitty thing to do. At best you could say he was ignorant, but frankly I don't buy the ignorance excuse either.

One thing I'm not sure on was whether it was a club decision for everyone to kneel in solidarity for the BLM movement, or if it was the individual players deciding collectively to do it. There's a subtle distinction. If it's a club-initiated show of support on an important societal issue, as you say, then his choosing to abstain from it is choosing to directly defy the club and would rightly come with consequences from the club. Whereas if it is an individual player-led thing, it would just mean he is separating himself from his teammates. Either way I think it's shitty, but in the former case the club would be absolutely in their rights to take punitive action.

It's a slightly different situation, anyway. De Kock didn't choose to withdraw from the match because he didn't want to kneel. If he had, then fair enough. That would be his choice and he would have stuck his flag in the ground for what he believed. Likewise here, I don't begrudge Zreika deciding she wants to abstain from the game because she doesn't want to associate herself with pride round. That's her choice and her belief. Personally I think it's a really shitty belief to hold, but hey. She's made her choice. Now she has to accept that it may come with consequences, including potentially losing her AFLW career.

I agree with all of that up to the last para but i think the last para is a non issue unless and until such time as she was to make any slurs and i havent seen her do that. Shes entitled to respectfully make her own choice about her practices (which as you point out could have consequences for her that she has to accept) so long as she doesnt speak hatefully towards others. For all we know she is being very respectful and her team is fine with it.

I agree with all of that up to the last para but i think the last para is a non issue unless and until such time as she was to make any slurs and i havent seen her do that. Shes entitled to respectfully make her own choice about her practices (which as you point out could have consequences for her that she has to accept) so long as she doesnt speak hatefully towards others. For all we know she is being very respectful and her team is fine with it.

Agreed that she is entitled to make her own choice as long as she doesn't act hatefully. For example, if I had religious beliefs that said I'm not supposed to exert myself on Sunday (I'm just pulling something out the air, I have no idea if there are religions with that practice) and so I made myself unavailable for Sunday matches or training sessions, that would be my belief. But it would probably mean clubs would decide I'm not worth the bother.

I wouldn't be surprised if GWS decided that they don't want someone who won't support the LGBTQ+ community on their list, or someone who will pull out of matches because of their beliefs. I certainly wouldn't shed a tear.

Edit: All that being said, the whole "maybe she is being very respectful thing" isn't going to mean much in the locker room. When someone makes it clear that they won't associate themselves with support for many of their teammates, not being actively hateful in the process is literally the lowest bar to clear. Hell, I'm not a member of the LGBTQ+ community, but if one of my colleagues expressed the same opinion it would heavily tarnish my opinion of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back